Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

Why do Somalis pass each other?

Kool_Kat   

I've always wondered, why is that when Somalis cross each other on the street they pass by without saying hi? Or they give you this look like they ain't seen a Somali person before?

No offense to anyone, but do we have too much pride to say hello to each other as Somalis? I see people from different nationalities, and it's like they are always happy to see each other. I see gaalada caadiga ah, and it's like sayin' hello or good morning to you makes their day.

What is it with us Somalis? I ain't lying, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying Hello to a Somali person I don't know, but why is that?

Holla...

Hibo   

lol @El~nino

kool_kat hello there!

I don't know why is that, but i can tell you from an experience it starts with individual basis, just try to say hello to any nomad & I bet they will respond with smile & worm hello back. Nobody is entitle to get anything they didn't give, so there it is. ci'a

illmatic

Hibo   

man!! you don't know anything, or might i say you don't understand how socio-cultural elements work sometimes. I studied volentarily one case where the subject is to cover from social deviations and cultural assimilations, and thus came up with this conclusions: each and every traumatized victim from places where things were morally settled are quite understandably prone to adopt on places where the inhibitants are not morally so, that is when I examined the moral aspect in the final resettlement for one to inhibit a place where the inner psychological morale is not flexibly release its respectable wide characteristics. However, the essay was very long, these are the few things I recall, but interestingly enough was the other part of my research that concentrated the impact of socio-cultural assimilations at any age, more particularly, I devoted various cases where Somalida are explicitely proving the consequences for one way or another, comparing to a previous study I once found in the question you presented here.

Man!!! I will send you those info. sooner. lol

nice-guy   

kool--cat... nice question sis..

i think every1 is expireincin it the same way, and we r all askin our selfs why does it happen, but wen it happen to me several times, i dicided not to bother with young pple again tats wen i saw pple not even respondin to (salaamu caleykum), which only a (jew) does. i saw jew-arabs, cos u cant tell the differce and said (s. caleykum) they will answer ( ahlaan) so somalians will not even say tat. but i clearly foundout its the young pple, so i only greet dearly the elder and i dont care if they respond or not, atleast they wont say salaamu caleykum was not a good start....lol like some pple do.

peace..

TextText

Hibo   

hey, I didn't know you were CAT, ahahahaha, I was reading your name like its a KOOL KHAT, which presumably suggest that you are a cool khat chewer, lol. Never mind if we sit together for the sake of it, as they said, "rag waa shax iyo shaah iyo sheeko waxloo kala garan waayay". lol

take it easy, girl.

Hibo   

KK

"I see people from different nationalities....happy to see each other."

These people you are talking about are elderly or in midlife. You don't see the teens from other nationalities greeting each other on the streets. And it's the same way for Somalis. Older Somalis greet each other, and the young greet the old...(some)though they won't greet other teens.

Baydan   

nice_guy

Mine but the name is apt, very much so!

Like you, I used to be such a nice person too only I was led astry..got poisened I suppose lol I guess because I lived in small town for quite a while when I visit neighboring big cities where you naturally run into lots somalis I cant help but greet and smile at every somali that bypasses me..untill this one day this duq iga jajabisay..she was the most grim, mean faced being I've ever had the displeasure of running into..and she was old she was suppose to be motherly kind and warm. After that I was like forget this gurl you dont need to greet and smile at anybody..somali or no.

Nice topic KoolKat cwm11.gif

[This message has been edited by Baydan (edited 03-27-2002).]

Hibo   

good topic

i thought it was just me.

walaahi, when i see somalis especially elders, i say asalaamu aleykum and they just look me up n down and keep on walking. that makes me mad.

thats just very disrespecting!!!!

well ani kooley ajar lee ii socdaa.

peace.

Naasir   

**Khat A.K.A Kool smile.gif Fantastic Topic sis

I have thought about it many times, I think the haters among each other is so strong and it is in our blood, then I said to myself, "Either live with it or leave it" Well since I am Maryooleey 4 ever I might as well live with it.

**Najma Ajar beel, Dambi aad u siyaadihee dadka ee afkaada isku qabso smile.gif

Later Nomadz

------------------

Hibo   

A smile can perk up the weary,

bring cheer to the discouraged,

sunshine to the sad,

and is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought,

begged, borrowed or stolen,

for it is something

that is of no value to anyone

until it is given away.

When people are too tired

to give you a smile, give them

one of yours.

No one needs a smile so much

as he who has none to give.

Hibo   

Especially Somali Women. They are expert on this field. Rolling their eyes, giving dirty looks, whispering comments as soon as they see another female, some will even walk right past staring like there's no 2morrow. I was in Toronto last summer, in the process of visiting relatives, I happened to ride an elevator in Dixon with an Old woman(late 50's early 60's.) She was wearing athletic socks on her hands and feet, stuffed like a medical cast. The first time I saw this I was alarmed and thought that she had somehow simultaneously broken her hands and feet, I Smiled and said my Islamic greetings (asalam alaikum), To my surprise she says " You Somali"? Not even responding to my greetings..I said, "Eedo Haa Somali baan ahay" she giggles and says "NO NO, You No Somali" till this day it bewilders me what her reasoning was, either she was bluntly arrogant or wanted to practice her English on me. Being so curious about the socks in her hands, i let her comments slide by, and asked what happened to her but then she explained that she was decorating her body with henna -- some new trick to do after the henna is washed off--

So, KoolKat it beats me too, wish I was a psycologist and figure out myself the method behind their rudeness. I like the above poster's poem, its so true.. Smile is a free therapy.

God Bless.

------------------

Live today to the fullest because tomorrow is not promised".

Salaan...

Ladiyoos:

Perhaps, it was your appearance that freaked the hell out of that lady to assume you not being a Soomaali. Perhaps, it was the way you dressed. Perhaps, it was, in her presupposed mind, your so kind of offering a greeting--and an Islaamic one. Perhaps, she was mad and was minding her own business, thus your own interuption made her unease. Perhaps, perhaps...the theories are on and on. smile.gif

Well, ani indhahaa ka salaama. And if I see a one in elavator, my salaam will never be late. Especially to elders. Salaan is not tough to say. I must hesitate, though, to offer a one to gabdhaha, because I know what they will think of it. A pick-up line, perhaps.

Macsalaama!!