Sign in to follow this  
asha aviv

how many laguages do u often hear in the somali language

me   

^never heard of that word either.

The dude with the unspeakable name must have been raised by nuns.

Taliban   

Originally posted by me:

how many words does the Somali language have? whats the percentage of borrowed words? 2%?

It's not only about how many words the Somali language has, it's also about non-Somali languages (with some Somali words) spoken by Somalis. Af-Maay, Af-Mushunguli and Af-Baraawe are few examples. Those non-Somali languages are spoken by at least a combined 25% Somalis. About the percentage of borrowed words, I would put it in the range of 35%-50%.

me   

^^ Those are Somali languages. They are dialects of the Somali language. So they counnt as Somali.

Whats a Somali language to you?

Taliban   

Originally posted by me:

Those are Somali languages. They are dialects of the Somali language. So they counnt as Somali.

You're incorrect; they aren't Somali dialects. If you have listened to or read those languages, then you would know it's not Somali. Sure, there are some words they have borrowed from the Somali language, but it's a small percentage of borrowed words. For example, it's not like:

Maxaad rabtaa? or

Maxaad dooneysaa?

It's:

May fadaase?

How close is that to a Somali dialect? The following are excerpts I copied from a Maay site:

Farty Afky Maayky may liing etheegsythey Alifky Roomangky, yeetho haruufo bersho liing doorythi weerdhingty Afky Maayky ing gaarky e. Alifky Afky Maayky may leyaa lapaatung i afar shibly 24, shang 5 shaghal oo aasa'aas e, i hal 1 shaghal ing yaal.

Afky Maayky may leyaa hal shaghal ing yaal oo e harafky (Y), kaasoo weerdhingtis ku gediising weerdhingty shaghale (i , e). Shaghal ing yaalky “Y” may liing etheegsythey weerdhing ing gaar e Afky Maayky, oo e “ieh” taasoo eed liingku dereemow dhamaadky kelmetho Afky Maayky.

Misaal: teesy sedy lamy misgy bary

Maadaama harafky “Y” liing etheegsythow shibly i shaghal haangby, sy liing shak kasy madi usy shibly eyi i madi usy shaghal eyi, may liing suubiyey sher’e ly erraw Shorongshoor

Harafky “P” may ly etheegsythey madi harafky “B” weerdhingtis futhudy, weerdhingtiisny may ku kooyase faruuy’o mayny ing dhowya harafky afky Ingriisky ‘P”.

Misaal: apaal heped lipee hapoog Hapiipy

Harafky Y' may liing etheegsythey weerdhing ing gaar e Af Maay, weerdhingtiisny may ly too etaa weerdhingty ky jerty kelmytho afky Telyaanighy (signore, agnello).

Misaal: y’aay’ur y’isaang maay’y muy’y

Now, be honest and tell if the above Maay excerpts are Somali dialects.

me   

The question still remains whats a somali language?

Are these people Somalis or not? and if they are Somalis, isn't their language a Somali language?

Taliban   

Originally posted by me:

The question still remains
whats a somali language?

Are these people Somalis or not? and if they are Somalis, isn't their language a Somali language?

Somali is an Afro-Asiatic language, of the East Cushitic branch. It has borrowed a significant number of words from Arabic since the arrival of Islam. It borrowed from the English, French and Italian languages, by way of colonization. It also borrowed some limited words from the Hindi and few other languages, by way of trade.

Yes, these people are Somalis. They speak their own language along with the Somali language (some speak little Somali). It's worth to note that Af-Maay was once an official language of Somalia along with af-Somali; it will remain a strong language spoken by millions of Somalis.

Rose   

Originally posted by Taliban:

quote:Originally posted by me:

how many words does the Somali language have? whats the percentage of borrowed words? 2%?

It's not only about how many words the Somali language has, it's also about non-Somali languages (with some Somali words) spoken by Somalis. Af-Maay, Af-Mushunguli and Af-Baraawe are few examples. Those non-Somali languages are spoken by at least a combined 25% Somalis. About the percentage of borrowed words, I would put it in the range of 35%-50%.
Dude af Af-Maay is totally somali.

It has a dialect that's all. I know coz I'm one.

Rose   

quote:Originally posted by me:

Those are Somali languages. They are dialects of the Somali language. So they counnt as Somali.

You're incorrect; they aren't Somali dialects. If you have listened to or read those languages, then you would know it's not Somali. Sure, there are some words they have borrowed from the Somali language, but it's a small percentage of borrowed words. For example, it's not like:

Maxaad rabtaa? or

Maxaad dooneysaa?

It's:

May fadaase?

How close is that to a Somali dialect? The following are excerpts I copied from a Maay site:

Farty Afky Maayky may liing etheegsythey Alifky Roomangky, yeetho haruufo bersho liing doorythi weerdhingty Afky Maayky ing gaarky e. Alifky Afky Maayky may leyaa lapaatung i afar shibly 24, shang 5 shaghal oo aasa'aas e, i hal 1 shaghal ing yaal.

Afky Maayky may leyaa hal shaghal ing yaal oo e harafky (Y), kaasoo weerdhingtis ku gediising weerdhingty shaghale (i , e). Shaghal ing yaalky “Y” may liing etheegsythey weerdhing ing gaar e Afky Maayky, oo e “ieh” taasoo eed liingku dereemow dhamaadky kelmetho Afky Maayky.

Misaal: teesy sedy lamy misgy bary

Maadaama harafky “Y” liing etheegsythow shibly i shaghal haangby, sy liing shak kasy madi usy shibly eyi i madi usy shaghal eyi, may liing suubiyey sher’e ly erraw Shorongshoor

Harafky “P” may ly etheegsythey madi harafky “B” weerdhingtis futhudy, weerdhingtiisny may ku kooyase faruuy’o mayny ing dhowya harafky afky Ingriisky ‘P”.

Misaal: apaal heped lipee hapoog Hapiipy

Harafky Y' may liing etheegsythey weerdhing ing gaar e Af Maay, weerdhingtiisny may ly too etaa weerdhingty ky jerty kelmytho afky Telyaanighy (signore, agnello).

Misaal: y’aay’ur y’isaang maay’y muy’y

Now, be honest and tell if the above Maay excerpts are Somali dialects.
I could't read or understand that though I am Rahanweyne and speak Af-maay

There's no P in the lingo and I see quite a few Ps. Weird

Taliban   

shufeer = chauffeur (French)

Originally posted by Rose:

Na kalmayaay! (Oh help us!)

What's the meaning of "hapoog"?

Maybe you speak a different dialect of af-Maay. How can you not read it? It's written in English alphabet, and even those people whose alphabet is the English can attempt reading it. And you're wrong; Maay have the "p" letter in their language.

Rose   

shufeer = chauffeur (French)

quote:

Originally posted by Rose:

Na kalmayaay! (Oh help us!)

What's the meaning of "hapoog"?

Maybe you speak a different dialect of af-Maay. How can you not read it? It's written in English alphabet, and even those people whose alphabet is the English can attempt reading it. And you're wrong; Maay have the "p" letter in their language.
I could read it but it made little sense. Perhaps ur right, its most definitly a different dialect to the one I speak. There are a few dialects within Af-maay itself.

I'm not wrong. There are no Ps in the language.