Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

Seacom project has landed Africa..Cheaper internet

Som@li   

0,,2365412_4,00.jpg

One of three projects to provide high-capacity Internet bandwidth to eastern Africa finishes Thursday. Experts say more access will lead to lower prices and greater use of the Internet among Africans.

The cost of accessing Internet services in Africa is likely to fall in the near future with work on laying a fiber-optic cable connecting eastern and southern Africa to Europe and Asia set to be completed by Seacom on Thursday.

The price of access to high-speed telecommunications in Africa is among the highest in the world, a fact which has kept many Africans off the Internet, according to Christoph Stork of Research ICT Africa, which consults on information and communication technology in 19 countries on the continent.

"While people in America were upset about bandwidth limits of 250 gigabytes a month, for mobile broadband access in South Africa we would have to pay about 100 euros ($142) per gigabyte," he said.

0,,4507444_1,00.jpg

Seacom Project

^^^

Ssssh, not so loud! Lest the pirates think this is a very long underwater ship. I think they call those submarines, and the ransome for one of those is alot of mullah... :D

But I guess it good news, right. :rolleyes: Now inform your fellow Somalis to stop the violence, so as to take advantage of this fancy internet thingy! :cool:

Dabshid; Imagine you were tasked to come up witha nationwide campaign to sell this internet wire to Somalis in Somalia. How would you go about it. Please humor me! Thx.

this is the future.

there is a new technology being rolled out across north america based on fiber called GPON which would be wonderfull for back home.

the distribution and access devices are completely passive i.e they have no active processing or signalling capabilities.

it gets rid of this mad cycle of upgrading a 10000+ node network every 2 years to keep up with the current fad ... imagine installing equipment and no need for upgrading for at least a decade and no risk of theft because of the distribution and access devices do not cost much.

and is able to deliver voice video and internet multiplexed over the same pair of wires at a fraction of a cost of current fiber transport networks.

Som@li   

^this means alot for the Somalis, and Somalia The Somali telecom will benefit, and if things settle down, as you see the cable passes our coast, we will have terminations to our major cities.

Mr. Somalia , stop being cynical, Somalia won’t be in this turmoil forever, I am already putting ideas of the next ISP in the country, with every city, tuulo, guri, cariish, Santaqad, getting a cheap competitive broadband.

As for the pirates, I will make their business, lives easier, they will be hooked. :D