Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Does sharing DNA guarantee loyalty love?

I had this surprising, heated arguement with my auntie a couple of days ago. She is an interesting person & I often ask her hypothetical questions; this time it was "If one of your children or close family member commited a henious crime---ex. murder, rape, and/or terrorism, would you turn them in to the police or hide them?" I was shocked by her answer...she said, without hesitation, "Thats my child, my flesh and blood. How can I turn my child over to have his life ruined?" I couldn't believe it...I said if she did anything like that...she would find no safe haven with me. Not only would I turn her in...but NEVER talk to her again or even think about defending her. Hadee waxaas ii suubiso...ani mixii ii tari? Needless to say...she told me that I was an evil child who cared nothing for family bonds and had no loyalty. She wan't the only one...I talked with many others who had the same feeling about the situation. Some claimed that they would not turn them in...but neither would they hide them. Just keep silent and let them deal with it their own way. That just had me spinning. How can a person in their right mind think about defending a monster? To justify it?

Honestly...if genetics was so important...I'd marry my brother. But its not, not in my book. Sharing a couple of strands of DNA does not automatically make a person love another. Unconditional love is sick, twisted and unreal. I think thats the big problem in the world. When blood is given a priority over morals and justice.

What do you think?

Depends where you’re at, if your in Somalia, I don’t think that matters, but if you’re in the west eventually someone will figure it out, and the one who is hiding will get punished as well --- only on certain occasions that is. But we’re talking about Somalis who have committed murder, rape and other indecent acts in Somalia, I think many people will hide them, but what is the point, who will prosecute them?

As for me, if one of my family members committed murder, rape and etc. I would rather not know about an they keep it to themselves – I’m good as long as they’re not recommitting the crime and they’ve acknowledged what they did was wrong, but if they’re parading about it, I’d say talk to them and make sure they know what they did was not right and they should ask for forgiveness and not be proud about it.

NGONGE   

Will you really give up your loved ones for the sake of morals and justice?

What justice? What morals? Where?

The West is the land of infidels and we owe them nothing. We really don’t need to adhere to their laws. That we do is only testament to what nice and law-abiding people we are. But we don’t have to do it, doubly so when it’s one of our relatives being threatened.

The Islamic world does not apply Islamic laws and therefore they’re the last people to talk about justice and morals. So you see, your aunt was right all along, FF. You’re under no obligation to blow the whistle here. There is no justice in the world.

Now phone and apologise to her.

Femme,

Why do you think Somalis who commit vicious crimes are always speedily sent back home? Family-ties and justice apparently don't have anything to do with each other.

Even a man who rapes his own relative (same DNA/same family) will get the same protection. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Sky   

What do you think?

I think you are wrong.

FF

Your topic is truthfully a dilemma of the first order.

But my opinion is, this is the West. So last thing you should do is hand over your flesh and blood to the police. Deal with her your own way by cutting off ties or force her to redeem herself by doing good deeds.

FF

Please take your words back to your aunt. Even if you don't agree.

Animal Farm
:

As for me, if one of my family members committed murder, rape and etc. I would rather not know about an they keep it to themselves – I’m good as long as they’re not recommitting the crime and they’ve acknowledged what they did was wrong, but if they’re parading about it, I’d say talk to them and make sure they know what they did was not right and they should ask for forgiveness and not be proud about it.

Are you kidding me?! :eek: :eek:

Baashi   

Does sharing DNA guarantee loyalty & love?

Yes, in some cases.

FF, could it be that you know too well that helping out a criminal is a crime in the sense that you are accessory to the crime and hence your reason to stay clear from your loved ones once they are in that kind of trouble?

My take on this is if the justice system is reasonably sound then one is obliged to help one's relative to own up his actions and be responsible and face justice.

Castro   

For my DNA to be passed forward, my girls must be guaranteed protection at all times and from all threats.

Other people commit crimes, my girls make insignificant mistakes.

Hope that clears it up for you FF. We'll wait and see when your own DNA is on the line. Give them up kulahaa! Not over my dead body.

Now, giving up two-bit cousins and uncles is a no brainer. At the slightest hint of a crime, I'm calling CrimeStoppers and collecting that reward.

The point is, it has be first class DNA relation. Anything else is fair game.

Miriam1   

If the Crime was henious motivated out of simple evil, the case of "I did it because I could"

Perhaps would be the most difficult decision in the world

But I would turn them in.

x_quizit   

I'm surprised at some of the responses....u won't give 'em up just because they are family? I'm not talking of petty theft, but murder, rape, etc....if that was one of my family members and i didn't do anything about it, let them roam free so that they may do the crime again, it would be my fault if someone else had to suffer cause of my silence...and im half responsible if i knowingly turn the other cheek....what if the crime they committed was against ur family? wouldn't u want the murderer to be caught and brought to justice? Yes? I see, so as long as ur family member doesn't hurt ur other relatives its ok 'cause its happening to someone else, but as soon as it hits home, rules change? or don't they? What if a so called beneath u "gaal" murdered ur family in the west? Ud seek justice wouldn't ya? but what if their family had the same backward thinking of, oh no, we won't give up one of ours, how would u feel?

What is irritating is the mentality that as long as the crime was done to someone from the West, hence the ever evil "gaal", then its ok, but what u guys are forgetting is that, on Judgement day, ur criminal family member won't hide behind ur macawis/diraac, but be judged by Allah, solely on the merits of his sins, and no consideration would be given just because they belong to the illustrious family of so and so.

Food for thought.

Animal Farm,

I don't really care whether its the east, west, south or north. Makes no difference in my eyes. If you commit a crime...you damn well be prepared to pay the price. I am not going to hang around psychos...family or not. And I would not trust them as far as I could throw them. There was this cousin I was introduced to over msn. We talked...I thought him funny...entertaining...and overall a good person to chat with. Then a couple of months ago...I found out that he had shot and crippled his younger sister for going with a man of a different tribe. And his family did nothing! Nothing at all! He ruined his sister's life and he's free to go around continuing on with his? Is that fair? Is that right? That is disgusting. I quickly deleted and blocked him and there is no way in hell I would ever speak to him again. That was the least I could in that situatoin.

P.S. If I was the father...I would break both his feet. How dare he?

P.P.S. Closing your eyes and ears to the truth will benefit no one. How can you stomach that? Do you think qofkaas oo kale inuu asxaan adi kuufalayo?

Ngonge,

Indeed I am under moral obligation , Mr. Ngonge. You see...we are all citizens of the earth and creatures of Allah...we owe it to one another to protect each other to our outmost ability. Don't you agree?

Sky,

My aunt is like a second mother to me. We have had many, many arguments...and she generally respects my opinion. She wasn't angry...just disappointed. I can handle that.

Zephrine,

I know. Some people really are confused and have a whacky sense of loyalty. You havent answered my question. What would YOU do? (I keep thinking....would I put my own mother/father/sibling/child behind bars? Am I capable of that? Or is it all talk at the end?)

Baashi,

I dont think of that. I think of the people they have hurt and where my responsiblity lies. I think about what they might do next. I think about what they might do to me? I am not too naive to think that I am save from their evil. How can I be sure I won't be next? Must I always live in fear becaue of someone else's actions?

Fidel,

Why are people so selfish? Its good to care about your girls. But how about the children of others? Are they not important also? Should they not be given some sense of justice?

LOL@Fair game. A lot of people would agree with you.

Jawa,

If everything in life was easy...we'd all be doing it. The hard stuff in life is a test.

X,

Excellent points. Can't believe your agreeing with me. Must be the weather. :cool:

Castro   

Originally posted by Femme Fatale:

Why are people so selfish? Its good to care about your girls. But how about the children of others?

Let the others worry about them, FF. That's not true, I do care. I think it's a tough spot to be in and I pray my kids won't ever be involved in a crime, whether perpetrators or victims. Aameen.

But I ain't kidding about the two-bit cousins. Some of them I'd like to commit a crime against.

Baluug   

You guys give bad advice.The prophet Muhammad SCW said,"If my own daughter was caught stealing,I would have her hand cut off."I can understand you all think it doesn't apply in gaalo countries,but I don't think it makes a difference because sharia law is not just meant to deter people from committing crimes,but is also a way to seek forgiveness from Allah,because if get punished in this life,then you won't be punished(insha Allah) for the same crime in the akhirah.And as Muslims,we are supposed to uphold a very high standard of living,much better than the kufaars.Even most kufaars won't protect their own family if one of them committed a crime,so you want to be worse than them?Acuudubillah.

Changed   

Now lets say in the heat of the argument your mother threw a rock at a lady; it happen to hit her on the head and she happened to have died.. would you turn your mother in?????????

I would never turn my family in; I wouldnt hide them in my house either...but let us just say i knew they were and police knocked on my door asked me if i knew where they were at.. i'd be like i dont know and frankly i dont care; its their job to find the criminal not mine. However i would not donate to the cause of sending them away of hidding them and i would definately cut all relations with that person.

how can i be loyal to a system and betray my own flesh and blood; BE LOYAL TO the same system that has thousands of blacks in jail of crimes they barely committed. the same system that prisons filled with minorities rather the majority...girl pleaseeeeeeeee

it also depends on the crime if its heinous i would turn my own child inn...it all depends if you know the person if capable of commiting such a crime.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Animal Farm:

but if you’re in the west eventually someone will figure it out, and the one who is hiding will get punished as well

In the US, the one who is hiding a relative who commited a crime, or helps him/her get away, cannot be prosecuted or punished. I would think Canada has a similar law.