Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

'ICE' In Case of Emergency

Paragon   

A sister fowarded me this message, and so I thought it'll be valuable enough to share it with you all.

-----------

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) Campaign

The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name "ICE" ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as "ICE."

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many "forwards" before everybody will know about this It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest .

ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

Urban   

That's a good idea, but I always use "AAA Family" before family names anyway (appears first in the address book". I forgot my phone in the library once, and someone called my cousin to tell him that he found my phone. Good thing it was a muslim brother..

Nephissa   

Never heard of the ICE thing, but I have my home phone number: "HOME", and my parents: "MOM" saved into my cell phone for similar reasons.

Great advice though, thanks.

Paragon   

Urban iyo Nephthys, I think what makes the ICE more relevant is that there are campaigns to make as recognizable as the '999' or '112' numbers.

One of the things I worry about is something happening to me whilst I walk in the dead of night. How would they find out who I am? Or how would my loved ones know I have 'switched-off'? Thoughts like that. Now I can use the ICE to direct the stranger who finds me to my close relations.

Cara.   

I don't think you need to save the contact's name as "Ice". Verizon, at least, has a spot where you can select your In Case of Emergency Contact. Then that person's name appears in red text on your list of contacts.

On the other hand, haven't you trained people not to forward chain letters to you Xubeer? Paramedics don't usually root through handbags looking for cellphones.