Sign in to follow this  
Taliban

Are Somalis Homogeneous?

Taliban   

It's claimed Somalis are homogeneous; of one ethnic group who share the same culture and language. How valid is that claim? And how important is being homogeneous?

Discuss.

for me simply its yes.

so long as you have a drop of Somali blood then you are somali by default.

It depends on what you understand the term homogeneous.

1.Good example is check the color variation within your family.

there is varying shades of skin color tone (light,marine,dark) as well as hair texture from stright,curly to kinky.

Importance of homogenuity?

Chimera   

actually many relatives of ours like the Afars,the Oromo's,the harari's that lived in present day Somali territories around East Africa were Somalified during Adal's peak and during the 300 years of the A'juuraan Empire's hegemony on half of East Africa. Today there doing everything they can to keep us from somalifying the rest of East Africa, Somali aboo was a start but think about it if we all just threw away this disgusting qabiil and somalified everything around us we could build a Super Muslim Empire State

Japan a homogeneous society succesfully abolished their qabiil system that tore them apart in the Shogun era, it's time we did the same

Taliban   

Originally posted by David_Letterman:

Today there doing everything they can to keep us from somalifying the rest of East Africa, Somali aboo was a start but think about it if we all just threw away this disgusting qabiil and somalified everything around us we could build a Super Muslim Empire State

Correct me if I am wrong; aren't Oromos those we know them in Somali as Somali Abo?

Chimera   

Originally posted by Taliban:

quote:Originally posted by David_Letterman:

Today there doing everything they can to keep us from somalifying the rest of East Africa, Somali aboo was a start but think about it if we all just threw away this disgusting qabiil and somalified everything around us we could build a Super Muslim Empire State

Correct me if I am wrong; aren't Oromos those we know them in Somali as Somali Abo?
you are correct, many of their rebel leaders also started calling themselves this and they even had a political/rebel party by that name wich received Support from the Somali government

the borana's and others living in Kenya during a referendum also rather joined Somalia than Kenya or Ethiopia

we could be a Superpower

Taliban   

Originally posted by David_Letterman:

the borana's and others living in Kenya during a referendum also rather joined Somalia than Kenya or Ethiopia

Speaking of the Borana in Kenya, I have seen (years ago) some documentary about them, and they didn't appear to me as Muslims (rather animists). As a result of an influx of Somalis to Kenya during the past few decades, have they embraced Islam?

Taliban   

Originally posted by Caamir:

Majority called Aji is homogenious but not all of them

Are you saying the Aji have distinct physical features? Culturally speaking, what about those who are nomads, pastoralists, agropastoralists, coastals, highlanders, iwm?

NASSIR   

Aji stands for all the major nomad clans in the North, South and west of Somalia. Bay and Baidabo clans are Aji themselves. However, what I am saying is that Swahili speaking coastal people in Somalia are different than Aji.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Caamir:

Aji stands for all the major nomad clans in the North, South and west of Somalia. Bay and Baidabo clans are Aji themselves. However, what I am saying is that Swahili speaking coastal people in Somalia are different than Aji.

Interesting; I thought reer Bay and Baydhabo were non-Aji, because their features somewhat differ. You talked about the coastal people, what about the Gosha?

Fabregas   

Somalis are preety much homogenous with the exception of some who claim to be: Shia, Arabs,Bastars(no offense), and Persians.

What is the origin of Soomaal?

Some say it means "Soo" "Maal" as in go milk.

While others say it refers to the ancestor of the Soomaali eg.Samaale.

Richard Burton says it means thrust out(his brothers eye) in Arabic?

Any thoughts on this?

Rose   

quote:Originally posted by Caamir:

Interesting; I thought reer Bay and Baydhabo were non-Aji, because their features somewhat differ. You talked about the coastal people, what about the Gosha?
How do their features differ?

And what is Aji exactly?

Taliban   

Originally posted by Rose:

The riverine people have some different physical features; you could tell them apart from geeljires. Their culture, behavior, traits, iwm also differ. You have to observe and intermingle with them in order to notice how they differ. There are some pictures to illustrate how (physical features) they differ.

Rose   

quote:Originally posted by Rose:

The riverine people have some different physical features; you could tell them apart from geeljires. Their culture, behavior, traits, iwm also differ. You have to observe and intermingle with them in order to notice how they differ. There are some pictures to illustrate how (physical features) they differ.
One could easily say that about the wooqoyi populace with respect to the xamar region. Both have different dialect, culture, behaviour..traits etc

I don't know, maybe you're trying to say the riverine people physically (features) look different...if you do, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Modesty   

No...the majority of Somalis are homogenous, but there are many minority groups that lived in somalia..examples include the Barawa, they spoke different language, also the Somali Bantu...they all are outside the clan system.Often times, people outside the clan system were discriminated against I heard.