Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

Traditional Vs Host nation's influences....

I'm starting to see more and more young couples donning hido iyo dhaqaan as their chosen wedding attire.

It's got me thinking.....

These are young brides and grooms too.People who were raised here for the most portion of their life.Are people trying to get in touch with their traditional side the more the older they get in qurbaha and longer away from the homeland?

I say this because I remember a time straight after the war when alot of the Somali weddings were hugely influenced by European culture if not all.White gown,ring exchanging and swigging lemonade albeit arms locked Loool.The whole sha-bang.

I must say it makes me smile everytime I see a beautiful new couple dressed in macawiis iyo koofiya and guntiino albeit with amber and braided hair and calanka in the background.I'm proud that they are proud.

I hope to have a traditional wedding but it would be foolish for me not to say there will be no non-Somali influences.I live in London,UK,EUROPE! but I wont let that stop me.I was raised here for Goodness knows how long so it's only normal that some influences borrowed from this nation that has hosted me make an appearance and I wont knock it!

Anyway what's your take on it ladies?For the singletons how do you see yourself going about your future wedding plans?(Insha'Allah)

and for those of you that have already tied the knot care to share your experiences?

and yes before you ask this my excuse for a good ol' natter on weddings and all things that sparkle :D

[ December 30, 2005, 19:32: Message edited by: Rahima ]

Janna   

Australian weddings are never traditional. There might seem traditional at first but the bride can't help but to slip onto the white gown.

The ring exchanging and lemonade sipping only takes place in mixed weddings. The only time you might witness a traditional Somali wedding taking place is if you attend a "Girls Only Wedding". Which happens quite often.

Coming back to your question; Would I have a traditional wedding? Yes I would. Though I wouldn't allow the groom to wear a macawiis during the wedding. I wouldn't follow the Indiana tradition like many Somali girls do. And I certainly will not be having any reggae music.

FatB   

lex i have never seen or heard a somali couple having a "white" wedding. i have seen Canadians and Americans follow the herd of stampeding sheep and get married with a 5 star Anglo sax-song wedding but hear in Australia must of the weddings have distinct traces of traditionalism about it...........having said that i am nor have i been to ever wedding preformed in Australia but generally most Victorian weddings are some wat modest

Nephissa   

Alla! Isn't that UK from Weston+Lawrence?

how do you see yourself going about your future wedding plans?(Insha'Allah)

If the day comes my future ex husband and I will ran away, much easier that way. I have never really dreamed of a big wedding. I have older siblings, and I saw what all of them went through. Nothing but pain in the patookus.

PS: Do you have their consent to place this image here?

Mowgli   

Nope, I never dreamed of a big wedding, nor do I want a big wedding, most weddings are laughable to say the least, someone invites you to their wedding to share in one of their special moments in life, and you come, eat their food and insult them whilst you are at it?

I think not, I see my money better spent on a honeymoon, house, etc etc, unfortunately, my mother has other ideas *it sucks being an only child*

Blessed   

I've had a traditional wedding. Not strictly though, my dress was a remake of the sadex qayd ( I looked silly in the original). I'm now thinking of re-making the guntiino. Somali meets EastLOndon.. kawaran. But thats a different topic.

Where was I? Haa, haa. Arooskii, We had hadhuudh and caano instead of cake.. No slow dance... had my girls 'galbis' me like in the old days and Somali utensils as decore.

I was never into the white dress scene which is shidh*loaded with paganism iyo waxaan la garanayan. My cousin had the same a month later. Think, I've started that fad in London :D

I've got say though, having the calan at your wedding is simply bilaa dhadhan. Ma aroos baa mise dowlad baa la heshiisiinayaa.

A.hoot. Gabagabada hadalku waa; Hiduhu waa off the xadhig dee...lols

Bishaaro I just saw it on a Somali site and never really thought about that redface.gif The time has elapsed for editing so I'll ask the mods to snip it out.My bad I'm sucha ditz sometimes but the picture blew me away.

Lexus-Loool @ indian I've noticed that too.They are all like "No I'm not having a white gown blabla" and your left thinking they'll wear Somali attire and then they arrive with bindis on their foreheads and that forsaken golden jewellry hanging off their hairline and such :mad: I mean whyyy?!

Idil sis I didnt mean big wedding.Now that you mention costs and excess I realised having a simple traditional wedding is usually a fraction of the cost of a white gown and black tie affair ma'aha?Anyway I have always thought about the importance of having a house to go back to after the wedding Loooool.That whole scenario where the couple spend lacag they dont have on a massive aroos and then go back to living with hebel iyo hebelayos parents is crazy!Smart choices sis.

Blessed-Loool your post made me laugh.I thought I was the only one who noticed most of the bull like ring exchaning and stuff has a non-Islamic symbolism behind it?Anywhoo I'm glad you had a nice aroos and mabruuk to you and yours Masha'Allah(even tho its late redface.gif )

Castro   

Blessed, Ilaahay caqliga kuudaa atheer. Meeshan mar mar waxay dadku soo qoraan, cadanyaan ka qaada. :D

As for traditional weddings, my parents' wedding nearly 4 decades ago in Somalia had a white dress and a black tuxedo. Not to mention a white cake and ring exchanges. That must have been the tradition then. Mine, in the west, was a mix and match. It all depends on taste, family influences and finances, of course. My one pet peeve, however, is spending $50,000 in one night and $30,000 on furniture (all borrowed of course) to put in a one bedroom (basement) apartment. This would be followed by either a divorce a year later or having 'tolka' collect money for you coz you can't feed your kids. Now that's asinine.

Blessed   

^Ameen. May I (we all) be more blessed smile.gif

and you, cadanyo cured :D

XaliimoCambaro, that was many moons ago but Thanks.

Idil,

You can have all three, if you plan well, avoid the competition the goes on between Somalis and keep in mind the purpose of a wedding.

AS atheero says, jeebkabadis is certainly asinine. Alla ilahe, indeed.

Castro   

^ Ameen atheer. This is off topic but when I read the word cadanyo, I couldn't help but sing (my favorite) Sahra Axmad song with the word cadanyo replacing laqanyo. :D

Can anyone translate this into English? There are far too many heavy Somali words for me in here. This would be a delightful wedding song, no?

cadanyada jacaylkiyo

lurka caashaq kululaa

ruuxdaadu lahatayoo

kugu laadey ba'anaa

waxan hadalba ii labin

sida la iigu kaa ladhey

hadii aad lix goor noqo

itidhaa laba iyo toban

naftan libiqsaneysee

laabaneysa leedhe

ladanow miyaan

la'aantaa aniguu

ladayaa hurdada

Blessed   

..nice? Ilayn ninuunbaad ahayd :D

Her part is a disgrace adeer. Laqanyo, cadanyo iyo cadho ayey igu ridaa. Esp. considering the Farax is given the privilage of saying 'soo leef hawada'.

A.hoot. Do you want a word for word translation. Or just a general meanning of the song?

Castro   

Cadho kulaha. That's cute.

I was hoping for a few of the tough words. They usually come at the end of each sentence. I have them in bold below. Do you know the history of this song? Anyone whom Sahra Axmad sang a song for and turned her down should be beheaded.

Ducaqabe, I'd kill Brad for Angelina. It is certainly justifiable homicide. :D

Here's the whole song, Blessed. Appreciate the effort by the way. :D This song (nearly) brings tears to my eyes.

laqanyada jacaylkiyo

lurka caashaq kululaa

ruuxdaadu lahatayoo

kugu laadey ba'anaa

waxan hadalba ii labin

sida la iigu kaa ladhey

hadii aad lix goor noqo

itidhaa laba iyo toban

naftan libiqsaneysee

laabaneysa leedhe

ladanow miyaan

la'aantaa aniguu