Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Once in a lifetime opportunity...

Mars is going to be a second moon of earth for a day.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN.

mars.jpg

The Red Planet (MARS) is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter’s gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. By August 27, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot.

At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That’s pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively

brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your family, friends, children and grandchildren .

Source

Haddad   

Originally posted by shyhem:

Are you a nerd by any chance????????

Do you think being a nerd is funny or easy? Nerds are part of every society. Dictionary has two definitions for nerd:

1. A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

For definition #1, nerds might appear foolish, but are smarter than the average person; they know more. Some nerds might be inept, but that's due to the fact they engage in less social activities. And some nerds might be unattractive, but who needs to be attractive if social activities aren't a big part of your life?

Definition #2 is what defines most nerds today, although they engage in moderate social activities.

Many scientists and researchers are somewhat nerds. If you see them attractive (better grooming & dress), it's because the institutions they work for enforce dress and grooming codes. Nerds are vital and critical members of modern society; without them, not much scientific & technological advances could have been achieved.

P.S. There's a Nerd Liberation Movement; I would be careful to make funny remarks in front of nerds.

nerdbut.gif

Fyr   

These past days I've been taking few minutes off to look at our nightly sky which I don’t frequently do because of the weather. But the view has been overwhelming these past nights added with full moon and endless stars to look at. Just last night I noticed a bright object in the night sky and at first I thought it was venus after gazing further I noticed it was too bright to be venus. When I continued to search the skies for other bright objects I found venus which continued to baffle me until next day. It wasn’t until I read your post that I knew what that bright object was, so thanks 7 0f Nine for the info.

Miriam1   

August 27 is the day!

However,I try to spot it before then this monday inshallah

On another note...Wasnt the moon absoultly beautiful tonight. So Bright! Specially beautiful in toronto after that crazy rain, for the skies to clear and the Moon to make its appearance...Loved it ~!!!~