Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

The Day That Changed The World - 11/9

Yes, today is the big day

The day that changed to world to the end

They day where the Western ideology started to shiver

The day that the marked that the US was ashamed, humilated and slapped in their face.

The day where the US policy has changed

The day that we saw the true face of the democracy

The day we learned about Osama Bin Laden

The day ...................

Today is where the world took another path ...

what do you think ?

NEW YORK - Once again, the city will pause for four moments of silence to mark the attacks that killed more than 2,700 people. Family members will lay flowers where the twin towers fell, and the names of victims will be read.

But much will be different on the sixth anniversary of Sept. 11, after tense arguments about where to hold the ceremony, whether a presidential candidate should be allowed to speak and whether it's still fitting to put on such a large-scale commemoration.

Firefighters, first responders and construction workers who helped rescue New Yorkers — and many who later recovered victims' bodies — were chosen this year to read the names of the dead in a small public park instead of the World Trade Center site.

After bitterly objecting that they wanted to pay their respects closest to where their loved ones died, family members will be allowed to descend to the site below street level and lay flowers near where the towers stood.

"It's still like visiting a grave on the person's anniversary of their death," said Rosaleen Tallon, whose firefighter brother, Sean Tallon, died that day.

While the list of 2,750 victims killed in New York is read, Osama bin Laden planned to appear in a new video and read the will of one of the hijackers whose plane flew into the north tower.

Politics has played little role in past ceremonies, when siblings, spouses and children offered heartfelt messages to their lost loved ones.

But the city's firefighters could raise several issues. They are among thousands who say they suffer persistent respiratory problems after inhaling dust from the trade center's collapse. Two firefighters died just last month in a blaze at a skyscraper that had not been torn down since it was damaged on Sept. 11.

And firefighters and several victims' family members are furious that Rudy Giuliani, the city's former mayor, who has spoken every year at the ceremony, is doing so on Tuesday as a Republican presidential candidate.

Giuliani, who has made his performance in the months after the 2001 terrorist attacks the cornerstone of his campaign, said last week that his appearance was not intended to be political.

"I was there when it happened, and I've been there every year since then. If I didn't, it would be extremely unusual. As a personal matter, I wouldn't be able to live with myself," Giuliani said Friday at a campaign stop in Florida. "I will do that for as long as they have a ceremony out there."

A fire union spokesman said no organized demonstration by firefighters was planned.

Another change in this year's ceremony will be the list of victims. That is because the official death toll was increased by one this year after the city ruled a woman's death of lung disease was caused by exposure to toxic trade center dust. The name of that woman, Felicia Dunn-Jones, will be read at the ceremony for the first time.

The anniversary was moved this year because of more intensive construction under way at ground zero, where several cranes overlook a partially built Sept. 11 memorial, transit hub and skyscraper.

Several family members worried that Zuccotti Park, just southeast of ground zero, would be too small to accommodate the thousands of people. City officials said there was actually more space available than at the previous location.

But others have questioned whether the commemoration had become excessive; some New Jersey communities that lost many people in the attacks said their ceremonies were being scaled back.

The city has estimated that fewer people have come to the ceremony each year. One local television station, WABC-TV, initially decided not to air the four-hour-plus ceremony live, opting instead to broadcast regular morning programming, which includes "Live with Regis and Kelly." The station changed its mind once the public complained.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday that the ceremony may continue to change over time.

"I think one of the challenges that we as a society have is how do you keep the memory alive and the lesson of something like 9/11 alive going forward for decades," he said. "I've always thought we should try to change the ceremony each year ... you're going to have to change to keep it relevant."

In Washington, President Bush will help mark the anniversary with a moment of silence Tuesday morning on the South Lawn of the White House. At the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Robert Gates will host a memorial observance for relatives of those who perished in the Sept. 11 attack there.

A ceremony is also scheduled in western Pennsylvania at the site of the crash of hijacked Flight 93. Gov. Ed Rendell will speak.

Khalaf   

I remember that day very clear, yeah 9/11 changed a lot ppl and "the world" basically....me i was 9th grade we were taking the GQE exams, 9am i think teacher stoped the class and said we been attacked, 30,000 dead early estimates......some of us laughed lol cause it seemed unreal, and happy no more exams lol, rest of the day we watched news, no hw nothin...... Looking back yo i was dumb kid, didn't know nothin about the world...a lot has changed since alxamdu....there was a muhajaba sister that went to my school, never noticed her or cared...i wish i was more islamically aware back then waayo i wouldve stood up with her as her brother damn i regret that.

peace out

CAIRO, Egypt - Osama bin Laden will appear for the second time in a week in a new video to mark the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, presenting the last will and testament of one of the suicide hijackers, al-Qaida announced Monday.

Each year, al-Qaida has released videos of last statements by hijackers on the anniversary of the 2001 attacks, using the occasion to rally its sympathizers.

But this year's releases underline how bin Laden is re-emerging to tout his leadership — whether symbolic or effective — of the jihad movement. While past anniversary videos featured old footage of bin Laden, the latest appears likely to include a newly made speech.

MORE

N.O.R.F   

Was doing my placement year in London. Was at work and heard on the radio during lunch break. Got home and filled up at the local petrol station only for a woman to shout 'why dont you go back to where you came from? Killing people...? Nobody knew who did it yet,,,, :rolleyes:

Was going to my English Class in Hargeisa ,, as soon as i arrived the class the teacher started to talk about what happened.

He explained the incident, gave us new vocabolary for the situation in 10 minutes and let us go for the news.

I didn't sleep that night watching the news, going from one channel to another.

Fabregas   

I wonder if the Bin Laden family lost any assets on that day. Since they and other promiment Saudis are very close to the Bush Family and invest a great deal in the American economy?

To kill 3000 unarmed civilians is gross, to kill like this without warning is more gross, if muslims did this its wasn't the way early muslims fight, truely they used to take fights to their enemy, but they used to fight face face.

Whoever did it, muslims payed the price, for how many death in iraq,Palestine Afghanistan,lebanon,pakistan,Somalia, and how many rapes and destructions, aboveall how many people are disappeared in america, europe,and arab countries - those pro-american regimes, and how many torture centres accross the world. muslims are cowed, harrassed and beaten up, but SubxaanAllah, when you see from another corner, militarily only few muslims have the tommy to fight and making great impact, in iraq, they looted 4 thousand years of artefact, 150k of marines are on the loose, killing savagely, they got the backup of all shi'ites, the allies of the willing as they called it,but then again they losing the war, only few sunni mujahidiins are making all this loss to Usa, trillions of dollars, and 4 thousand marines are few meters under the ground(dead). now Bush is on the run,like injured tigger(read how they humiliated his 4 star general in the congress, see how this kenyan congressman put him in hotwater yesterday).

in Afhanistan, only few cueless talibans keeping the enemy at bay, and who is the enmemy btw- Nato, 20 united armies of the west and world's wealthiest, militarily most advanced nations.

Geeljire,

Iread somewhere, his brother's family was in usa at that time, and bush ordered to take them savely to thier country by special plane. his borther apart from his business with Bush, he fianances/sponsors the Harvard uni's engineering depart. paying them millions of dollars yearly as benefactor from his trust.

Sharmarkee, You seem to be a bit worried about all those powers of the west and its alliences.

Each time has its own style of fighting and if we want to fight like our early muslims it doesnt mean we take swords and leave all these weapons.

Whateva it costs it is the gaalo's mistake to do this not ours at all. Al-Qaedah have got it right to take any action against the US and their babies like Israel, any agression from the US to kill thousands of muslims is US's wrong and not ours.

Nato, 20 united armies of the west and world's wealthiest, militarily most advanced nations cannot secure even the capital, Kabul let alone other regions of the country. That how weak they are besides their wealth and military advance.

Look at Iraq and how they failed to take any step towards their objectives.

Look at elsewhere in the world.

The main problem is only us, the muslims that are sleeping to death, divided like a hell, and like to sleep in the arms of the west. Yeah Islam will win at last but on the expense of our lives, money and blood.

Originally posted by SheekhaJacaylka:

The main problem is only us, the muslims that are sleeping to death, divided like a hell, and like to sleep in the arms of the west. Yeah Islam will win at last but on the expense of our lives, money and blood.

Brilliantly put!Sheekhayga caashaqa :D

Ariadne   

I think the day the world changed and everyone knew that the Americans would need "new" enemies was not 9/11 2001, but

11/9/1989.

On November Ninth the Berlin wall was demolished between

East Germany and West Germany. And although Communisim as we know it did not end then It toppled very shortly afterwards.

Ending the Cold War. Thus the American Imperialists needed a new enemy. Thye had supported the Mujahadiin of Afghanistan in their war of Russia. Madrassas in Pakistan and Afghanistan where they taught the Arabic alphabit in a militant way like jeem is for jihad, were funded by American dollars knowing full well what was

happening.

Even in the mid 90's bad guys in action movies went from being East European to being Arabs. Something was already happening as a shift in focus way before Sept 11th.

Thye had supported the Mujahadiin of Afghanistan in their war of Russia. Madrassas in Pakistan and Afghanistan where they taught the Arabic alphabit in a militant way like jeem is for jihad, were funded by American dollars knowing full well what was

happening.

don't believe everything they claim ..... it is normal that when they fail they soon pretend to be behind this and that and put it in a way that people will think they are so genious.

In afghanistan they only supported those are now with them like Karzai and his crew. They never supported the Arab-Mujahidis in Afghan like Osama and Sh. Azzam. In the contrary they have been trying to stop them from the beginning which they terribally failed.

Dhubad.   

I still believe CIA was behind it. There is no way on earth that two plains can nock down 7 buildings of that magnitude...! I believe the buildings were wired up and the airplanes were controlled remotely from the ground.