Sign in to follow this  
Faarax-Brawn

Railway in Somalia

yeah, i seen that when i was there back in late 80s. i use ride it to. that train was full of burned sugar cane. dang, its the sweetest shyte i ever tasted.

BOB   

I will own the railway system in Somalia in the future Insha Allah so guys this idea is MINE don't steal it.

hiyo ni uwongo...hatuna Railway in Somalia jo wana kudangaya ;)

Peace, Love & Unity.

Originally posted by *BOB:

I will own the railway system in Somalia in the future Insha Allah so guys this idea is MINE don't steal it.

hiyo ni uwongo...hatuna Railway in Somalia jo wana kudangaya
;)

Peace, Love & Unity.

I am sure there is a reason why Somalia has no railway system.

Most railway systems in africa today was set up by the settlers who wanted to move agricultural and minerals product to the coast. This is just a wild guess..but,i am curious as hell if someone can shed more light

money   

Mogadishu-Villabruzz i Railway

The Mogadiscio-Villabruz zi Railway was the railway of Italian Somalia, and connected the capital of Somalia with the Shebelle river agricultural areas from 1914 to 1941.

History

It was built initially for the surrounding area of Mogadishu (Mogadiscio in Italian) after World War I. In the 1920s the Italian nobleman Luigi Amedeo, Duke of the Abruzzi had the railwayextended to the Shebelle river colonial villages he was then developing.

The line, 114 km long, reached Villabruzzi (then in full "Villaggio Duca degli Abruzzi", now "Jowhar") in 1928. The original proposal was for the railway to go on from Villabruzzi to the Somali border with Ethiopia and into the ******, but the war with the Negus Selassie in 1936 stopped it.

In green the Railway Mogadiscio-Villabruz zi (1914-1941)

In 1939 the Italian leader Benito Mussolini planned road and rail connections between Mogadiscio and Addis Abeba, but only the road ("La Strada Imperiale") was built before World War II destroyed the Italian Empire.

In 1941 the railway was dismantled by the British troops when they conquered the "Africa Orientale Italiana". Since then the railway, except for a few tracks within Mogadishu harbour, was no more used. In 1942 some diesel locomotives and related materials were moved by the English government to Eritrea, to be used in the Railway Massawa-Asmara.

In the 1980s the Somalian president Siad Barre proposed the reactivation of the railway, but his fall in 1991 stopped the possible reconstruction.

[edit] Statistics

The railway in 1930 moved 19.359 passengers, and was used by even for tourism. In the same year 43.467 tons of products (mainly agricultural) were transported, with earnings up to 1.591.527 Lira somala. Most products transported were bananas and coffee, from farm plantations of the area of Villabruzzi, to be exported trough the port of Mogadishu.

It was administered by the Ferrovie Somale, a government company.

Read more here

http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Mogadishu-V illabruzzi_Railway