Sign in to follow this  
Sky

Black People Loot, White People Find

Sky   

Racist Hurricane Coverage?

By BET.com Staff

Updated Sept. 2 2005 -- “Black people loot, White people find†reads a headline making the Internet rounds after Hurricane Katrina.

43f2d652-66f4-932d-c642-8d8f4248b9fb-hur

Several blogs are highlighting two newspaper photos and their captions: one where a young Black man wades through water with a bag “after looting a grocery store,†and a similar photo with a White woman and man wading through water “after finding bread and soda from a local grocery store.†The photos are from The Associated Press and Agence France-Presse/Getty Images, respectively.

Chris Graythen, the photographer who shot the so-called "White people find" photo, has responded to the controversy on a message board at www.sportshooter.com. "I believed in my opinion, that they did simply find them, and not 'looted' them in the definition of the word," he writes. "There were a million items floating in the water - we were right near a grocery store that had 5+ feet of water in it. It had no doors. The water was moving, and the stuff was floating away. These people were not ducking into a store and busting down windows to get electronics. They picked up bread and cokes that were floating in the water. "

The caption on a third controversial photo -- from The Associated Press -- reads that a White person "looks through their shopping bag" in front of a broken store window.

Do you think the looting coverage is racist? Is this representative of a media slant in covering African Americans? Click “Discuss Now†to talk about it.

Janna   

It's extremely said for those black people living in America believing they would be consider the same as a white folk. I guess it's about time black people to open their eyes.

Foxy   

I guess they have a reason to Looth, since most of them do live under poor condition and are on the un employment benefits. So this was there only chance to take what U could grap within an arms lenght.

The media is just putting these poor souls under the spot light and making them like mongruls, which they definitely fit the bill. But the media should be concentrating on other issues, the likes of why isnt government help here to evucate the helpless & the needy?

Besides Loothing Bililaqo is quiet normall for ppl of african decent.....that is the first thing they go for, once the state/city goes in to a mere lawless state.

cheers

Castro   

Originally posted by ALexus.:

It's extremely said for those black people living in America believing they would be consider the same as a white folk. I guess it's about time black people to open their eyes.

Wait, don't tell me! You suggest they use Diana to solve their problems. Oh, and stay out of the sun too.

Foxy   

quote:Originally posted by ALexus.:

Wait, don't tell me! You suggest they use Diana to solve their problems. Oh, and stay out of the sun too.

Loooooooooooooooooolz :D:D:D:D

Castro U are absolutely & fanatically hilarious...

You should do an Ad for Diana

cheers

N.O.R.F   

Its a timely reminder to those musicians and athletes who thought they had finally made it up the ladder :rolleyes:

You either dead, locked up, bless the mic, sell rock or you got a wicked jump shot!

Hi

Is America is damn racist or Black people don't do a day's work to take care of themselves and their families, anybody with a car was having enough time to get out and go to a dry land next place - louisina, or whatever!anybody with a credit card can check in a motel elswhere as well it's all down to the basics -- work -- work -- work, earn your bread ... earn your respect!!

But there you have racist-America also showing that the black people cant mend their lot(sic)!

What is good to talk about freedom ... freedom ... freedom when your life is not worth 2 dollars, and sing ... sing ... sing for the white people till rain and storm gather pace or the cows coming home!Blacks should forget slave trade and all bad history, and look foward to the future, they should be in for a long haul. or they will perish.

But what it's so funny about this funny world - Somalians - farxaas and xiliimoos are giving a cheap advice, and good predictions to their black brothers and sisters when their country was in ruins more than fifteen good years....it's funny old world!!!!

Sharmarke it is about time to see some has a different view than most people here.

Somalis came here as refugees and live better lifes than most blacks. you are telling black can't afford to buy a car?this is the land of the oppurtunity if our black brother don't want take advantage of the selling drug is they only way out of so be it but don't blame our short coming on the whites.

I am not rich but i have my daily bread and still get my education and do take care of my family, do you think they can do the same way.

god helps for those who help themselves.we can blame the whites when the blacks are not making any effort at all.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by ALexus.:

LOOOL HAHAHAHAHAHA HEHEHEHE

Fidel,man,U killing me right now!!!!!I just can't stop laughing!!

STOIC   

Truth, when i was living in the ghetos of Americas, i was told not to associate with the black people by every immigrant i knew in my block.Every one had their own negative tone on everything black.This xenophobia runned deep in everywhere i looked.I was in the depth of despair when college came.My views of my people(being black here) was suddenly changed when i witnessed how a system can glorify how fast your leg can run than how academic nerd you were.

We can sit here and have a smoky conversation how black people were oppressed and subjected to every inhuman act possible but i wouldn't do that since i am not an expert in African American history.It is unfortunate that the majority of the poor people in America are black.We can not sum up all black people in one basket.Every one makes his life choices according to his liking.Black people are not predisposed to crime.They do have their rascals as well as clean law abiding citizens.

Originally posted by TRUTH_BE_TOLD:

Sharmarke it is about time to see some has a different view than most people here.

Somalis came here as refugees and live better lifes than most blacks. you are telling black can't afford to buy a car?this is the land of the oppurtunity if our black brother don't want take advantage of the selling drug is they only way out of so be it but don't blame our short coming on the whites.

I am not rich but i have my daily bread and still get my education and do take care of my family, do you think they can do the same way.

god helps for those who help themselves.we can blame the whites when the blacks are not making any effort at all.

TRUTH_TO_BE-tOLD

Saxiib,

You didnt add anything new ...we just telling same story, Kudos for you working hard and earning your bread, good enough!!! what we both emphasised blacks are in for a bad times if they didnt work their *** off, we all know america is rich country.

God Bless America

Nephissa   

People stealing diapers and food in New Orleans, is one thing that can be understood. Having bands of people breaking into personal houses and taking anything they want, is another thing all together. Those people need a bullet.