Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Scapegoating Middle Eastern women

Hales   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

Canjeex people like you do my head in walahi. I don't have the energy right now to put you in your place, but your kind of thinking is why we (Both as Somali and Muslims) are so messed up.

I asked these young Somalis to come to the charity event on the 5th June. They asked where the money is going, I said an orphanage center in Hargisa, one of them said, my own people are burning in Moqdisho, I might as well give the £50 to them, maxa Hargisa iga shan iyo toban ah.

So you think you have a valid point, but the people with that level of thinking never end up doing anything for anyone, not even their own brothers, excuses, excuses, please. I’ve worked in this area long enough to know, such people send all the their time saying, why is she raising funds for Palestine, Iraq, instead of Somalis, then it is why not people for X place or X clan.

**Rant Mode off*

P.s. By the way I do have “stand up for Gaza” as profile picture, and “close G-bay”, “Islamaphobia watch,” “Somali IDP” among other things. It is impossible to care for the suffering of Somalis, without feeling or caring for the suffering of OTHERS. I will bet my bottom dollar anyone who claims to care about Somalis and no one else really cares about NO ONE but them and their family. Sheego ciid leeh diis.

Canjeex made a good point, how often will you see a Palestinian or Arabs contributing to or prioritizing the Somali cause and situation? When our problems are far worse and we have far less help from the world by and large.

And about the Muqdishu and Hargeisa thing, whoever

uses that as an excuse for not donating at all to any region in Somalia is selfish. "But" if they have a choice of donating to Muqdishu simply because its in a worse situation and use such an reason is right and you have no right to object to it.

I believe from what i see that its actually Hargeisans that have this problem and would rather donate to their region for regional reasons and believing the issues are seperate (since they think its a seperate country) when the truth is both are a collective Somali problem and Muqdishu is in a far far far worse situation. You shouldnt even compare the two.

Canjeex is simply talking about priorities here, no ones talking about not caring about or donating to other Muslim causes.

Ibtisam   

Originally posted by rudy-Diiriye:

quote:Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

I asked these young Somalis to come to the charity event on the 5th June. They asked where the money is going, I said an orphanage center in Hargisa, one of them said, my own people are burning in Moqdisho, I might as well give the £50 to them, maxa Hargisa iga shan iyo toban ah.

[/i]

Ibi...they are smart gals. kids in hargeysa are in good hands. U should be donating this money to the kids in xamar. After all, they are our brothers and sisters in a much deeper problem!!! think about that, plz.
Shows how little you know, not that I was expecting much from you, but FYI, some of the kids happen to be IDP from Xamar fleeing the conflict.

Xamar ciid wax uuma diidin, I have in the past and always will raise funds for meelkast, but wa caqli xumu waaran. A need person who you can help is a need person, they have no race, colour or even religion for that matter. If Allah has put you in a position to be able to give hand to another human being you should do so with out all his baggage. Uuuf

Canjeex made a good point, how often will you see a Palestinian or Arabs contributing to or prioritizing the Somali cause and situation? When our problems are far worse and we have far less help from the world by and large.

AGAIN you are just assuming, Arabs do and have alwasy provided funds when asked and even without beign asked to the Somali cause, both governments and inviduals. All the money I have ever collected from somalis together has previously been matched by an Arab and Iranian man. Even more when they give, they don’t give wax silci leh and then bully you for it like somalis, they give a sizable donation. Like in the Somali community you do have ones who think only their suffering counts.

And about the Muqdishu and Hargeisa thing, whoever uses that as an excuse for not donating at all to any region in Somalia is selfish. "But" if they have a choice of donating to Muqdishu simply because its in a worse situation and use such an reason is right and you have no right to object to it.

I believe from what i see that its actually Hargeisans that have this problem and would rather donate
to their region for regional reasons and believing the issues are seperate (since they think its a seperate country) when the truth is both are a collective Somali problem and Muqdishu is in a far far far worse situation. You shouldn’t even compare the two.

Canjeex is simply talking about priorities here, no ones talking about not caring about or donating to other Muslim causes.

First of all what your cuqdad makes you believe does not become fact.THE fact is POLITICS iyo QAQBIL wa in charity laga saaro. Charity should not have any politics. I have yet to see someone say to me, I am not donating to Moqdisho because Harigsa needs it more or because I am from there :confused: are you insane? Money they sent to their own projects or families yes, and even if they have such shameful views, no one has ever said it outloud to me at least.

This is the reason this whole help your Somalis never works, if everyone ONLY donates to their home town out of xasidnimo anigu charity uuma arako. May Allah guide those with such ill feeling.

It is not a matter of people saying I want my funds sent there or here (that is fine), it is a matter of people saying I am from X and hence will not donate to Y. If you dont think there is something wrong with that, then that is your issue walalo, but dont try to make it sound as though it is normal and acceptable behaviou.

P.s.

Lastly for those who want to donate to Southern Somali OnlY, then send the money to ADT baal lets see you pay something hoorta. I will give you the details. But the truth is as I said such people dont give to Xaram either, the same charitable sort of people donate to either one when asked.

Ibtisam   

Oh and for those who say there are no needy children in Hargisa (or as needy), can I direct you to sherban Shabell video ont he other thread >>>>>

Ibtisam   

^^Walahi everytime I come across waxan I get a severe one sided headache and my eye itches. I promised myself so many times never to do a Somali charity thing again. :mad:

The last one, they kept asking why a norther was raising funds for IDP outside of Muqdisho, and was I really taking the money to Burco (this after I told them, I was only collecting the money but sending it through ADT, and that I have nothing to do with the money after)! Somali laga ma baxasado. Reminds me of that Arabic "kuritii story or the man, son and the donkey"

Hales   

Ibt.

This clanisation of charity are one the many symptons of the civil war and the division in Somali people, and you could constantly see that when you go to the politics section.

I responded to the example Canjeex gave which was prioritizin other peoples problems, which seems to be quite widespread.

And i pointed out (in the last line) that theres nothing wrong with organizing charities for other Muslim problems, such as sending money during the time when Gaza was under siege, but i was simply talking about priotizing Somalia and how politics divides Somalis.

Charity doesnt have politics in an area like Bangladesh or India, where society and economy is a problem and not conflict.

but you cant avoid taking politics into account when dealing with regions such as SOmalia which has conflict within the people. So politics by default.

^^Walahi everytime I come across waxan I get a severe one sided headache and my eye itches. I promised myself so many times never to do a Somali charity thing again.

Wallahi you sound like you lost your mind here, shaah cab like Norfsky said. Somalis are a messed up in many ways :D , i already know this which is why i havent already lost my mind.

Ibtisam   

Again you are just making stuff up, in places like India and Bangladesh aid and charity only ever reaches people of certain casts (similar to clans) and even foreign aid organisations have been blocked from reach such people. Such aid is just sustaining the status quo and keeping ignorant people in positions and power. This is no doing them any favours.

It is because Somali society is not structured and because we have conflict WHY aid or charity cannot afford to be political, emergency relief has no politics or allegiance, it is too pressing and immediate. People who give under £500 a year to charity really are just contributing to emergency relief (food, water, shelter) it is not an investment nor is it substantial enough to abuse people for it.

People go out and spend £50 at a restaurant or outing once a week at least, for food or shish, theaters, sports, and they don’t consider Xamar or starving children or anything else for that matter, but £50 a year or even subscription of £5 a month and they suddenly try every trick in the old book, not my people, they are blue, Arab, Asian, wrong type of Somali, men, chewing, wrong clan.

Canjeex did not say prioritizing, he said mind your own Somali business and he thinks lowly of such people for caring about other humans. :rolleyes:

P.s alhumdulilah I have not lost my mind, but I just might knock a few teeth out. when Norf said go and have tea, I went and made myself a cup! redface.gif lol

Ibti, breathe. Dont pay attention to sick people. A Somali kid is a Somali kid regardless of what region they hail from or stupidh clan they belong to.You're doing a wonderful job. Please dont be like me and stop.

:( We've run into this problem so much so that I stopped fundraising. I have a short temper when it comes to qabiil and going off on ignorant, qabiil sick people wasnt a good look.

My friends have more patience masha'allh. They(cuz I'm out lol!)run this organization called PUSH that sends medical supplies and medicine back home to help doctors. They rotate the location each time. Last time, it was Mogdisho and some people actually refused and asked why would I send stuff to H kids when kids from X kids need it?

ElPunto   

I think if you're raising money as an organization and want all Somalis to contribute - then it shouldn't be about a particular region or the region that is aided rotates or is changed on a regular basis. This mentality of 'our own' is common to many folks.

If you're raising money on an adhoc basis and want all Somalis to participate - then the pre-requisite is that you as an organizer have a record of helping out at others' adhoc fundraising. Then you should get the support you need.

Originally posted by Blessed.*:

*hugs Ibts.* Hang in there, my love.
smile.gif

p.s that article was St*upid.

sida la ii barxiyay ma aragtaan .. I wanted to say that .. lakin muran & jiidjiid ka bixi maysid baan is idhi ee iska daa.

We have been raising funds for kids in Dadaab. It must something in the water but Somalis have opened their wallets and paid generously. Some even donated without attending the events. The community organizations and businesses all contributed. And we were not bullied. I don't know what's being said behind our backs but I'm happy they came out to support and kudos to them.