Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Somali Love in the age of the Internet – the role of Interpreters

Abtigiis   

The room was packed by several Somali’s surfing the web for different purposes. From Daynille to All puntland, from Carmooyin to Safka-hore, from Wardheernews to Aminarts, from xargaga to BBC. I have the feeling most were looking for news about their homeland.

Many were also chatting with families and friends. I was being nagged by Dhulqarneyn and Oodweyne (that is last Friday night) on Somaliaonline.

A dark man in his early 30s sat in the booth next to mine. Another bespectacled one joined him soon.

“ ‘Nasro’ weeye magacu.” I overheard one of them saying.

“But, it says ‘nafta’ on this account.” The other one replied.

“Waa isla iyadii. Go on. Labada magacba waa iyada”

That the two individuals were in the same booth and discussing about what I consider to be a 'private’ matter cropped up my interest and I dropped my ears towards them.

The bespecteled man read what the girl ( or maybe the women) was saying. This is what I heard, as the man kept on translating the message to the dark man loudly.

“ …me, as I told you, have been in relationship before. I quit it long time ago, and had no interest in restarting one for a long time. But, I am ready to start talking to you,…and get to know you more…”

The translations went like this: “ anigu qof hore oo aan xidhiidhi la’lahaa wuu jiray; laakin Single ayaan hada ahey…inaan is barano...”

“I have started my degree and wish to continue studying for the coming four years. I am also partly working…I have no idea of where my families- mother (she mentioned that) are. …Sorry, I cannot speak or read Somali. But I hope to improve it with you…”

The translator was an honest man. He told the guy everything literally. Word by word. Including, ..iga raali ahow for sorry.

The man in love, with crossed legs and sitting diagonally, kept on nodding and shaking head.

What made me laugh and almost brought their eyes to me is when the girl said “Ok, thank you and take care”. The translator said to the guy “ nabad galyo,...isna ilaali...taxadar”

The man chucked and said “way la socotaa South Africa inay dhib badan tahay”. She must have earned some points as a considerate girl with this misinterpretation on his part.

I didn’t see but I think her picture was attached in the e-mail.

I heard the man say bal fur. It was opened. And then I heard the dark man saying “ caadi ma aha!...ya?... Way farax santahay.” I knew the girl was smiling on the picture.

Then, the man’s turn arrived. And the translator went on writing his reply. “arimuhuu xaggana way fiican yihiin” qor he told the translator who was not good in English himself. I couldn’t sit there anymore. I let out a big guffaw and stood up. They looked at me intensely, but they didn’t seem annoyed. They must have thought something I was reading made me laugh. Conveniently, I was in the mood to smile by what Dhulqarenyn wrote to me (he was saying Caana boodhe ciyaala suuqnimada jooji ), which I actually showed to my wife later.

I visualised the day the dark guy will meet the advanced girl.

Abtigiis   

Love blooms in the internet. I have been part to this ONLY once. And I have to say I still feel nostalgic about those distant days. I mean epistolary love affair has all the thrill, and sensation that you won't have in the physical one. The visualisations, the expecations, the anonimity, the unreservedness add a tinge of flavour to it.

I still can't resist comapring what I have with what I could have had. And thinking about all the places she said she would like to live in, you can't help but wonder what it would have been if happens now.

That is why despite the funny side to it, I didn't mind the man using the interpretor. I can feel what he is going through. Asking for help is one way of coping with the emotion.

Malika

salaams sis. I think her circumstances are rather advance. :D:D But can you visualise if they were to up the game, and do the talk, who will be doing the heaving for the man? The interpretor???? :D:D

Malika   

^I suppose there will be a time,when they will have to speak on the phone.I wonder if he will still use the interpreter and how will this work?..ah! maskinka I feel for him now..Lol

Tell me about internet love affair,it sure is exalurating! The email crossing cyberspaces caring literary quality,electrifying messages enhanced with verses,virual gifts or self images..Could any heart with romantic inclination resist that? ..Oh, reaching for the mouse with sweaty palms and butterflies in the stomach to look in the in-box for new emails, smiling while reading,gazing into space visualising,how and when..There is no escape, love has arrived via the cyberspace..Lol

PS.Salaam A&T, waad kaa bogsanii dontaa jacylkasii,it doesnt last long like all missed opportunities,one tends to wonder what if... smile.gif

Abtigiis   

From my experience, the only drawback is the fear. Fear of committing yourself to what you sense is good, but you are not sure of. You know you have weaknesses you don't want to tell the other person (not always becuase you don't want to tell, but you may not realise them at all) and wonder if the other person had his and what they will be.

It is particulary difficult if you had come of a difficult relationship and is carrying the phobia. Or if you are in another serious relationship ( at least you know the person well) but one not as enticing as the one you found.

I think those sum up my experiences. Unlike the man in this story, I was sure I was dealing with a genuine person. genuine inside too. Someone who was truthful and civilized. It was hard to resist the temptations of just taking the next plane to meet her at the height of it.

Ibtisam   

Tell me about internet love affair,
it sure is exalurating! The email crossing cyberspaces caring literary quality,electrifying messages enhanced with verses,virual gifts or self images
..Could any heart with romantic inclination resist that? ..Oh,
reaching for the mouse with sweaty palms and butterflies in the stomach to look in the in-box for new emails, smiling while reading,gazing into space visualising,how and when..There is no escape, love has arrived via the cyberspace.
.Lol

All from an e-mail or bunch of words (mainly fake and enhanced) Yaab and faacajaac. I don't get it redface.gif

Malika   

^Your not one for imagination,I see,perhaps even not one for literarly romance too..hehehe :D

Forget about the love bits dear,do you want to tell me,you have never been touched by someones words even here on SOL?

Tell you what,I have never met any Soler,but there are those within these forums, whom I have utter respect for.I have come to like them ,not because I know them personally but all through their words on the screen[as to borrow,my fav soler's words].. smile.gif

ps.baal orood ee read some Mills & Boons to understand and let us rejoice in our once upon a time cyber love affairs icon_razz.gif ..loooooool icon_razz.gif:D

Ibtisam   

^^^I was on holiday in Horror land when the Mills & Boons age, I tried reading one, you don't want me to tell you what I thought of it. Seriously, don't ask.

Yeah I like certain people, but that is because I like how they think or I admire something about what they know or how they present themselves. But I don't feel "touched" by anyones words nor do I have sweaty palms and butterflies when I read their posts. I mean come on, you are having me on! :D

Malika   

:D @ Ibti.I knew you would come back with that,girl your too perfect! :D , baal iga leexo let me go check my email,my heart missed a beat there just the thought of what awaits for me in that email,a response from a lovey dovey email sent earlier.. :Dicon_razz.gif

Lol..A&T,is walking through memory lane sakaadhan..Lol

nuune,adiguu waxaan miyee kuu soo mareen?

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Malika:

baal iga leexo let me go check my email,my heart missed a beat there just the thought of what awaits for me in that email,a response from a lovey dovey email sent earlier..
:Dicon_razz.gif

I don't know but I felt envious. Yaad u dirtay? How lucky he is! :D:D

Ibtisam   

Malika err girl what ever turns your pages :D

Nuune lol beena baad isu diisasisa (Building a lie)

A&T I will give a miss to the online sensations, real life baan laa liita (that sounds wrong) LOOL :D