Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Police Brutality of Somalis in London

well... to me it's compelitly different than what Mr Smith said about Somalis in london and the Police behaviours, what we have here in london is a Police and law enforcement Agencies hunting street boys who're lacking the parental guidence from home and sometimes causes alot of confusion to the youngesteres in onother way we call it as Cultural Shock,i don't consider the police officers as offenders we are required to solve our problems first and then blame others...

i always see educated somalis say this and that, but i never see one of the them doing anything... like establishing a somali org to standup for their ppl.

talk is cheap! show the leg work. Most of the current somali orgs are qaabil based and run by folks who couldnt tell a from b. no luck there.

NGONGE   

A misleading title there. I was expecting a clip of some Somali kids being beaten up, Marc!

Any chance of a transcript of the video?

Emperor   

^Is that his real name, or you just making up...

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I was expecting a clip of some Somali kids being beaten up

Lol, How cruel!, Earlier today I was watching a clip from Nairobi where the Police was brutally beating up people like there was no 2morrow, indescribable and behind brutality... It just reminded me of that, Xaasidsanaa :D

Waryaa Caawa Im bored, could it be 2008 syndrome

Ismahaan   

Somalis, Asian and other black communities are suffering a "backlash" of racist abuse and discrimination by the police forces. The Home Office figures in the UK were evidence that black people are now eight times more likely to be stopped and searched by the police than white people. Racist incident recorded by the police have also increased by 9 per cent in 2007.I probably shouldn't be surprised about these incidents because I know the fact that Somalis are more hostile to police than other groups (this is because Somalis are both black and Muslim). Yes, that is why Somali people are getting caught for no apparent reason. Thus, I agree with most of what Mr marcassmith said especially that’’ Somali people need to stand up and be counted’’.

In my opinion, Somali people are less likely to have made a complaint against the police compared with other societies. As a community we need to better understand the indispensable roles that government plays in our society. We need to know how to tackle racism and discrimination issues without violating any law. It is time for Somali people to stand up and fight for their own rights instead of lying down like a dog. :mad: :confused:

Mawa   

Blaming others is the somali style isn't it why cant we for once take responsibility for our actions. The somali youth get themselves into all sorts from selling drugs to armed robbery and murder and you expect the police to stand back and do nothing just because we're somali, the only sad thing is the good citizens like you and I will properly get caught in the middle.

Its easy to shift the blame to someone else but, that doesn't solve the problem. every one of us is capable of doing something for the our community but we often choose not to so when things start to go wrong we have the guts to point the finger to others very hypicritcal of us dont you think. :rolleyes:

thanks for your comments, really appreciate them and i respect them. but people are entitled to opinions and i am merely express mine.

thanks for welcoming me.

one of the problems with the somali community is there is very limited reach in communicating information. and this has caused many problems.

So I as marc as humble as i am . is shaping the discourse on somali social and political issues. i am not saying i am authority and i have all the knowledge but my views are been communicated to the masses - using a different medium - however controvesial and many people seem to believe them.

if you guys want to change my ideas, dont write in a hidden and private forum, get your ideas across to the masses by mobilising and organise yourselfs. this is also a lesson somalis need to learn to particiapte in poltics.

Organisation and mobilisation

Marc

thanks guys for the support, really appreciate but i would like to know what areas do the police brutalise somalis and what can we do abou this!

i hear in woolwich but i am not sure, can anyone please tell me?

marc

Ismahaan   

Marcassm well done bro. Keep the good work.

I’ll start with the most obvious problem with Somali youth. Most young people especially Somalis are drawn into thugs for bad parenting, poor discipline in school and glorification of violence by the film, Music and computer industries. It is very disturbing to see Somali youth trying to assimilate with afro-American pop culture. I am pointing to those young people who titled hats with a limp in their walk and shabby low-rise pants. Those are the ones who bring disgrace and disrespect to our community. Simply because they are responsible for soaring levels of gun crime, drugs, alcohol, and khat abuse. Violent crime is rampant in our society. There are a few murders to be reported every month on the news whereas Somali gangs become involved in fighting with other Somali gangs.

The worry that I have is that since the killing of each and every young person that has been felled by knife and Gun crime this year (I stopped counting after it reached 11 Somalis only in London area ) meetings have been held by various organizations including Government Organizations and Somali community over the issue. Yet it seems nothing practical is being done.

Some of those thugs kill people for most trivial reasons, sometimes just for the fun of it Subhan Allah. They do not have the fear of Allah or the Hell fire to stop them doing evil which is paramount to any society. Often as a result of their action, innocent and naïve Somali youths are getting caught up and drawn into it. This is our lost generation. They are often a substitute for what is missing in their homes. Unfortunately, most Somali youths in gang are missing parent’s (especially the father figure) influence around them to help educate, discipline them, and teach them about the danger of the outside world.

We can take forever discussing the How and Why of violent crime among young people, but as long as definitive steps are not taken to address the issue, the sad reality is that the culture of violence among young Somali people will continue. My question is what's the best way to approach this problem with the youth? How does one get out of this evil cycle? What are the adults doing to help the youth? I'm afraid not much at all.

At the end of the day, we cannot blame the government or other people for not guiding our own children. We have to teach our kids to go the straight path. If we want a better future for our generation and society, we all must hold our parents and communities responsible, because we are the only sentient forces that can make the future change.