Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Nuruddin Farah-Somali Author in town....

Rokko   

One of my favorite

Somali Author is in MN.

Acclaimed Somali author Nuruddin Farah will read from his new book "Links"

at Ruminator Books (1648 Grand Avenue, St. Paul MN) on April 21st at 8:15.

More information available at the Ruminator Books events calendar

Internationally celebrated writer Nuruddin Farah returns with a novel that

brings to life Somalia's infamous "city of death," and reveals a world at

once shockingly foreign and hauntingly familiar.

"Nuruddin Farah, the most important African novelist to emerge in the past

twenty-five years, is also one of the most sophisticated voices in modern

fiction."The New York Review of Books

he's indeed one of the few talented Nomads we have so make sure you show

support.

Click here to learn about him....

Jamster   

....... But Farah has not given us a book about the destruction of ideals, it is not about the hopelessness of living in a warring, divided society. He has given us a masterpiece of resourcefulness, of hope that cannot be kidnapped or destroyed just because the individual is worth less than the clan. What makes Jeebleh’s journey through the living remnants of Mogadiscio especially immediate is Farah’s condensation of narrative, his coifed prose with not a word out of place. The reader is led as if through a maze where there is never a dead-end, yet never an exit and the limits are not so much the solid walls of Mogadiscio’s crumbling infrastructure, but the emotional and familial links which determine in which direction the guns, and limits, are pointed.... Click here for the complete review smile.gif

Sakariye   

Thanis Mobb_Deep sxb, I am from St paul and I always wanted to meet Nuradin Farah, he is my favorite writer and I enjoy his books.

Thanks again for this, hope to see you there

Rokko   

Farah, sxb I'll find out when and if he's planning to stopover to London mate..nam'ean. As far to why they live in South Africa and married to Ajnabi..? wished I knew the answer sxb except that it's their individual preference i guess..na'mean.

Zakariye, U welcome and most def you'll see me there..

"The experiences gleaned from his nomadic childhood, the climate of civil war and his later displacement as a self-exiled academic have nurtured his disdain for nationalistic and tribalistic ideologies. Essentialised versions of cultural identity are set as Farah's villains, leading his characters down the eventual path of tyranny.

The fundamental postcolonial themes of his novels are: restriction of personal freedom within a categorically nationalistic climate and the marginalisation of women....."

Now the above quote shows how different and how unique the chap is. I must say despite being in his late 50's, his understanding of the weakneses of the somali culture and luck of foresight stands out. Kudoos to his contributions and we have to be proud of him as he is one of the few Icons we have.

Blessed   

I just love Farah’s style of writing. However, I find that his unique and exaggerated perception of the Somali psych isn't a true representation of Somali society.

Most of the characters in his book share a common trait. There seems to be a subtle message that suggests that one needs to move away from cultural restriction to be free of the ignorance and barbarism associated with Somalis - Personal opinion.

Thanks for the info, MD – I was a bit short on choices of books lately.

Jamster   

Mob Deep et al,

I just had this Dream of his latest book Links being made out of a Film. Things that conjure up in the subconscious state of the mind icon_razz.gif . I will be first to buy when it comes out in London Insha Allah; at least I have something meaningful to read this summer.