Holac

Guys, why aren't we talking about the Coronavirus?

08 July 2020: Update on COVID-19 in Somalia.

> New cases confirmed today: 13
> Banaadir: 7
> Puntland: 4
> Somaliland: 2

> Male: 9
> Female: 4
> Recovery: 51
> Death: 0
------------------------------------
Total confirmed cases: 3,028
Total recoveries: 1,147
Total deaths: 92

For more information, please visit:

Dashboard: www.moh.gov.so/en/covid19
WhatsApp: bit.ly/MoHSomalia

107701150_2912875095502323_6728339241946

The vulnerabilities of Somali communities with COVID-19 in Europe 

n early March, some of our extended Somali family returned to London from Umrah in Saudi Arabia with a flu-like fever. A few days later, I attended our local mosque in Greenford; many people were coughing and sneezing. I thought it was just a seasonal cold. The following weekend, my wife Khadijo and my mother-in-law attended a community wedding; everyone hugs and shakes hands at such gatherings.

In March, I was so weak and almost collapsed on my short journey home from work. My wife Khadijo also felt like her legs were dragging around “several kilos of stones,” breathing grew harder, our sense of taste and smell was deserting us and fever visited during the nights – all telltale symptoms. My pregnant sister-in-law fell ill too, as did my mother-in-law. Only our 6-year-old stayed healthy. “You’ve got COVID-19,” a National Health Service (NHS) doctor advised on the phone. We should self-isolate for 14 days.

Thankfully we all recovered without needing to be hospitalized, but that we succumbed to the virus in the first place speaks to a broader trend: black, Asian and minority ethnic communities in England, and Europe in general, have been hit disproportionately hard by COVID-19. I’ll share some observations about my own community, hailing from the Horn of Africa.

A heavy toll

In Britain, while there’s no hard data about Somali-community infection rates, several high-profile individuals have died from the virus, including the former prime minister of Somalia, Nur Hussain Hassan, and Ahmed Ismail Hussein Hudeide, a much-loved Somali musician. Other Somali deaths from COVID-19 have been reported in the British media.

Dr. Samira Hassan, a Somali-born general practitioner in Leicester, says anecdotal evidence suggests an alarming number of Somalis are either dead from the pandemic or in critical condition. Abdirashid Fidow from the Anti-Tribalism Movement, a nonprofit organization tackling tribalism and promoting fairer societies, told me he can barely find a Somali in London who hasn’t lost a friend or relative to COVID-19. “Many of the older Somali men I knew, who used to socialize in community restaurants in my local area, have gone,” he said.

The U.K. government is investigating why ethnic communities such as those belonging to the Somalis have been so badly impacted by the pandemic, but Somali communities in other European countries aren’t doing much better. In Sweden, at least six out of the first 15 COVID-19 deaths in Stockholm were Somalis and the community remains starkly overrepresented in the death toll. In Norway, 25% of those testing positive for COVID-19 by April 19 were foreign-born, and Somalis account for 6% of all confirmed cases – more than 10 times their share of the population. In Helsinki, Finland, almost 200 Somalis had tested positive by mid-April, accounting for about 17% of positive cases – again, 10 times their population share in the city.

Fertile ground for far-right

The pandemic has brought new challenges to the community in Europe. Far-right groups have already started to stigmatize Somali and other ethnic communities by associating the pandemic with migrants and refugees. As one right-wing Scandinavian commentator tweeted, this is “A Chinese virus killing African Muslims in Sweden. The gift of open borders.”
Helsinki’s deputy mayor Nasima Razmyar is among those warning about a new wave of discrimination against minorities in Finland and elsewhere in Europe as a result of the pandemic's prevalence in ethnic communities. She attributes the disproportionate impact of the virus on ethnic communities to disadvantage and inequality.
The following factors leave Somali communities uniquely vulnerable to COVID-19.

Cultural practices

Dr. Hassan, the Leicester general practitioner, and Mohamed Ibrahim, a community leader in London, link the rapid and widespread transmission of the virus with cultural practices in the Somali community, such as large gatherings in mosques and intergenerational groups living in cramped households, which makes social distancing near impossible. It is important to note, however, that in ordinary circumstances this closeness of extended families is also a source of resilience and support for Somalis. I have observed my mother in-law’s irreplaceable and positive influence on my daughter Eemaan’s language, cultural acquisition and sense of belonging.
But such cultural practices become risk factors in a pandemic. Mohamed Ibrahim, a community leader in London, told ITV News that some Somalis feel compelled to visit relatives battling the virus or bereaved families who’ve lost loved ones to it. Social distancing is “alien to us,” he said.
Somalis’ nomadic culture and easy travel between European countries also contributed to the virus’ spread before the lockdowns. My own London home, for example, had been a transit point for traveling friends and relatives.

The refugee legacy

Europe’s Somali community overwhelmingly arrived from the 1990s onward as refugees from Somalia’s brutal civil war, often after many years in refugee camps in Africa. The war generation carries the scars of trauma. Settlement in the West brought new anxieties arising from unemployment, culture shock, unfamiliar weather, discrimination, language and housing problems. All these experiences contribute to the underlying chronic conditions that weaken the immune system and put community elders at risk of COVID-19 and other diseases. Mohamed Ali, at Global Health Policy at Kings College University also cites a lack of healthy eating as suitable to the new environment, lack of exercise and a vitamin D deficiency as factors contributing to the community’s vulnerability.

Xigasho

09 July 2020: Update on COVID-19 in Somalia.

> New cases confirmed today: 10
> Somaliland: 7
> Jubbaland: 2
> Banaadir: 1

> Male: 8
> Female: 2
> Recovery: 62
Total confirmed cases: 3,038
Total recoveries: 1,209
Total deaths: 92

107572825_2915396958583470_1592376017295

Impact of COVID-19 On Somalia’s Economy: Will the virus be a springboard to severe crisis?

The COVID-19 pandemic imposed unprecedented challenges to global health systems and economies and transferred to Somalia one of the poorest and susceptible to crisis economies of the world. The economy of Somalia was already severing due to structural deficiencies and lack of unity. The federal-level economic institution such as the ministry of finance, ministry of trade, and central bank are mainly residing in Moqdisho and have no capacity to extend their services to other regions. The central bank is not yet ready to function properly. It does not have the capacity to innovate suitable economic policies to stabilize the country’s currency value, prevent hyperinflation, and keep unemployment lower. In addition, the nation’s taxation procedures and revenue collection policies are not unitary. The regional states have autonomous economic and political institutions with different taxation and revenue maximation policies. In terms of employment, the state employs to a small fraction of the nation’s labor force compared to the private sector. Therefore, considering all these facts one may conclude state plays a negligible role in the economic activities of the country.

The nation’s economy has been massively relying on foreign aid, remittance revenues, and import. The budget of the federal government and running costs are mainly financed through budget supports and other forms of assistance from donors. Almost every Somali household receives income from her overseas family member, especially Europe and the USA. Hence, remittance revenue is the lifeblood of the Somali household’s economy. On the other hand, Somalia is one of the countries with the largest trade deficit in the world, imports extremely surpass over exports. Since the livestock industry, the nation’s export backbone has been blemished by continual export bans from Saudi Arabia, the nation ended up an entirely import-dependent economy.

The foreign aid, remittance revenues, and import are not reliable sectors because they are prone to global shocks such as political clashes, trade wars, and pandemics. For instance, COVID-19 pandemic adversely affected Somali remittance firms. The Somali remittance firms source funds from western countries where COVID-19 is massively damaged both human and economic. These countries have been executing a complete lockdown to fight against and attenuate the spread of the virus among the community. The business, schools, universities, and public transportations were completely closed. So, this instigated Somali immigrants in Canada, the USA, and EU countries to lose their jobs and not able to send money back home. Remarkably, Somali immigrants in Europe and the USA are one of the highest deadly effected diasporas by COVID-19.

The World Bank estimates show that Somalia receives nearly US$1.4 billion remittance annually which contribute 23% of the nation’s GDP. Although Somali remittance firms in western countries have been victimized by money laundering and terrorism involvement allegations, however, still remain dominant in the nation’s basic financial service and recently annexed to banking and real estate. The lockdowns in western countries due to COVID-19 have reduced the smooth follow of remittance funds and this may have a deleterious effect on household’s livelihood, families may not able to pay utility expenses. The reduction of remittance funds means people will have no cash to buy things and small business which employ a significant share of the nation’s formal and informal workers will face critical financial crisis.

Most affected areas

It is very difficult to capture the impact of COVID-19 on economy like Somalia where financial data is hardly available in public. However, the World Bank expressed concern that the pandemic may reverse decades of economic progress and poverty alleviation in the world’s poorest regions like Sub-Saharan African countries. World Bank recently estimates projects that the Sub-Sahara region could lose around $79 billion in output in 2020. In fact, Somalia will be one of the highly affected states in the region. Somalia could not impose a complete lockdown strategy, but schools, universities, local and international flights have been closed. The Khat or Qat (stimulant and flowering plant native to East African and Arabian Peninsula) import was temporarily banned.

The education sector of Somalia which is 95% private has been extremely devastated by Corona Virus (Covid-19). The primary, intermediate, and secondary school teachers have lost their salaries since tuition fees are paid monthly. The Madarasa (Koranic School) teachers also have lost their jobs and the lives of their families are endangered to die for hunger and underfeeding. There are no safety packages, food, and cash distribution to ameliorate the deteriorating economic situation of Somali teachers.

The Federal government of Somalia has banned the import of Khat in a bid to reduce the spread of Corona Virus across borders with neighboring countries, this sends a paroxysm of anger and frustration to thousands Khat traders, and street based Khat small business. The Khat is a paradoxical business, on one hand, it employs a significant share of the nation’s informal workers, and it is the only source of income for many destitute and vulnerable families like internally displaced families, and widowed women with children. It is also the mainstay of the government’s source of tax revenue. On the other hand, anti-Khat campaigners argue that Khat drains the economy and destroys the family. In fact, the ban of Khat import policy immediately impoverished thousands of families whose livelihood depends on directly or indirectly to Khat business. The government has not yet come up with any initiative to refurbish the lives of these hopeless families and workers.

The health impact of COVID-19 on Somalia is not as nasty as predicted and expected. Somalia has confirmed only 2944 cases and 90 death cases so far, although the testing rate is very limited and some of the fatuous test result cases were reported in the media. However, a country like Somalia where social protection programs, unemployment insurance benefits, and other welfare schemes are not even in the dictionary of the society deep economic downtown is imminent and unavoidable amid COVID-19 pandemic. As long as the 23% of the GDP of the country is remittance revenues from the west so any possibility of second wave pandemic that can outburst and prolong lockdown in western countries will have a catastrophic short- and long-term impact on Somali Economy.

China is the Africa’s main trade partner, especially Somalia’s business community extremely depend on Chinese markets. The full lockdown on Chinese economy and ban of international flights significantly reduced imports from china to Somalia. This skyrocketed the most of food and basic stuff prices. Somalia cansimply face food insecurity, if second wave of COVID-19 hits China again and Chinese officials prolong lockdown period. By the time I’m writing this opinion essay, china is struggling a new swine flu virus. This is not only bad news to Chinese economy but also to Somali economy.

Possible options for economy refurbishment  

COVID-19 pandemic presenting aberrant challenge to the Somali Economy amid Somalia is expecting full debt relief from the international creditors. The debt relief program will enable the country to get developmental aid, and non-concessional loans. The government should speed up the debt relief program to get loans and developmental aid to improve the lives of citizens impoverished by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The government should consult with individual donors and international financial institutions to design the kind of foreign assistance Somalia needs for economic recovery in the post-COVID-19 pandemic era. The government should allocate a significant amount of foreign assistance it received to income generation projects for internally displaced people (IDP). The government cooperating with local business communities and international NGOs should set food distribution packages to vulnerable workers such as teachers, unskilled construction workers, widowed women with children, Kat workers, and so on.

Policymakers should direct international NGOs to implement small business development and income generation projects in villages, districts, and regions where poor and susceptible communities are inhabited.

The government in partnership with international donors and local investment banks should prepare soft loans and investment mechanisms suitable to poor farmers to promote local production efficiency. Small business development, fishing and agriculture, training and skill development, and empowering women and poor farmers oriented international and local projects will lead to favorable economic growth in the post-pandemic era.

Xigasho

12 July 2020: Update on COVID-19 in Somalia.

> New cases confirmed today: 8
> Banaadir: 8

> Male: 8
> Female: 0
> Recovery: 42
> Death: 1
Total confirmed cases: 3,059
Total recoveries: 1,306
Total deaths: 93

107961412_2923240654465767_3197037233549

13 July 2020: Warbixinta COVID-19 ee Soomaaliya.

> Laga Helay: 13
> Somaliland: 9
> Puntland: 3

> Lab: 10
> Dhedig: 3
> Bogsasho: 37
> Dhimasho: 0
--------------------------------
> Tirada Guud Laga Helay: 3,072
> Bogsashada Guud: 1,343
> Dhimashada Guud: 93

Kala soco wixii faah-faahin dheeraad ah:

Whatsapp: bit.ly/MoHSomalia

COVID-19: SCHOOL CLOSURES PUT DECADES OF GAINS FOR SOMALI CHILDREN AT RISK

FB_IMG_1576320307566.jpg

Late last year, 15-year old Sahra spoke at the Mogadishu Tech Summit about challenges children in Somalia are facing. In her brief, powerful speech, she dared a room full of men and women to find meaningful ways protect Somalia’s children.

As a 15 year-old Somali girl from Mogadishu determined to continue her education, the hurdles she would had to overcome to arrive on this stage in the country’s capital are remarkable.

When I caught up with Sahra again this year, I asked what gave her the courage. She said: “I have a very supportive family, who encourage me to study and work hard in school. I want to become a minister or an administrator. Somalia needs strong leaders to bring change, and I will be one of them.”

Soon after our meeting, COVID-19 hit Somalia, and schools were closed to prevent the spread of the virus. It has been over three months since doors were shut, and Sahra along with millions of other children have no idea when or if they will ever return to school.

School-closures have had a massive impact on children around the world but in Africa, this comes on top of years of pre-existing challenges that have excluded millions of children from accessing quality education. Even before the COVID-19 crisis, Sub-Saharan Africa had the highest rates of education exclusion, with more than one fifth of children aged 6-11 years out of school. Across Africa, an estimated 262.5 million children (some 21.5% of the student population)[1] are now out of school due to coronavirus. 

The situation is even worse in Somalia. Before COVID-19 hit it was estimated that of the 4.5 million school-aged children, only 1.5 million children (35 per cent of girls and 41 per cent of boys) were in school, leaving well over 3 million school-aged children out of school.

Today, education experts estimate that an additional one million children don’t have access to any sort of learning and COVID-19 is preventing children from completing the academic year, in particular the end-of-year exams for Grade 8 and Grade 12. School closures have forced millions of  children to miss out on their basic right to learn.

When the devastating drought and famine of 2011 hit six regions in Somalia, it affected at least 3.1 million people. Half of them were children, who were forced out of school, many after being displaced. At least 15% of the children affected by the famine never returned to learning according to the Somalia Education Cluster, meaning around 225,000 children never picked up learning again. We can assume a similar or worse scenario as this time, the whole country is affected.

“Three months since schools were closed, students still have no idea when they will resume learning. This is very discouraging for many children, and we fear they may give up their education and enter the workforce”, says Mengistu Edo Koricha, Head of Education for Save the Children in Somalia.

Mengistu says although the Federal Government of Somalia has developed comprehensive strategies to allow children to learn from a distance, most of the strategies are focused on online learning and use of mass media such as TV and Radio stations. The fear is that this will exclude thousands of children in Somalia, particularly marginalised and rural children who do not have access to these tools.

Prolonged school closures have already exposed more children to abuse and exploitation in the country. Save the Children has seen a spike in child right violations, with a particular increase in cases of female genital mutilation (FGM), sexual violence and child marriage. A recent report from the Social Norms and Practice Consortium[2] found that in the 13 districts where consortium works, 52 cases of FGM were reported in March and April, compared to 38 cases in January and February. With the majority of cases of FGM going unreported, the rise is a grave concern.   

Cases of child marriage also appear to be on the rise as Save the Children case workers across the country reported an increase in the number of child marriages in their communities.

Children across the globe face similar challenges. Somalia, but other governments as well, must do more to ensure the education of children does not suffer from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Save the Children is calling for an increased funding of education, to ensure national COVID-19 plans respond to more than just the health crisis – they must make education a priority and ensure safe and accessible education for every child. Children who return to school should be able to do so safely, with access to school meals and health services. Curriculums must be adapted so that children can make up for their lost learning.

It is critical children like Sahra are protected, encouraged, and given back their dream to complete their education. Short of this, the education of a whole generation of children in Somalia and across the globe may be lost.

Xigasho

14 July 2020: Warbixinta COVID-19 ee Soomaaliya.

> Laga Helay: 4
> Somaliland: 2
> Banaadir: 2

> Lab: 3
> Dhedig: 1
> Bogsasho: 37
> Tirada Guud Laga Helay: 3,076
> Bogsashada Guud: 1,380

16 July 2020: Update on COVID-19 in Somalia.

> New cases confirmed today: 23
> Banaadir: 16

> Male: 18
> Female: 5
> Recovery: 19
Total confirmed cases: 3,106
Total recoveries: 1,444
Total deaths: 93

16/07/2020 WAR-SAXAAFADEED

Wasaaradda Caafimaadka iyo Daryeelka Bulshada waxay cadaynaysaa in shahaadada safarka ee la xiriirta baarista COVID-19 ee dadka dhoofaya ay ka qaadan karaan oo kaliya shaybaarka qaranka ee magaalada Muqdishu kaas oo ah xarunta kaliya ee haysata aqoonsiga baarista COVID19 wadata tixraaca, sumada iyo shaambadda Shaybaarka dhexe, wixiiintaas ka soo hara waxay wasaarada Caafimaadka u aqoonsantahay waxba kama jiraan sidoo kale baal marsan hanaanka baarista ee COVID19.

Wasaaradda Caafimaadka iyo Daryeelka Bulshada waxay goor walba diyaar u tahay inay u fududeeyso muwadiniinta dhoofaya wax alle wixii la xiriira baarista xanuunka COVID19 iyada oo la raacayo habraacyada qaran ee baarista Xanuunka COVID19, Dadka doonaya shahaadad safarka ee Covid-19 waxay tagi karaan goobaha baaarista ee kala ah Isbitaalka De Martino iyo Banaadir.

Wasaaraada Caafimaadka iyo Daryeelka Bulshada waxa ay diyaarisay hab online ah oo lagu hubinayo in shahaadada u muwaadinku wato ay kasoobaxday Sheybarka Qranka kasoo lagu diyaariyay garoonka caalamiga ee Aadan Cabdulle Cusmaan.

109924368_2933657276757438_1183672485887

Dowladda Soomaaliya oo soo saartay DIGNIIN ku socota dadka ka safraya Muqdisho

Wasaaradda caafimaadka dowladda federaalka Soomaaliya ayaa maanta war-saxaafadeed ay soo saartay uga digtay dadka ka safraya Muqdisho in shahaadada caafimaadka ee safarka ee Covid-19 aan laga qaadan karin meel ka baxsan sheybaarka qaranka ee magaalada Muqdisho.

Wasaaradda ayaa sidoo kale sheegtay in waraaqaha shahaadada safarka ee la xiriirta Covid-19, ee laga soo qaato goobo ka baxsan sheybaarka qaranka ay u aqoonsaneyso waxba kama jiraan baalmarsan hanaanka baarista ee Covid-19.

Sidoo kale waxa war-saxaafadeedkaasi lagu sheegay in xarunta Sheybaarka Qaranku ay heysato aqoosiga baarista COVID-19, isla markaana ay leedahay tiraac iyo sumadda sheybaarka dhexe ah.

War-saxaafadeedka ayaa waxa kale oo lagu xusay in wasaaraddu diyaarisay hab online ah oo lagu hubinayo in qofka wata shahaadada uu ka soo qaatay sheybaarka dhexe oo lagu diyaariyay garoonka diyaaradaha ee magaalada Muqdisho.

Ugu dambeyntiin waxa lagu sheegay war-saxaaafadeedkaasi in isbitalaada De Martino iyo Banaadir ee magaalada Muqdisho ay yihiin kuwa ay kasoo qaadan karaan dadka safraya waraaqaha caafimaad ee safarka, kuwaasi oo la xiriira cudurka Covid-19.

Waxaana xusid mudan in Wasaaraddu aysan marnaba cadeyn in wax kharash ah laga rabo qofka baaritaanka Covid-19 maraya si uu dalka uga safro, iyada oo baaritaanka cudurkaasi uu hore u ahaa mid bilaash ah.

Digniinta Wasaarada ayaa imaneysa xili dadka ka safraya garoonka magaalada Muqdisho lagu xiro waraaq cadeynaysa bad-qabkooda ku aadan cudurka Covid-19, iyada oo dalalka ay u safrayaana uga baaqsada galida karantiil todobaadyo ah.

19 July 2020: Warbixinta COVID-19 ee Soomaaliya.

> Laga Helay: 8

> Lab: 6
> Dhedig: 2
> Bogsasho: 5
> Tirada Guud Laga Helay: 3,119
> Bogsashada Guud: 1,457

Hajj cancelation due to COVID-19 hurting Somali farmers

With the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca, or hajj, canceled this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, the socio-economic lives of Somalis have been dealt a serious blow.

Livestock accounts for almost 80% of Somali export earnings, providing nutrition and income to more than 60% of the population, according to a report by the Food and Agriculture Organization.

“I have to sell my animals whenever I hear there is a market right now. COVID-19 has really affected us who used to export animals all the way to Saudi Arabia for Hajj,” livestock trader Cabdi Axmed told Anadolu Agency at an open-air Barwaaqo-sooraan market in Hargeisa, Somalia.

He is part of routine cattle exporters of goats, sheep and camels in Somaliland and noted the cancelation of the annual pilgrimage left the entire Somali livestock industry at a crossroads.

Many traders who have a surplus of animals reared for hajj are facing challenges.

“I have sold hundreds of thousands of cattle to Saudi Arabia in my lifetime, I have never seen anything like this where there are no markets here locally in Somalia and abroad,” exporter CabdiRaxmaan Burhaan told Anadolu Agency.

Annually, millions of heads of cattle are slaughtered during the hajj season to feed more than 10 million pilgrims from 185 nations who travel to Mecca.

“To meet demand Saudi Arabia imports over 3 million head of cattle during the Hajj Season – almost one million imported from Sudan, Somalia and Djibouti,” according to a 2019 report by the Veterinary Medicine and Science.

“Right now we are battling with not only the coronavirus but also, water scarcity and droughts, which are all killing our animals, if the markets in Saudi Arabia were open then most of the healthy animals could have been sold for Hajj and we wouldn’t have incurred losses,” said Axmed.

Livestock traders spoke of “empty pockets” because of the coronavirus. “We are very disappointed spiritually as pilgrims because even I wanted to travel to Mecca, our economy, our country relies on Hajj, so many lives are going to be ruined … maybe even lost because of this," said Axmed.

With nothing in the pockets, there is “no way to feed our families. None of these traders have anything. We were all relying on the market," he added.

The Somali economy has benefitted from the export of sheep and goats to the Arabian peninsula, cementing its position as a global leader in the export of cattle. But COVID-19 has greatly affected the market and spelled doom for hundreds of thousands employed in the industry.

"In 2010, a total of two million three hundred and fifty-two thousand (2.352M) sheep and goats were exported through the Berbera port (including from Ethiopian sources).

Of this total, one million six hundred and twelve thousand (1.612M), equivalent to 69% of the sheep and goats population, were exported between September and November for the Hajj festivities," according to a report by the African Unions Inter African Bureau for Animal Resources.

Local businesses are keeping many afloat during these challenging times, though markets have been flooded with cheap livestock leaving traders counting losses.

Xigasho

Somalia resumes football season after suspension due to COVID-19

Somali-football-TWITTER-PHOTO.jpg

Somalia became the second African country after Tanzania to resume its domestic football season following a three-month suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In March, the minister for youth and sports, Khadija Mohamed Diriye announced a halt to all sporting activities in the country shortly after the first COVID-19 case was reported in the country.

The last game in the Somali Premier League to be played was a 2-1 away win for Mindimo against Jazeera on March 18.

Following the resumption on Thursday, Horseed Sports Club beat Raadsan 4-0 while Mogadishu City defeated Elman 2-0 on Friday. Meanwhile, on Monday, Dekkeda thrashed bottom-of-the-table Rajo 4-1.

Thursday and Friday’s matches had been scheduled to take place just before the suspension of the season.

On Wednesday last week, the Somali Football Federation president Abdiqani Said Arab announced that all football competitions in the country will resume on Thursday after the federal government allowed a resumption of all sport in the country. The Somali Premier League became the first sport in the country to restart following the break.

Senior Somali FA vice president, Ali Abdi Mohamed had said that a number of precautions had been taken to ensure the resumption of the league. These included having all matches played without spectators until further notice, a ban on pre-match handshakes, rearrangement of technical benches to ensure social distancing, provision of hand sanitizers and tissue paper and deployment of additional stewards and volunteers to enforce regulations.

Horseed currently top the table with 25 points after 12 games followed by Mogadishu City and Dekkeda both on 24 points. However, Dekkeda has played a game more than Horseed and Mogadishu City. Jazeera and Rajo are ninth and tenth respectively with six and five points.

Xigasho