Sign in to follow this  
nafta

What are We??

BEAU_MEC   

Shaabella : I beg to differ on one of the points you made. You have stated that all Arabs are White. This by no means true, they can vary in shade from white to black. I think it is unfair for you to say that anyone who asks such a question has an inferiority complex. Anybody can see that we somalis look different to other black africans. Therefore it only natural to wonder about out heritage. This 'curiosity' does not mean we are not black nor does it mean we do not know where we came from. We know we are black and we know we are african. But all black africans do not look the same. I agree with you that this topic has been covered on numerous occasions. As Somalis, we are Somalis...but let us take the best of both the black African world (of which we are members by DEFAULT) and the Arab world (to which we have had close ties to since antiquity and beyond)

To our faces..arabs always assume we are arabs (in my experience anyway)but behind our faces it may be a diff story. Anyway....in conclusion: we are somali...and if you want to know where Somalis originated from, then research the many hypothesis out there and come to your own conclusion that you're happy with. If that lies in Arabia then so be it, if it lies in Ancient Eygpt(who were not white..so dont jump down my throat) then so be it.

Shaabella : stop looking at the world in black and white, there is so much inbetween!!

@+

From a somali who is black and proud.

By the way (sorry, this is for Shaabella again) do some research to find out what role the Somalia played in the slave trade! You might be shocked to find out that East Africans (bantus) were shipped form Zeila. Dont tell that your afro-american friends though..they might start thinking you're white (hahaha)...Wow i'm so gald i dont live in the USA....people are so colour obsessed.

You all are crazy.

No Matter what you say!

No Matter What you DO!

YOU ALL ARE STILL GONNA BE BLACK AFRICANS IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD!

Let me tell yall som'in IAM proud to be black, IAM proud to be AFRICAN. ANYONE who disagrees with my analysis could go sodomize themselves.

PEACE

"Some say the BLACKER the skin the SWEETER the juice" 2Pac

Muhammad   

lol very interesting topic!

I just find this some-what funny. I remembered some months ago I was watching 60 Minutes. now there was this man, he was like 50-60 years old, and he grew up believing he was a 'black' African American. he looked a lot like somali, I meen if you saw him on the street you will think he was somali. one day he sent his DNA to a lap to test his identity and in which part of africa he was from.

anyway when he found his DNA test back, it turned out that he had no african gene, not even 1 percent. it turned out he was mixed -indian, chinese, native americans, caucasians and philipino.

now this man though all his life he was something, and suddently finds out he is something else. that is very hard to cope with.

Anyway this topic just reminded me of this, so i guess if you aren't sure what you are, check your DNA! lol ;):D

And I only see myself as a Muslim from Somalia, East Africa, Planet Earth!

peace!

Blessed   

^^lol Sis. I just don't understand waxaynu dadka kale ra'yigooda isugu wareerin... Somali waa Somali - some have arabic origines - some have always been Somali - end of the day isku meel uunbey the Human race ka wada yimaadeen... Whats the big deal? I dhoon anderstaan. :D

Gediid   

I have a totally different take of who we are.....Lemme explain.

As a kid I happen to travel with my dad on a trip to Afghanistan and a few hundred miles from Kabul we came across a nomadic tribe known in Afghanistan as the Nuuristaanis.These people are natural nomads like the Somalis raising all sorts of animals whose milk they depend on for survival.As consistent with nomadic cultures they are both very tribal and very fierce.Diet wise they eat a lot of bariis and instead of qaad they smoke JARAS which is a softer version of weed.Traditions very very similar to Somalis.Even the language is so similar to Somali except for a few mispronounced words.

Now on based on those observations I conclude that we are neither Arabs nor Africans but NUURASTAANIS. :D:D:D