Saalax

Segregated city of Burco, Togdheer, Somalia gets second stadium

Saalax   

Oodweyne you try too hard. Everyone knows Burco is a segregated city (it is not the only one in Somalia, there is also Galkacyo and  others). They will be sorted out in future though.

image.png.834930201ab1e8724569c08ae85dc724.png 

galbeedi   

Saalax,

Do you know why they do not hold   " Ciyaaraha Gobolada " in Somaliland any more? because the divided city of Burco has fielded a team for Togdheer region and those teammates fought among themselves with knives. They were  expelled from participating.

Do you when was the last time they held regional games? I haven't seen since Muuse was elected.

The Burco divide is not economical or cultural, it is kinship to the extremes just like the green line of Gaalkacayo.

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

Saalax   
22 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

Saalax,

Do you know why they do not hold   " Ciyaaraha Gobolada " in Somaliland any more? because the divided city of Burco has fielded a team for Togdheer region and those teammates fought among themselves with knives. They were  expelled from participating.

Do you when was the last time they held regional games? I haven't seen since Muuse was elected.

The Burco divide is not economical or cultural, it is kinship to the extremes just like the green line of Gaalkacayo.

That was 2012 :D . The whole tournament had to be shut. 

Don't anyone tell you that there isn't a Somali city which is not divided along clan lines. We know even Boorama is divided into clan ghetos. The divisions in Boorama is not that obvious to the naked eye due to the political weight of the subclans that make up the division. 

Whereas, the current cut-throat politicking between two heavyweights neighbors in Togdheer is just highlighting or polarising the division. But it is as divided as any other Somali city. 

Burco cannot be compared to Galkacyo. Gaalkacyo's division is level of its own, where two rival administration run side by side with two different flags and systems. 

Also, in comparison to the clan division in Puntland where even the Maxamuuds do not share a common city, Burco doesn't look that bad. The Ciise Maxamuud own Garowe 100% and anyone else is a guest. The same goes for Qardho or North Galkacyo where Cismaan Maxamuud and Cumar Maxamuud make 100%. 

In any case, the division is a relic of Reer-miyi days where clans do not trust even their neighbors. It also goes to the very psych of the Somali culture. Somalis way of greeting each other is actually getting the latest news of the situation of the land:  'Maxaa la shaagay?" "Ma nabad baa?" these are all related to if there are no conflict. 

12 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

Don't anyone tell you that there isn't a Somali city which is not divided along clan lines. We know even Boorama is divided into clan ghetos. 

The current cut-throat politicking between neighbors in Togdheer is just highlighting or polarising the division. But it is as divided as any other Somali city. 

Burco cannot be compared to Galkacyo. Gaalkacyo's division is level of its own, where two rival administration run side by side with two different flags and systems. 

Also, in comparison to the clan division in Puntland where even the Maxamuuds do not share a common city, Burco doesn't look that bad. The Ciise Maxamuud own Garowe 100% and anyone else is a guest. The same goes for Qardho or North Galkacyo where Cismaan Maxamuud and Cumar Maxamuud make 100%. 

In any case, the division is a relic of Reer-miyi days where clans do not trust even their neighbors. It also goes to the very psych of the Somali culture. Somalis way of greeting each other is actually getting the latest news of the situation of the land:  'Maxaa la shaagay?" "Ma nabad baa?" these are all related to if there are no conflict. 

Agah, and I thought ahead of every other Maryooley. What hope is there for us😋

galbeedi   
23 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

Don't anyone tell you that there isn't a Somali city which is not divided along clan lines. We know even Boorama is divided into clan ghetos.

Suldaanka,

Growing up there in the late seventies and early eighties , never heard or seen clan ghettos or sub clans concentrate in any area. Everything was mixed. 

Although lately, corruption by consecutive mayors might have created ghettos by giving new lands to his sub clan which might attract like minded clans. Anyway overall Borama is mixed , and most people do not notice. 

I might add that there is a trend everywhere among Somalis to curve their own clan ghettos due to security and political fragmentation. Also, the system encourages sectarianism. You might live in the west end of the city, yet you are allowed to vote your clansman who lives in the east. There is no wards or ridding districts.

@galbeedi

You have a romanticised memory of Borama or Awdal. You have a lot of catching up to do. Waar dadkii waa bahaloobay and but thank goodness wali maynu Dugaagoobin sida Koonfurta. We have just grown thicker skin and a bit more hair in the back. :D

If you go to Djibouti, you will know exactly what I mean. The people of Djibouti are still innocent and god fearing, even after 20 years of wave after wave of Refugees. You can still feel 'Bari samaatkii' sidu dadku ahaan jiray. 

Yes, Boorama is keeping things civil but boy o boy, during the election season, that is when the civility goes out the door and it is all about reer hebel ayaa inaga wata. :D 

The ultimate challenge of the century to Somali leadership is how they can lessen Qabyaalad during an election year? 

Do you have any ideas? Because Somaliland desparately needs a way out of the rat hole. 

54 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

Agah, and I thought ahead of every other Maryooley. What hope is there for us😋

There is hope. In fact, if there is any people in Africa that is capable of transforming itself, it is the Somalis. Change comes naturally to Somalis due to their nomadic lifestyle where they will sleep a different corner of the country every other week. But the biggest barrier Somalis face is Trust, which is in very short supply. 

But never lose hope. 

galbeedi   
48 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

You have a romanticised memory of Borama or Awdal. You have a lot of catching up to do. Waar dadkii waa bahaloobay

I agree. Dadku dadkii ma aha.

49 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

The ultimate challenge of the century to Somali leadership is how they can lessen Qabyaalad during an election year? 

I think that is where we might  find a solution. 

The councilman who should be running a mixed area or a ward with different demographics , is usually running across the city like mayors. The candidate is only after the vore of his clan.

1 hour ago, galbeedi said:

The candidate is only after the vore of his clan

What if voters are profiled by clan when registrations are opened. And on voting day, they do not get the option to vote for a candidate from their own subclan or clan which ever is the differentiator (i.e. if candidates from the same main clan, then barring them voting for someone from their own subclan level).

I think that way the outcome will be unknown or cannot be easily predicted. 

The other option could be to have electrol collages like the US, each region gets a number of seats. And voting is indepedently done by each region's own Electrol Commission. The result of which Party wins the populor vote gets all the Electrol Colleges for the region. In the end, the Party which wins the regions with most numbers gets to have the President.