Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

Gall Stones

Kool_Kat   

Have you or anyone you know had gal bladder surgery?

I had pain in the upper abdomen that lasted for hours and hours...So I went to my doctor the next day, she sent me to do an ultrasound...I received a call from my doctor's office, when the results were back...I went in, very nervous...She told me that I have Gall Bladder Stones...She referred me to a surgeon, to have my gall bladder removed...

I just came back from his office, planning on having the surgery in September, which around the corner...I am nervous as HELLL!!!

Is there an alternate to surgery? I only have one stone, well as they said...

N'way, I am just trying to get some info to see if there are some SOLers that went through the same thing...and how it affected their life...

My doctor said it is no big deal, that it is very common...1 in 3 people have stones...He also said that I really don't need my gall bladder...WHAT!!!

Khalaf   

Walaalshiis before any type of surgery, always seek another opinion, see a different doctor. sometimes ppl undergo unnecessary surgery. Anyway my du'as. May Allah give us all health. Amiin. salaam

Viking   

Kool Kat,

The surgery is straight forward and generally done by keyhole. If you are going to do the the op and you are uneasy, take someone with you. But first find out the options you have before opting for surgery.

PS: If you do it, ask them to put the stones in a jar for you, they are pretty pebbles :D

Treatment options

Gallstones that present no symptoms generally don’t require any medical intervention. Treatment depends on the size and location of the gallstones, but may include:

Dietary modifications – such as limiting or eliminating fatty foods and dairy products.

Surgery – to remove the entire gall bladder, or stones from bile ducts. Around eight in 10 gallstone cases showing symptoms will require surgery. Procedures include ‘keyhole’ (laparoscopic) surgery and abdominal surgery (laparotomy), where the gall bladder is removed through an incision in the abdomen.

Lithotripsy – a special machine generates soundwaves to shatter stones. This treatment is used for those people with small and soft stones, which accounts for around two out of 10 cases of gallstones with symptoms.

Medications –some drugs can dissolve gallstones but this treatment is only rarely given, due to side effects and a variable success rate.

(Sighted in Better Health Victoria )

Good luck Sis,

Wasalaam

KK, the only person that I've come across who had dhagaxyo in her stomach taken out was islaan oo duq ah oo oo my hooyo's habaryar eh,(this was few yrs ago) and she was walking few days after the surgery.

Apparently, its not that of a big deal.

Just a quick question, aren't stones normally common among old people, and if thats true, isn't surgery the last option since older people can't endure the pain like young cats?

Everyone ought to have atleast 2-4cups of green tea a week or else, bahalo ayaa calooshada kadhalanaya and in turn create stones, and those stones could turn back on you.

Oh heck, I don't know how stones are created, but they exist and its no big deal. Toughten up KK, be strong.

Rahima   

KK,

Post the surgery change your diet to a low fat one. A diet high in fat is a major contributor to stones.

NinBrown   

walaashiis...like others said this type of surgery is straight foreward and its done laparoscopic( keyhole surgery) with <10% conversion to open surgery.

Gallstones are common specially in females so we perform this operation often, with very few complications. We usually send patients home same evening or the next morning.

The other alternative is not have the operation and the risk of that is

1) you might still get the pain from time to time.

2) get the complications of gallstones which can be severe.

anyhow tawakal calalah and good luck

Kool_Kat   

Thanks all...

I've been doing a lot research, I must say I am bit more at ease now...Insha Allah, it'll be a OK...I am still going for a 2nd opinion though...

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

Just a quick question, aren't stones normally common among old people, and if thats true, isn't surgery the last option since older people can't endure the pain like young cats?

I don't think Gall Stones are common in specific age group...Many factors contribute to having Gall Stones such as:

***Excess estrogen from pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, or birth control pills appears to increase cholesterol levels in bile and decrease gallbladder movement, both of which can lead to gallstones.

**Fasting decreases gallbladder movement, causing the bile to become overconcentrated with cholesterol, which can lead to gallstones.

**Gender: Women between 20 and 60 years of age are twice as likely to develop gallstones as men.

**Cholesterol-lowering drugs. Drugs that lower cholesterol levels in blood actually increase the amount of cholesterol secreted in bile. This in turn can increase the risk of gallstones.

**Diabetes. People with diabetes generally have high levels of fatty acids called triglycerides. These fatty acids increase the risk of gallstones.

Surgery to remove the gallbladder is the most common way to treat gallstones...Although, there are Meds, my doctor advised me that they are for older people with other medical conditions (ie. heart disease)...

Oh heck, I don't know how stones are created, but they exist and its no big deal. Toughten up KK, be strong.

Gallstones form when liquid stored in the gallbladder hardens into pieces of stone-like material. The liquid, called bile, is used to help the body digest fats. Bile is made in the liver, then stored in the gallbladder until the body needs to digest fat. At that time, the gallbladder contracts and pushes the bile into a tube—called the common bile duct—that carries it to the small intestine, where it helps with digestion.

Bile contains water, cholesterol, fats, bile salts, proteins, and bilirubin. Bile salts break up fat, and bilirubin gives bile and stool a yellowish color. If the liquid bile contains too much cholesterol, bile salts, or bilirubin, under certain conditions it can harden into stones.

LG, I can not believe you said "Toughten up", in taad iisoo duceyn leheed oo quraan aad ii aqrin leheed... :mad: :mad: Waan isla joognaa ani iyo adi Torontolee aan kugu qabto...lol