Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Time To Top Up Your imaan

Kashafa   

................And another potenial thread-of-the-year disintegrates due to feminist pride and cries of "LABELING.. LABELING AT SIX O'CLOCK".

Always gotta ruin it don'cha, lassie

Piya: In between? What, like a ho' with a heart of gold, for example? I think you're asking the wrong people here. There are only 3 categories. Choose one or none.

Kashafa,

Less labelling, dear. You're developing a fixation on feminists. From what I hear, they usually don't go for the 'meat and veg'.

Nephissa   
Originally posted by Aeronwen:

[QB] Piya: In between? What, like a ho' with a heart of gold, for example? I think you're asking the wrong people here. There are only 3 categories. Choose one or none.

I'm not going to allow that, there should be more then 3 categories. And no, "ho' with a heart of gold" is not what I had in mind. :D

U have an analogy that you couldn't not share with us so u used it. But it doesn't support your Imaan top-up call, does it? As Imaan is gender-less how about you create an analogy for something that both the sexes suffer from and that shows outwardly in their behaviour? It might take more ingenuity, I grant you. You can't see Imaan on the whole and what you might see as a representation of one's Imaan may not be the entire story. Imaan is a difficult subject to explain let alone analogise but u could have picked on prayer for instnace. Or was that too serious a subject to trivialise into 3 categories? U went for the obvious, Nur. Men can't take their eyes off women, can they?

You say: In men a similar classification exists, but, men do not have to wear special dress to show their observation of the law, But in their actions, or the lack of, one can tell if they are forward biased toward Islam, conducting both ways, or outright resisting the guidance of siraatul Mustaqeem.

This is also true for women, I know you know. U are writing this from a man's point of view; picking on women's attire and creating categories where some are sisters and others are not is a cheap shot. It rhymes, I get it, haha, I also get the science part, woohoo. If what u really wanted to do was discuss women's Imaan(the clever part of the unfunny analogy, although there are two analogies in your topic- the other is the energy analogy) then do so by all means. This attempt at creating a humourous list aimed at the women and tagging it with 'but men also' in an effort to appease is not going to cut it.

One funny analogy to cover the issue please.

Nur   

Sheherezade sis

I admit that you are right sis, but I did not intend it that way, I am a sexist all right, but when I compare the two genders, specially in our Somali community, I admire our women more, I wrote articles that put men down, so much that i was accused of being a woman masquarading in a man's name, I was called Nasra instead of Nur, so there you have it sis, its hard to express ones opinions these days without being labeled to be against a particular segment.

As for men, walaalo, I have a freind who i admire, but lately I could see him trimming his beard to the point he has only the shades, at one time, when he walks in, you would notice his overflowing beard, as a sign of his conviction.

Although the rule holds for most cases, a beard or a Hijaab at times is not an indicator of what is inside, a woman who I recently met in business surprised me in her high ethics, her faith in Islam, her dedicattion and wish to work for Islam and her struggle to learn islam, she even invited me to her islamic class to meet her teacher and fellow students, this woman is not a Hijabi at all, she wears the most fashionable clothes on the market (with modesty), after few busines meetings the past few weeks, we discussed the Hijab issue as a side issue, and she told me point blank, Nur, You convince me, I wear" well, now I am convinced that its all about conviction, may Allah guide us all to the right path. Amin

Nur

Baashi   

^Adduunyo.

The observation on the dress code among Somali xaawaleey fits the bill quite well. Farta iyo meesha buktaa is og saying comes to mind when one reads how strongly some of the folks protest against Nur's simple observation.

One can't help but see garden variety of dress codes among Somalis and how some embrace Hijab, some disdain it, and some neither embrace nor disdain but cross dress.

The fact of the matter is that Islam has a dress code and its adherents are expected to abide the instructions of their religion. Some happily oblige doing what they are required to do by their religious dictates. Others don't have the discipline nor the inner security to consistently follow through their commitments, and others wanted to have it both ways. The latter group are known to make a big nasty noise when someone talks about the issue. Transistor description is so right on the money :D

Originally posted by Baashi:

.... Some happily oblige doing what they are required to do by their religious dictates. Others don't have the discipline nor the inner security to consistently follow through their commitments, and others wanted to have it both ways. The latter group are known to make a big nasty noise when someone talks about the issue. Transistor description is so right on the money
:D

Baashi, walaal runtii ii sheeg, maantana tan baad rumeysantahay ...

Baashi, Nur's observation was simplified into 3 types of women as a reflection of their Imaan- something u elaborated on the first time it was posted.

This topic is like a stand-up gig where some boo and the rest howl in agreement. Nur's routine will not always hit home- depends on the audience- and he needs to know why. We can be a tough crowd and for a reason.

If Nur wants to get his message across he will have to pay attention to his timing and delivery or it will fall flat on its face- for some of us. Of all the people in these boards Nur gets the most applause and Castro the most jeers. Neither is infallible but one deals exclusively with Islamic issues and his words should be put to more scrutiny. Too many are too busy trying to lynch Castro who has never offered to enlighten us. Nur, has chosen this role and this audience isn't made up entirely of cheering robots(and I have done my share of cheering him on) or laughing men. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of THINKING going on on SOL.

Baashi   

Shez,

Abaayadiis with all due respect you're missing the point. This is not about Nur. This about our view in matters of large importance. Nur has consistently advocated for one world view. I share that world view with him and other members of SOL. He doesn't get it right all the time every time in all articles. He is human and to err is human. However, he is known quantity doing the bidding of known world view in a persuasive, rational, and creative manner.

I have no problem with members dissenting, scuritinizing, and refuting anyone. I don't like (I can live with though) folks who, in their protestation, don't make tangible refutation.

As to booing and cheering comment. Yes. But don't mistake that being a blanket check for approval. For the most part, it is informal way of agreeing or disagreeing. After all this is a forum. In addition, it is the case that some folks you have agreed in this post might post something that you can't possibly agree with and hence it's more likely that you disagree.

If you are hinting the fact that some folks are sometimes taking sides without looking into the gist of the article and taking a principled stand, you are not wrong.

Finally, there is a lot of thinking going on in SOL. We're not just agreeing each other methinks.

Caano Geel,

Yes. Remember I wrote it.

[edited ]

Originally posted by Baashi:

Caano Geel,

Yes. Remember I wrote it.

now who gives the right to label and judge the choices and convictions of another of allah's creations .. ! By agreeing with the label, u're condoning it and what your telling me is that you are in a possition to judge the 'imaan' of another being!

.. Now as was once said "Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself"

Baashi, my point is: the identical Islamic post may come from Nur and another SOLer but Nur's words will have more gravity. Why? Because he sells himself as our light/guide/reminder whatever. An audience cheers when a familar, good-guy stand-up comes on stage but they may be kinder to him if he flops as they know he can do better. When its comedy, it's fine when it's serious issues, it's not.

I'm not attacking Nur. I have benefited greatly from his work.

Don't know if I'm making sense- somebody has been beating a dog(may be more than one) savagely for the last few minutes. I have NEVER heard such cries of agony from any creaure in my life, I have been hearing the blows make contact with bodies. What shall I do? I'm so mad, too much of a wimp to go and confront the real animal doing this to the dogs behind his closed doors; he might turn on me. It's making me sick. Ya Allah, how evil, I'm going to make a call to the animal protection people, u can't have an animal taking care of 3 dogs. :(

Baashi   

Caano,

Let's get one thing straight. Commentary on social issues is legitimate in journalism as well as water cooler corner; No?

Now calling names to my sister or any other individual is not only impolite but it is also against the rules. Why? Because once you resort to name-calling you personalize the issue.

I just can't see you going down this route saaxiib. I really don't! I commend you on standing up for our sisters for you perceived the whole post as one targeted agaisnt the fair sex. Don't trivilized it sxb. The way I undesrtood the post is it's about Islam. Iman is the starting point of embracing Islam as a way of life. Once you commit yourself to the ideals and concept Islam advocates for, the expectation is to follow through.

The author is commenting on social and as well religious issue. He has every right to do so. New York Times do it. Every Joe and Sally do just that. I find it quite disheartening for you and others to twist the brothers' comments into being labels or one that borders sexism.

It is hight opportune to recognize the difference between personal insults and social commentary. This topic is simple. It is about, among other things, Islamic dress code. Those who have deep convictions and the knowledge of how important Hijab is put on the garments without resistance and excuse. I absolutely understand why the non-practising sisters would protest. That is quite understandabvle. Where is Caano Geel coming from?