Sign in to follow this  
OLOL

Game: Find the english words in Somali cities

OLOL   

Here is the game....Every Somali city has an english word in it...if you ain convinced word is not english as CAD in BALCAD or LOB in Buulobarde -- go and check it with dictionary.com

Think of a city and find out the english word in it... like this

Kissmaayo

Mogdishu

Baidao.

Hargaysa

Marka

Jilib

Bossa*** o

Afgooye

Afmadoow

Buuloburte

Balcad

Matabaan

Qandala

Maf Kees   

They way you're doing it is just silly. You have to try a different approach. Stop reading the words and listen.

You can get Mocca Tissue out of Mogadishu or Beau Sauce out of Bosaso.

BOB   

Originally posted by OLOL:

Kissmaayo

Abaa magaalada haiiga ciyaarin wax Kiss la dhahaayo majirto ee waa Kismaayo Caddeey which originates from a Swahili word of Kisima meaning a "Well" ama Ceel.

we have our own lingo called "Af Jinni" and those of us from the Greater Kista we say, we live for three things.. Beach, Ball (Soccer) and Beautiful Women.. now honestly tell me what more could a guy want..

PS. My Hooyo (may allah s.w have mercy on her soul) who was a Sijui (Born and bred in Kenya) used to get annoyed with my elder brothers whenever they spoke the lingo at home simply because they called it "Af Jinni" and she would be like "i don't want the language of the devil spoken in my house" :D:D:D Poor Mother

Peace,Love & Unity.

Baashi   

Boby siKmayo yio siktaada yio rakbuunadaada ma aheenoo :D .

Don'y forget our sister city Camp Amxaaro in CabdiCasiis, Xamar Cadeey where shaqal-dheer Af-Jinni is practiced ala Majengo style aight.

BTW I agree we like beach (ahem Ceel Caafimaad if you know what I mean :D ) and kaaljo but for the record I'm not ciyaal ii dhiib noo :D

Speaking of the names of Somali tuulo have you ever heard these:

Urraanuroow,

Arbaheeroow,

Buulo Warbo,

Aalan Fuuto,

Badhaadhe,

Fruqleey,

Garas Jeeraad,

Bilis qooqaani :D

Hoosingoow

Santaaro,

Yoonteey,

Sanguuni,

All in SH. Hoose and Jubbada Hoose.

BOB   

Baashi,

Abaa waa ii gabatay nooh...that's not Reer Kismaayo Spirit bro...fiiri hada Misaajidkaan u cararaa Casar aa diyaar ah i will send you a PM later on insha allah then we will handle our family affairs Insha Allah. Take Care Bro.

Salama caleykum w.w.

Peace,Love & Unity.

Garas Jeeraad,

Bilis qooqaani

Hoosingoow

Sanguuni,

I actually remember being at those places. Bilis qooqaani was the funniest tho i may add. :D

Baashi   

^If you only know the meaning of the city.

My man BOB where did I go wrong walaalkiis? :D If I come accross kinda Galti it is only because I moved out my hometown to that bigger city of ours about age of 9 or as we best remembered it grade 4th. And you know what that does to one's spirit right?

Kulu shay bacda salat. That's right. Any time bro.

Baluug   

Can someone tell me who was the friggin' nutcase that gave the town of Dhuusa Mareeb it's name? And what does "Mareeb" mean?