Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

She made it on her own - Elham Al Qasimi is the first Arab woman in the North Pole

ailamos   

IMG_0792.jpg

Braving the best nature had to offer, digging deep into reserves of human resilience seldom discovered by many and achieving what she had always dreamed, Elham Al Qasimi did what she had set out to do. She became the first UAE national and the first Arab woman to reach the North Pole and in the process managed to break many barriers, erase countless misconceptions and truly display the power of dedication, discipline and faith. Upon setting foot on the north most point of the world, Elham made her first phone call to H.H Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, who was anticipating the call, and gifted the completion of her challenge to all rulers and people of the UAE..

The only way to describe what Elham endured and achieved, is to let her say it the way she wants to:

I first have to express an immense amount of gratitude to my sponsors for their support, to my friends and family for personally sharing this journey with me, and the national and international public that expressed their profound support. This journey was far from individual and for that I can only gift the accomplishment to my President, to all the rulers of the UAE, and the people of the UAE. So much of the most important experiences in our lives are personal not professional, yet we sidestep them or tuck them away, waiting for the 'right time'. The journey was far more important than the destination on this journey. So much churned inside me, that by the time the North Pole was inside I felt a profound peace in every cell. I don't think I would have made it if I was laden with all the distractions, worries and anxieties that we carry around in our normal lives.

This journey was the most formative thing I have done in my late twenties. Late teens and early twenties are ripe with opportunities for growth and development that come to you by virtue of your life-stage. But as time passes, we must be a little more proactive in seeking out such experiences and more importantly the right experiences if we wish to grow. I sought the most extremes of external conditions to obtain internal growth. This may not be the right approach for everyone, but it certainly solidified in my mind the critical important of investing in the 'people' part of people one way or another.

Managing the cold was immensely challenging. I have a petite frame, therefore this was even more crucial for me. But I buckled down and stubbornly bombarded my guides for information and tips. It was so important in that situation to be humble about my own knowledge and capabilities. Most people on the expedition had immense outdoor and cold experience. For me it was different. It was deliberately the diametric opposite of anything I had grown up with or experienced. I wanted to succeed despite that.

When I arrived at the Pole, no part of me felt alone. My loved ones each wrote encouraging words in a small journal I carried with me. And as I approached the last 2 miles, I heard excerpts of it with each of their own voices. I could sense my nation willing me forward. It was a magical last 2 miles.

Arab women are half the population, half the human capital that we have in the region, and most importantly they raise the next generation, shaping their minds and characters to a certain extent. It is half the human capital that often remains untapped. Unlocking that needs to be about more than education. Its life experiences, building opinions and interests and preferences and goals... In the multiple roles that women play we can maximise their impact by simply realigning access and exposure to character building experiences, which will be different from person to person but the effect the same.

Elham has a degree in Business and Marketing at the American University in Dubai in 2004, and an MSc in Management of NGOs from London School of Economics. Before she embarked on her expedition, she was an investment manager at the Impetus Trust.

http://www.eyeofdubai.com/v1/news/newsdetail-43553.htm

Polanyi   

The North pole was originally settled by Cushitic East Africans. But their history has been hidden by the western governments.

They say she didn't have any material assistance, I doubt that. No motorised equipment, yeah right. She made it single-handedly, yeah. don't mind me, I'm a skeptic

ailamos   

Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

The North pole was originally settled by Cushitic East Africans. But their history has been hidden by the western governments.

I hear they found archaeological evidence to back that...

Khayr   

Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

Damnnn cover up as always. Others taking credit for what the africans did first. :mad:

The rich do indeed live lavish lives. I had an exec. travel to the artic for an artic expedition (which he paid for alot along with his rich friends). I never understood it - paying to put your life in danger. Mush maqool! :confused:

^Given that humanity originates from Eastern Africa and Cushitics populate that part, the 1st people to get there were surely Cushitic, right?

Surely, there must be other worthy challenges out there for people to do other than cc-ing Gaalo. Come on.

-Lily-   

I don’t understand when people do silly things like climb a mountain or go sailing round the world feel they have helped humanity? It doesn’t matter if you’re Chinese or 12 or Arab, how is it useful? A personal achievement certainly but nothing to brag about to the rest of the world.

ailamos   

^^ I don't think the point is whether or not it's "useful", she had a personal aim and she accomplished it.

NGONGE   

^^ Pay attention now, Lily. The answer is in the title. Arab women can be as liberated and privileged as any in the rest of the world. They even can and do cross the North Pole when they fel like it. Hurrah for humanity.

(Hope you got the point).

-Lily-   

Yes but people reach personal aims everyday, does it warrant that attention from press?

Oh well, good on her.

NGONGE   

^^ It's the UAE press. It is to show that their women are not oppressed and stuff. :D

Incidentally, in many UAE forums the most burning discussion was about the permissibility of going to the North Pole without a mehram. :D:D:D

Tuujiye   

Ngonge ninyahoo naga dhaaf dee!!! your reading into this too deep laakiin you do have a point... jaahilnimo hakugu yeero nin aad adiga ilbixisay oo aad bartay sida musqusha loo isticmaalo waa dhibaato....

I just don't see why people would pay so much for something like that but everyone has the right to reach their personal goals and she did hers so good for her!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Khayr   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Pay attention now, Lily. The answer is in the title. Arab women can be as liberated and privileged as any in the rest of the world. They even can and do cross the North Pole when they fel like it. Hurrah for humanity.

(Hope you got the point).

Thats exactly why Ailamos posted it. Why else but why else? :D