Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Gift from God

N.O.R.F   

I didnt know where to post this. So i will post here for maximum exposure. This is a man whos cricketing acomplishments i have been following all year (usually via the radio). "Mohammed Yusuf scores a double century" was common.. But, until today, i had no idea he has been a Muslim for only 2 years (masha allah). Here is a short piece

Before Mohammad Yousuf's conversion to Islam from Christianity, rumour has it he was told by those close to the Pakistan squad that he was the only thing standing between God and his team.

_42328831_yousufthanks203.jpg

Not so now. Since he became a Muslim in 2005, Yousuf's star has been on this rise and in the last year his batting average has risen to a staggering average of 99.33.

He has certainly cemented his status as the lynchpin of Pakistan's Test side and established himself as an all-time batting great in the process.

He now has a new world record mark for runs scored in a calendar year - 1,788 to be precise - eclipsing Sir Viv Richards' previous record by 68 runs.

And in doing so he notched up his ninth Test century of the year.

In the aftermath of his record-breaking innings in Karachi, the softly-spoken 32-year-old was clear about the catalyst to his success.

"It was only with God's help that I achieved this," said Yousuf, who converted from Christianity nearly two years ago.

The statistics appear to support his belief. The player, formerly known as Yousuf Youhana, averaged around 48 in his first 59 Tests before converting.

Since adopting the Islamic faith of his team-mates, Yousuf scored a double hundred in Lahore to seal the winter Test series against England for Pakistan and, although Pakistan lost the return series to England last summer, Yousuf shone, hitting scores of 202, 192 and 128.

The right-handed batsman also made two centuries against India and four in five innings against the West Indies to take his Test century count for 2006 to nine - which also happens to be a world record.

Yousuf, now sporting a bushy beard, says his change of faith has given him a new-found focus on the field.

"I had money and fame but I was restless," he explained.

"Offering prayers five times a day makes you disciplined and I take this discipline onto the field as well."

Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer agrees that religion has helped Yousuf hone his batting technique and develop his mental strength.

"Islam has helped him focus his skills and shaped the way he trains," said Woolmer.

"There is no doubt that his religion has encouraged a new serenity at the crease, where he is calculating in his shot selection, deadly in its execution and determined in its application."

The focus on Yousuf's religion, however, should not be allowed to undermine the fact that the 32-year-old has always been a naturally gifted player.

The son of a railway worker brought up in modest surroundings, he once pondered a career as a tailor before battling to make the grade in domestic cricket.

Unusually for a player on the subcontinent, he was made to wait until the age of 23 before breaking into the national team.

_42328879_yousoflords.jpg

The right-hander's patience and masterful stroke play eventually paid off and led to a call-up for the tour of South Africa in 1998, where his debut innings in Durban lasted a mere 40 balls.

While his natural flair was never in question, Yousuf's temperament at the crease and his ability to switch on for big matches drew criticism.

But while plenty of his contemporaries fell victim to the revolving door selection policy in Pakistan, Yousuf survived and has been allowed to grow into his role at number four.

"Yousuf has come of age," said former Pakistan captain Rameez Raja. "He can be depended upon to score for Pakistan in high-pressure situations."

While his place in Pakistan lore in assured, Yousuf's record-breaking day against the West Indies could finally see him mentioned in the same breath as contemporary batting greats, like Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting and Brian Lara - an honour which has eluded him.

"He is one of the best batsman produced by Pakistan and the way he is batting I see him going on to break many new records," said another former Pakistan captain Hanif Mohammad.

"I have a feeling this is just the beginning."

bbc

N.O.R.F   

Yousuf 'proud' after record year

Pakistan batsman Mohammad Yousuf was full of pride after his record-breaking day in Karachi against the West Indies.

Yousuf passed Viv Richards' 30-year-old record of most runs in a year and also set a new mark of nine Test hundreds.

It helped Pakistan pile the pressure on the Windies in the third Test and he said: "Viv Richards is a great player.

_42327739_yousuf270.jpg

"Richards and Brian Lara are two of the greatest batsmen of this century and to be reckoned alongside the greats is a great satisfaction for me."

Yousuf's second-innings 124 took his record this year to 1788 runs from 19 innings at an average of 99.33.

Richards' record, which had stood since 1976, was 1710 runs.

And Lara paid tribute to his opposite number, saying: "It is excellent, to score nine hundreds in a year and near 1,800 runs in a year. Yousuf deserves all the credit.

"His run of form is tremendous, though I didn't like the last 600 he scored this season."

Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer was also full of praise for the 32-year-old, describing the record as "an amazing feat".

"I played against Viv in that 1976 series and have coached Yousuf now," said Woolmer, who played in 19 Tests for England in the 1970s.

"Both Yousuf and Richards had different styles. Richards was aggressive, Yousuf is cool and sedate. Yousuf has been phenomenal and you need to be at your peak and consistent to beat the record of most runs in a year."

Former India batsman Sanjay Manjrekar attributed Yousuf's remarkable form to his conversion to Islam in 2005.

Yousuf said after his knock that "it was only with God's help that I achieved this" and Manjrekar said: "He has always been a graceful player in full flow but now he is mentally stronger and more focused out in the middle. He bats like he is in a trance."

Former Pakistan captain Hanif Mohammad added: "He is one of the best batsman produced by Pakistan and the way he is batting I see him going onto break many new records.

"I have a feeling this is just a beginning."

Meanwhile, Lara admitted his West Indies side faced a huge task to get something out of the third Test on the final day, adding: "Our minds will not be on the total, but to bat out the day."

bbc sport

He could be a good role model for any young muslims in their pursuit of success in any sport genre and this clearly shows that Islam and Sport can go together. Nice read, eventhough I dont understand this game.

I used to watch him during my days in Pakistan, superb bastmen. From I what understand, Saeed Anwar introduced Islam to him, and the two actualy resemble each when sporting that big gar.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

Why are you posting this Terrorist looking athlete in this section? He was already discussed in the sports section, and thats where he shall remain, in the sports section since the man is an athlete who plays a professional sport.

LG, I think he was called a terrorist by an Australian/South African and you condoned it (predictable). Now by stating he looks like a terrorist are you not insulting Muslims?

SOL Golden Rule No 4:

Anti-Islamic: No one will be allowed to insult Islam and Muslims under any circumstances. Your post will be deleted and/or username banned if cought with any anti-Islamic attacks. Your views are welcome but your deragotory language against Islam/Muslims will not be welcomed......

NORTH, you are quoting the GOLDEN RULE OF SOL to me when you yourself turned a blind eye on the other rules, 1-100. Please, quit crying and I haven't insulted islam, I just said he looks like someone I would run from if I were to end up in the same airplane as him, simple. When did personal views become an insult to islam? Nice try, and go wash those tears off.

LOL@THE OTHER CHARACTER AND EMBRASSING YOU, what do you want me to do? Shed a tear or two for you? What a funny character you are.

PS:Whenever naagaha somali who make the news, Ayan hirsi etc are being called names, and mind you they are fellow muslims, why haven't you quoted this so called golden rule on those that continued to insult her and the rest of the women that had been discussed in this forum?

You think just because I made the comment and the fact that he is a man you admire who happens to play a sport you enjoy all of a sudden constitutes as an insult to Islam? This isn't about you, because I didn't call you a terrorist looking, I called a paki man, who doesn't even know you exist in this world a terrorist looking, so do yourself a favor and get over yourself.

N.O.R.F   

OK,

I just said he looks like someone I would run from if I were to end up in the same airplane as him, simple.

I suppose you dont understand what constitutes an insult. Your basically saying a man who wears a beard looks like a terrorist. In my view this is an Insult to Islam and Muslims. Lets have a vote right here on SOL if you want.

PS:Whenever naagaha somali who make the news, Ayan hirsi etc are being called names, and mind you they are fellow muslims, why haven't you quoted this so called golden rule on those that continued to insult her and the rest of the women that had been discussed in this forum?

What is this supposed to be your 'but they did this' argument? As far as i can remember people insulted Ayan Hirsi's character (which i personally have no problem with by the way) and not anything of Islam or Muslims. There is a difference in insulting a man with a beard and calling him a terrorist because he wears a beard and insulting a muslim for having anti-Islamic views believe you me.

You think just because I made the comment and the fact that he is a man you admire who happens to play a sport you enjoy all of a sudden constitutes as an insult to Islam?

Admiration and sport aside, the man wears a beard and all you could say was "he looks like a terrorist". Let me ask you a question. Would you call everyone who wears/wore a beard (including important figures in Islam) terrorist looking?

The angry teenager syndrome seems to have stuck to you madame!

TP, sorry saxib, had to be done.

Ms DD   

LG

Do you know what Ayan Hersi said about our beloved prophet (saw) and About Islam? She also claimed that she isnt muslim.

.....In the past, Hirsi Ali has called the prophet Mohammed a "perverted tyrant." She remarks, "he has said a few things that are not compatible with democracy." She has also called a part of the Koran "a license for oppression."

"They just don't get it, I think," says Hirsi Ali, who says her father thinks she's misguided. "The last time I spoke to my father, he told me that he believes that one day I will return to the faith."

See for yourself LG. here is Ayan Hersi on CBS news:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/11/60minutes/main679609.shtml

The man with the beard is following the sunnah of the prophet (saw). Did you know that? Please dont be brainwashed. Get yourself Islamic education before you make these awful insults.

You do not need to be a man or a cricket fan to be offended.I am offended as well.

Northerner has already posted a brilliant response. But I will leave you with this. Last I checked Timothy McVeigh was a terrorist and he was white. Does that mean every clean shaven white man is terrorist looking? Ridiculous.

Please stop watching Fox News those subliminal messages are having an effect on you.

Buuxo   

I find the comments that Lazie made, competely and utterly appalling. it is quite sad that we muslims are being apologetic for everything about islam , if we thought that was bad enough we have muslims believing this facade about terrorists. lazie know this , when you call a follow muslim a terrorist based on their appearence(beard) which is a sunnah, it is wrong and dont think you are accepted, by those kaafiirs that hold such views.

i urge my follow SOLers to condemn the comments of Laziegirl and be counted.

suppose you dont understand what constitutes an insult. Your basically saying a man who wears a beard looks like a terrorist. In my view this is an Insult to Islam and Muslims. Lets have a vote right here on SOL if you want.

Neither do you, because if you did know what an insult was, you wouldn't have made this comment

The angry teenager syndrome seems to have stuck to you madame!

That my dear moderator is an insult on its own league. Call me child like is just as bad as me calling a paki dude a terrorist. One insult for another, but the difference between you and I is that aniga ma karkarin, like a hot boiled water the way you did when I read that belittling comment towards me.

What is this supposed to be your 'but they did this' argument? As far as i can remember people insulted Ayan Hirsi's character (which i personally have no problem with by the way) and not anything of Islam or Muslims. There is a difference in insulting a man with a beard and calling him a terrorist because he wears a beard and insulting a muslim for having anti-Islamic views believe you me.

They might have not intended on carrying it as far they did on numerous times, but they went further than insulting her character as you put it. They questioned her faith, some wanted to throw her out of the religion itself.

Bottom line is, Ayan Hirsi is just a prime example, there has been many insults towards women all around this very same forum, especially those that had their skin showned etc.

What is not alright in my book is, DEAR MODERATOR, for you to stand up for those you admire.

and dont tell me you do not admire the guy, because you took the time to actually dedicate a thread to him even thought he was already discussed sometime lastyear. You admire him because you took the time to find some stats on him so you can share it with the general viewers etc. You can't stand the fact that he does look like a religious fanatic who will any minute blow up, and as I said before and I will repeat it again, I wouldn't be on the same plane as him looking like that. I would be eying him constantly, thats just my opinion, get over it, it doesn't concern you.

Lately, you been on fire, may I suggest inaad lugahaada aat groundka taabsisid, you don't want to go to war with me, just a warning.

To the other individuals, bla bla bla bla.

To the person who said I am influenced by FOX, I'm not atleast influeced by googling and checking out few games of this person and all of a sudden he is this saint, yet he has no clue who this man is, aside from what is written and reported off him. Amazing and you say I am influenced by FOX?