Sign in to follow this  
DigibAc

Abwaan

DigibAc   

Who is your favorite poet and what is your favorite poem.

mine is Abshir Nuur Faarax because he sword agaist the gaal raac!

Abwaan   

I think it is a very difficult question to answer. Somalis, the nation of poets had many amazing heroes in this section starting with the infamous Sayid Mohammed Abdille Hassan, Abdullahi Suldaan Timacadde, Raage Ugaas. Other great poets such as Gaariye (has anyone heard of his Ayaan baa iman doonta Maanso, which clearly explains what is currently happening in Somalia and when did he write this? More than 10 years ago, there is a website with his name), Hadraawi and Abshir Bacadle should also be mentioned.

Each of these I mentioned and many more whom I did not has contributed a lot of meaningfull poems to the Somali literature.

I personally would choose the Sayid as the best of all and this is because that his poems were dedicated to the struggle to fight against the colonial as well as being unique.

BOB   

Originally posted by Abwaan:

starting with the infamous Sayid Mohammed Abdille Hassan

Infamous?

Salam Aleikum W.W

For me its got to be Sayid Muhammed Abdullah Hassan (may Allah s.w be pleased with him) Qamaan Bulxan, Ismail Mire, Mohammed Ali "Beela-leey", Salam Carabey, Abdullahi Moallim "Dhodan", Abshir Bacadle, Carees Ciise...

Lately I have been listening to poetry, especially to the Somali poets and I've had the privilege to read/listen to all these great poets even if I needed translation for some of their sentences and I was blown away and amazed at the talent these great Somali men possessed...Genius is the word comes to mind and its an honour to read/listen to them indeed.

Currently I'm enjoying Abshir Bacadle's poem where he talks about the hazards that the Miraa causes and I love it...

I was told he used to chew himself...is it true brothers?

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

DigibAc   

What other poets have waged war against the gaalo and the gaalo raan that have sold us to the xabasho and subjected us to xukunka daaquut?

hodman   

Hadraawi is my all time favourite with his gabay about Sirta Nolosha and all the other beautiful ones. Sayidka and Gaariye are also very good. Bacadle cracks me up! He is a pleasure to listen to. I think Somali ppl are very talented in Poetry It's a shame that not many people know how rich it is

DigibAc   

Wallahi we have such a treasure in our language and the eloquence, skill of our poets. I don't know all the poets you guys named above except a few of them.

Jacaylbaro, Timacade (Eebe naxariista janna ha ka waraabiyo) has a spacial place in my heart; his tape was always in the background when i was growing up.