Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Knight Rider

Chimera   

They messed up the car of cars

a0005086_9385117.jpg

K.I.T.T

Knight Rider drives again! Eighties TV show gets a makeover

By EMILY SHERIDAN - More by this author » Last updated at 21:07pm on 13th December 2007

After two decades away from the small screen, Knight Rider is back... but K.I.T.T. is looking rather different.

David Hasselhoff became a household name when he beat Don Johnson to the part of Michael Knight in the action series, which ran from 1982 to 1986.

Hasselhoff's Knight was a modern-day 'knight' fighting crime with the help of his advanced smart car with artificial intelligence.

U.S. studio NBC are currently filming a new TV movie of Knightrider - but with a very different Michael Knight and K.I.T.T. in the show.

The new Michael Knight: Emmy-winning soap actor Justin Bruening

At 55, original star Hasselhoff has been deemed to old to play Knight, so American soap heart-throb Justin Bruening will play the character's estranged son Mike Traceur.

Traucer is described as a troubled, debt-ridden ex-Army ranger and failed racing driver, who is approached to work for the Foundation for Law And Government (FLAG) to drive for them. Of course, he accepts.

In the original eighties show K.I.T.T. - short for 'Knight Industries Two Thousand' - was a Pontiac Trans Am, but the Trans Am line was discontinued in 2002.

Much to the horror of die-hard fans, K.I.T.T. has now been reinvented as a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR.

Executive producer Dave Bartis explained: "Quite honestly, we thought this was the coolest looking car. They don't make Trans Ams anymore. So, the Trans Am's gone."

K.I.T.T. now stands for 'Knight Industries Three Thousand'

kightriderEMPICS_468x290.jpg

Motor makeover: K.I.T.T. is now a Mustang

At a press conference this week, former All My Children star Bruening enthused: "I am like a 10 year old right now, every time I turn the car on I just start grinning ear to ear because it sounds cool, I feel like a little kid who bought his own candy store and just gets to play around in it."

Bruening has been getting tips from Hasselhoff, who is currently in negotiations to reprise his role as Knight.

Bruening, 28, said: "David said, 'The car is your best friend in the end. It's just [your character]. Alone on the road. With a car. That talks.'"

Arrested Development's Will Arnett will supply K.I.T.T.'s voice in the new movie, succeeding William Daniels.

To capitalise on the new series, Ford will release a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR next year... but buyers should not expect the car to talk.

The new Knight Rider is set for broadcast in the U.S. in February and is expected to hit British TV screens later next year.

OMG Alf! I want to marry you just for bringing him up, I'll youtube the show right now!

-Lily-   

How many sunday afternoons did we waste watching that damned car! I always thought the A team was a bit violent as a kid...but we still watched it. Old times indeed.

Urban   

You need an American car for the knight rider, and the redesign of the Mustang fits the bill perfectly.

The Koenigseggggggg looks sick, but it's just too much for Mr knight

Chimera   

GG i was a big fan of ALF yet i always had nightmares of that thing, one time as a kid i had a brutal nightmare that incl. ALF i screamed like hell and woke up it was 5/6 o'clock in the morning everybody was sleeping, i started walking down the stairs in the dark suddenly i saw a small shadow following me I THOUGHT IT WAS HIM!! i fell of the stairs and lost a teeth

the shadow was my younger sister who heard me scream looooooool

Lily it's shame that i never watched the ending of both shows because of that damn syndication system flipflopping between different seasons. :(

Sophistafuncated Do you remember how he build a Tank or a jet with a pepsi can and swiss knife?? looooool and i used to believe that shhh.. :D