Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Dubai City of fake dreams.....

I do not mean to insult nor, flatter the Arabs so please let me add some points regarding Dubai.

I visited it in the summer of 2004, and I was amazed. Not just by its artificial beauty but how much it has transformed itself into a US colony.

Every where I went I was confronted by the Americanisation of Arabia. Mcdonalds, KFC, Starbucks children in the shopping centres humming 50 cent’s latest song.

In Jumaira beach you could hear the call to prayer and see young locals getting ready to hit nightclubs. While the local women covered up, you had westerners from mother Russai swimming in their bikinis.

The place was making me dizzy, the Indian workers were treated like dirt, Muslim or Hindu they were serves. The local population had great power over their workers and one saw smiling and joyful Arab families with a sad faced Asian worker holding their children and laging behind.

The Indians worked hard in 45 degrees, planting pitiful palm trees in the highways, while the locals and tourist like me napped the mid day heat away.

There is a clear hierarchy, the Indians and Africans are at the bottom, the Arabs in the middle with the western passport holders specially the whites at the top. The Taxi drivers, shop and house keeper’s fell to the first group. The Arabs drove nice cars and the whites were their consultants and advisors who's companies took a nice slice of the overall pie.

I remember seeing all these new buildings, but most were being advertised for western tourist to purchase, one estate agent pointed out to me that David Beckham bought a holiday home in Dubai as, if I gave a damn where that old Man U fart lived.

Turn on the Radio and one find’s a number of western Radio stations playing all the latest R&B, Hip-Hop and other western sounds. The DJ’s all had distinct Arab-American accents and would play, Ahmed in Jordan’s favourite Rap song and the dedication for Sara in Beirut.

The TV was much the same, my cousin pointed out all her favourite soaps on channel Abu Dhabi, one could not help notice that all of them were Mexican or Spanish serious dubbed in Arabic. They had so many music channels, first time I ever saw Arab music that had an uncanny resemblance to Rap songs shown on MTV.

There is great change happening there, and there seems to be a race underway in building ever newer highways and hotels, but what about the people, how will this change affect their culture and religion? I even heard there were many prostitutes and brothels and some told me they knew Somali girls who where selling their bodies in Dubai.

I, left thinking that Somalia might be poor, but Dubai was nothing to envy, the only real thing in that place was the heat…

Naseemah   

SmithNwestern,

It's heartbreaking really to see such things in a Muslim dominated society.

Your post reminds me of a hadith by our Prophet, in which he said:

"You will follow the ways of those who went before you (i.e. the People of the Book), foot by foot, and inch by inch . . . even to the point where if one of them crawls into the hole of a lizard, you will follow." (Ahmed Ibn Hambal)

So true. I felt real bad because living in the UK you dont hear the Adan much. In Dubai I heard the Adan for each prayer time. It makes the mind more focused, then you see billboards and posters in the shopping mall of half naked men and women and you think am I the only one seeing this?

Emperor   

SmithNwestern, Thanks Sxb for the update

But why would anyone want to travel or live to a place like that, Sxb if all they could offer is a copy of American stuff, then why bother. I want Arab Music, Arab food, Arab houses, arab culture and arab everything. It does not amaze me at all if I ever see Mcdonalds, KFC's, big American roads, car or buildings.

No need to travel for that, I will just step out of my house and find so easy this MD's, KFC, the cars and just turn on my radio to get the latest R&B hits, these will not amaze nor amuse me at all. Seriously is that all dubai it is??

Simply disappointed, So sad.

Salma   

So SNW,

How many days you spent there??!!

Is that only what u saw there, nothing else? No Masjids, no Islamic Schools, No UAE traditional centres??!! You didnt turn to any Islamic radio stations?!! You didnt open any Islamic programs in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah,DXB Channels??! You didn't visit any arabic cultrual gatherings, communities and social places to find more about their traditions??!!! You didnt try to open the Internet and find some websites for places to visit??!!

"There is a clear hierarchy, the Indians and Africans are at the bottom" ?????

What kind of bottom levels we are talking about here?

lemme c Are we talking about : Waiters-Taxi Drivers-plumpers- cleaners and janitors- cookers- Nurses- Newspapers deliveryboys- Grocers- butchers- tailors- planters- watchmen???!!!! coz that the jobs that some ppl think only Indians & asians are doing them. And they forgot about the availability of the Indians and African businessmen & merchants.

I remembered a western guy who used to think that Arabs only traditional dance is "The Belly Dancing", he believed in that for years. Till he changed his mind when he converted to Islam. He used to go to HOTELS only and certainly all what he saw in the hotels were "Belle Dancers". Wasn't he wrong for not spending some minutes to explore the tradition of the country he was living in??!!!

There is no perfect place in this world. Look at all these Islamic Communities we have now: KSA, UAE, Turkey, Nigeria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Iran, Egypt,,,,,etc and tell me where is the best place you will find perfection. Every community has its own positive and negative sides.

Iam sorry but Dubai isnt only Russians & chinese-Hotels- DJs & discos- Shopping- naked women- rich white ppl,,,,,etc. You didn't see the other face of Dubai, you need to open your eyez again and check your directions next time.

Again, repeating my question: For how long you stayed in UAE?

NGONGE   

What was the aim of this thread, saaxib? What did you hope to achieve by writing such a bitter thread? Is there a point that you forgot to include here or one that we’ve missed as we read your piece? Are you talking out of anger? Why? Is your aim to belittle? To what end? Were you bored? Did you really expect others to refute YOUR opinions?

I’ll leave your rant aside for a minute, for it’s YOUR opinion and as most Somalis are always keen to remind us, EVERYONE is entitled to his/her opinion! However, this Somali trend of putting everyone else down is amusing. Talk about Ethiopians and you’ll find many Somalis jumping up and down with bitter accusations and snide remarks (it’s usually not even about disputed territory and historical conflicts, it just IS). Talk about Indians and our proud Somalis will brush them aside with another spiteful remark! Are there any people in this world deserving our good words (other than long dead ones)?

Why do we do this? Is it some sort of inferiority complex? Does it help to compensate for our shortcomings? Or, maybe it’s just our way of paying a compliment (in the usual Somali round about way).

Fix up, look sharp. Blud!

Som@li   

NGONGE,have u ever reread ur articles? :D take it easy man, SmithNwestern was merely stating of wat he saw and his experience, it wasn't wat he had in mind and expecting.

i myself lived 10 years in Dubai and every1 knows that da dirty western culture is eroding fast da traditional culture, even the locals will admit that to u. Yes, there are many mosques,and many good islamic centres,but it is overwelmed by other activities.

"There is a clear hierarchy, the Indians and Africans are at the bottom"

Dubai is land of opportunity and if u have the knowledge, u can make something of urself,i haven't seen any hierarchy for expatriates other than those between the locals.

Emperor   

NGO

EVERYONE is entitled to his/her opinion

True said, so stop asking many q's pal, just bring on your opinion if you aim to write. Smith just stated his, what is yours. Remember it is only a discussion forum and its always words on screen, so whats all with this q's

Why do we do this?

Is it some sort of inferiority complex?

Take it easy pal

Gday

Jumatatu   

Qorshel sxb dar Alla ku deg..! Q's come after a statement is made in forum inorder to determine why you came to a such a conclussion. And it is a practically normal in any forum, unless you are suggesting we should accept at face value whatever is stated and probably in your case applaud it... :D

Emperor   

Juma,

Your are very welcome bro, laakiin amaa adiga lee ibursanoosaa.

As for the topic.

Juma:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Why do we do this? Is it some sort of inferiority complex?

36_2_34.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this says all about you sxb,

isku *** jeclidaa sxb

:D:D:D

““Is that only what u saw there, nothing else? No Masjids, no Islamic Schools, No UAE traditional centres??!! You didnt turn to any Islamic radio stations?!! You didnt open any Islamic programs in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah,DXB Channels??!

“

I spent three weeks there. Yes there were many Mosques and like I said hearing the Adan clearly every prayer time was refreshing. However it was a disappointment to find Zarah’s, M&S and Starbucks in every shopping centre. The place could be mistaken for Oxford Street in central London.

NGOON. What are you on about? As for inferiority complex brother I am a proud Somali descendent of warrior poets and I hold a British passport, you know how that goes down in Dubai. :D

Yes my experience was bitter. How can the Arabs be so blind? While bombs rain in Falujah, they are empowering Uncle Sam by buying his coffee, driving his cars, employing his architects and wearing his denim jeans.

The Japanese take western products and make it their own, thus without natural resources they can compete on a level with the west. The Arabs on the other hand never lose an opportunity to lose an opportunity.

As for putting everyone else down, I never insulted anyone it was just what I observed. Dubai has outsourced everything to outsiders thus being forever dependent on them. Is this healthy for their long term progress? Can the UAE as a whole afford to give nationality to the Indians, and if not can it survive without them, or keep them in limbo forever?

Now how many local Architects designed these beautiful buildings, how many local engineers work on them? :D

Let me ask you a question how many Arab brands are sold in the west and Shisha is not one?

:D

Dubai, Dubai big city of dreams but everything in Dubai aint always what it seems...

OG_Girl   

Here we go again :rolleyes:

I don't know why or what agenda you planning on playing here Mr Smith. I bet you enjoy living in a society where you can benefit from that "dirty western culture".Besides western culture isn't all dirty as you stated. There is some thing called a system where people are allowed to better themselves by making a profits,business..etc.

There is more than Mcdolands, KFC, night clubs in Dubai or in UAE in general. In Arab countries there is bad and good , Arabs not meant to be all good and angles..

We pick and choose what suitable to us dear, something I guess you don't understand.

Salam

NGONGE   

The other two people that replied to my comments didn’t add anything new and therefore their comments are irrelevant, requiring no replies.

NGOON. What are you on about? As for inferiority complex brother I am a proud Somali descendent of warrior poets and I hold a British passport, you know how that goes down in Dubai.

I hint at an inferiority complex and you wave your passport at me? :D

Well, let us go to the beginning of this new onslaught on Dubai and everything “Oil†related. There have been a few threads on this site talking about the same subject. There have been many spiteful remarks made about the Arabs. This, as you and I know, is not a passing trend. This is a favourite Somali pastime. One needs only mention Arabs and you’ll all come out from under your rocks to belittle them and furnish us with your important opinions. Like I already said in my earlier post, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. There really is nothing to stop ANYONE from revealing whatever thought passes through their mind. However, some ill thought opinions carry the risk of being cut down and ridiculed!

Fortunately, in the case of this thread, I managed to suppress my natural tendencies. I was more interested in your thought process, saaxib. You’ve been to Dubai in the summer; you’ve had at least four months to mull over the trip and reflect on all that you’ve seen! Howe then could you come up with such shabby and feeble opinions?

Again, I asked the questions to see how you’ve reached these conclusions of yours (though there isn’t much to speak of there). I mention the inferiority complex (and you’re free to dispute it here) because your point seems to be that these Arabs should be doing more (recognise these words from other threads?). Why should they be doing more, to whose benefit?

Don’t get worked up when I ask such questions, my total loss at deciphering the reasons for your protestations lead me to think that you hold these Arabs in highest esteem. In fact, your reference to Iraq (and here “your†is aimed at the collective and not you alone), the Asian victims and many other Islamic disasters and conflicts, imply that these Arabs ARE the leaders of the Muslim world and you’re all disappointed at their indifference and extravagance! In addition, all these threads revolve around the issue of wealth, Arab wealth and how it’s being squandered! Is this out of bitterness and envy or have we, the Somalis, been appointed the moral guardians of the Gulf States?

As I said, I’m at a total loss here, if the concern is an Islamic one, why aren’t there loud cries about Egypt’s relationship with Israel? Why not Turkey? Why not Pakistan? (All these countries have similar malls and department stores to the ones found in Dubai, or LA by the way). Why are the Gulf States always singled out for the snidest attacks?

Could it be an inferiority complex? If not, what then?

nafta   

^^^

post-2-1083867219.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself! This type of topic has been milked out and all this HooHah (again) is really not necessary.

I don't think that we as Somalis can say much about other countries or how they are "losing" their diin, while we sit back drinking our cup of shaah, knowing what happens on a daily basis back in our Motherland. In fact that's hypocritical in a sense don't you think?

Somali people can only judge other nations with regards to their wealth and their practicing of the diin ONLY when they get up their backsides and actually try and achieve AT LEAST what THEY have done for their countries. Before that happens, personally I don't think that these sort of discussions shouldn't even be brought up.