Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Girls, have you heard of Sunlighting?

Is there a woman out there who doesn't have a fully-fledged fantasy of what they'd do for a living in a parallel life? Handbag designer? Perfumier? Pilates teacher? The kind of job that allows you to work on your own terms and fulfil your creative side. Ah, but then there's the small matter of the mortgage.

The safe option would be to stick with a job that pays the bills, and, indeed, many of us do. But now, more women are finding that work doesn't have to mean committing to just one path. Say hello to what career experts are calling 'sunlighting' - the legal cousin to moonlighting. It means cutting down the hours you put into your main job, so you can do a second, more interesting one.

'Sunlighting is a different form of work-life balance and a new way of thinking about flexible working,' explains Dr Christina Evans of the University of Roehampton. 'It's not just about balancing work and family life, it's about getting a balance in terms of different work strands.'

It's a trend that's transforming the working culture of Britain. Figures from the Office of National Statistics show that between 1984 and 2001 there was a 68 per cent increase in the number of people holding down second jobs. And the research showed these people were more likely to be women. While some of these figures account for women doing two jobs to make ends meet, there's also a growing number of professional women actively seeking out a second career even if it sometimes means a cut in salary.

Why are we sunlighting? Occupational psychologist Dr Sandi Mann says it's a work pattern that suits women because of our differing work expectations. 'Women tend not to define themselves through work as much as men do. We're also better at multi-tasking, so can switch from role to role more easily.'

Working part-time after a baby is often the catalyst. 'Once you've tasted that freedom of working part-time or from home, it's hard to give up,' she explains. 'So when the children are older and women can return to their careers full-time, many don't. They start another, more fulfilling job instead, as well as their part-time work.'

Source

Is this the way ahead ladies?

What do you mean by getting a second job? I can hardly keep up with this one as it is. :mad:

Interesting concept though..'sunlighting'. Doing something you love half the time. Not bad. But it begs the question..how easy is it to find a job you love? (And also, who would pay me to sleep? Coz that would be the best job for me).

*Puts thinking cap on*

Is that what they're calling it? Fab idea, I think it's the only way to go for me. I'm trying to find work that pays me as much as possible without being too concerned about its future prospects right now. I'm going to do a journalism course in the near future, inshallah. When I have the mechanics of it down, I'll be aiming to do some freelance writing for mags and websites. In the meantime, I'll be starting a blog(to showcase my writing) but haven't decided on its topic yet.

Having said that it is hard to get off the career path that I'm already on.. Even had an interview this week, the pay's eek but the workplace looked funky and relaxed. Still whatever happens Mon-Fri, I'm determined on seeing through with the course, inshallah.

It takes dedication to be multi-occupied but personally I get bored if I'm not up to more than work. If u have a passion about something, just do it.

Good topic.

OG Moti   

Girls should stay home and clean the house, cook, and wash the cloths and dishes .. that is my believe, second job and waan baxayaa joojiya and sit in the house.. balaayo

PEace

Nazra   

The only Second job i will take on is being a housewife. That will be something i will enjoy, while trying to juggle it with my professional career.

That's the only sunlighting i'll be doing :D

Bess.   

Second jobs.....PLZ:rolleyes:...am still escaping the 1st one...here is to graduate. School, scholarships and grants....I LUV BILL GATES...U HAVE MADE LIFE EASY FOR ME.... :D

Some of you have misunderstood the concept - “It means cutting down the hours you put into your main job, so you can do a second, more interesting oneâ€. Not essentially getting a second job (oh GOD NO!) on top of the 1st. A lot of us get stuck in a rut sometimes with a job that provides no prospect of self-improvement or motivation but pays the bills adequately. Sunlighting is about bringing that much needed balance and variety to your work-life. Its also a way to pursue your personal aspirations and learn the things you’ve always wanted. To me…. Its perfect…. I don’t really like full-time work where you end up doing the same job year after year. I prefer to change roles and jobs and constantly learn new things. As long as I can make enough to keep me well, I intend to spend the rest of my time being an entrepreneur, a freelance person, learning and enjoying life with my loved ones.

The option of staying home and being a housewife isn’t really a choice for a lot of people. Work isn’t an option. Some people have to do it.

i have heard of moonlighting but never of sunlighting besides the girls place is in the home at the old man in the cambodian jungle just confirmed.stay home change diapers,clean,cook,and look pretty for your man :D:D

OG Moti   

I wonder sometimes why girls like to run after cloud of smoke... career, cut down working hours? things that doesnt make sense.. you are just wasting time and efford not to mention money of others, for the following reasons

1. girls are not cut for office work, they can't do brain requiring activities, girls are good for physical activities..

2. you will end up a housewives anyway, so why bother, just relax till a man comes into ur life and give u home to practice your skills..."house keeping"

3. girls can take the pressure of career..

if you say western women did it, i would say tell me one single western women who is happy, no husband no children, no house, even if they have children they cant function as mothers.. or wives in that matter...

I say drop these unrealistic dreams and go back to kitchen talk, like the man said, the best thing to do is what you are good at, and women are good at the following:

1. cooking

2. cleaning

3. crying

4. hopefully making her husband happy and children healthy...

and if there is a female who cant do that, than she aint a female anymore, and life has ended for her....

PEace

be a good girl seven of nine.See what happens when you go to the office? you learn swear words.No good :D .How good is your cooking?i am sure you know your husband will not be a happy bunny unless you can cook well.Your marketability will prove to be dificult my dear