Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

'Not housekeepers any more': Somali women of the diaspora

NASSIR   

The gender problem is universal and differences in communication style caused by entrenched social norms is the main culprit. Researchers have recently found out a patterned style of communication. Whereas women relate to similarities, emotional attachment and match experiences, men compete for status and dominance, and this is where the friction starts. Misunderstanding!

The article has some good points.

Malika   

^Walle there is some hint's of truth in there somewhere..The perception of Somali men by Somali women seems to be very negative of late.

Actually,waxaa nagaa damaan wayee is 'Somali men this,Somali women this,Somali children this..anagii baa dulka isla dacnee..No self pride,no sense of contentment with ourselves me think..

ps.Those interviewed women could easily be in these forums,how many of time have we bashed 'Somali men'..Illahi noo daa,they are all we know.. :Dicon_razz.gif

Juxa   

we bash when bashing is well deserved abaayo. i never seen any of us sol ladies random bashing or being disrespectful to our men.

meeshi lack kajirto must be mentioned

Oz   

Meeshan waa yahan wexey noqotee expilicit. Bila caleyk Waxaan yaa naga qabtaa!

I prefer to use the term "homemaker".

so,The title of the article should have been "Not homemakers anymore:Somali women of the diaspora".

interesting..

Blessed   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

looooooooool@sitting on us!

Yaa heli karaba wax kugu sit gareeya!!
:D:D

One tunnel vision... LOL.

Maxaatiri

Also, marriage is not the be all and end all. If you enjoy being single parents so much, go and adopt a child and raise that child alone, do not populate this earth with more unwanted children.

Sorry love, but your logic is flawed. Failed marriage doesn't mean one loves their children less or that the child is unwanted. Most single parents I know say that's the only positive thing they got from the marriage. I also highly doubt anyone would swap a good marriage for single parenthood.

My logic is fine sweetheart, I intended for there to be a hint of sarcasm in my post. Who 'enjoys' single parenthood?

The child is usually more or less abandoned by one parent, usually the father. That is where the 'unwanted' part comes in.

A 'good marriage' is exactly what people (like the man in the article) do not want. If they wanted a good marriage, they would take their time choosing a partner, and then take the effort maintaining that marriage. They do not, they marry and divorce like its nothing. So if you are not preparing for marriage properly, and from what I gather from some people, are taking it so lightly that these mariages are doomed to fail...they might as well adopt a child or two and save us all the blah blah blah.

Khayr   

how many of time have we bashed 'Somali men'..

Malaika, ruun baa sheegtay walaal.

Somali men get bashed like bashing is an all year season (no spring, summer of rall) just a cold winter. redface.gif

Originally posted by Maaddeey:

^Xaggeed ka keentay Nabigaa (CSW) dhiig-caado dhaqi jiray?

I remember reading that in a hadith a couple of years back, one of the Mothers of the Believers stained the sheets and when she became embarrassed about it, he washed it to show that there was nothing unclean about touching it. Have I misrepresented that? If so, please correct me and thanks for highlighting it if thats the case.