Sign in to follow this  
Scientist

1st OF JULY.... A DARK DAY IN OUR HISTORY????

1st of July 1960, The day The Republic of Somalia was born, The day our brothers from the north came to us and proposed to unit with us. The day the blue flag with the white star was born, The day Somalia started to be ruled by Somalis, No more white man, no more slavery, no more colonisation, no more impirials in our soil.

But this is also the day our moral decline started, an ugly form of tribelism was born, a power strugle and power hunger,Agressive form of Nepotism, favouritism, Cousinism, Corruption, Was also born that day, It was a timed bomb, it was ticking for 30 years,5 morths and 25 days Until ...BOOM.... it EXPLODED in Our faces in December 1990.

So 1st of July 1960 is it a day to celeprate and dance, or is it a dark day in our history which we should mourn and feel regret.????

Pucca   

^ How about making it a day where you can reflect on the somalia that was and pray and hope for a better somalia No need to cry and mourn bout the past

shyhem   

I don' know what to say about somalia.Most of us here are more concerned about Iraq and Palestine than Somalia.

It looks like the world doesn't care about Somalia and it looks like somalis too are busy watching cnn and Aljazeera instead of taking arms and taking control of their lifes from the primitive savagers who come to define somalia nowadays.I really don't understand how 10 million pple can be wrong and few warlords can be right.

In conclusion, i say whether u celebrate 1st of july or not it doesn't really matter.What's important is the folks in somalia should stand together against the forces of evil which is the warlords and whoever supports them.

Niciima   

Somerican...ur name I guess says it all. But let me tell you something you cant be both Mali and American you gotta choose. Plus am sorry to say this but what your saying makes no sense at all. At the beginning your saying Who cares about the problem facing our beloved country, next you say that others malis do not care about their motherland and then you finish off saying that Somalis in Somalia need to do something about the futures and the future of our country.

What YOU should have said...that YOU dont care about Somalia b/c YOUR too busy trying to worry about other problems (such as Palestine and Iraq) like YOU mentioned. Also you should have added that YOU dont want to do anything about helping our country become the great country that it once was because YOU too busy trying to be something YOUR not.

ANYWAYS plz ppl dont post for all Somalis just say what you feel like saying and do not feel like you have to speak for the others aight specially to Somarican. Tnx

july 1st has nothing to do with what happened almost 10yrs later!

lets faced it we screwed it up! cuz after all, we are human! keep hope alive and think +ve!! nobody knows whats gonna happen tomorrow!

do u?

lol   

Ali Baba:

I think you have the Somali history all screwed up. The tribal system has always been part of Somalinimo. Being a Somali one had to belong to a tribe, and that was his or her identity and still is. The Independence brought freedom that we need to rejoice. Nonetheless, it also gave power to the wrong kind of a man. He was good for the country till up in late 70s and early 80s. That is when he started his bullshit of " Qabiil hala duugo" knowing that it will raise it up.

What has us all screwed is the fact that we are trying to change what has been in existence since the beginning of time. Our Allah SWT says it in his Quran that He has made us into tribes so that we know each other. However like everything else it can be used as a weapon of discrimination, just like the Somalis are doing. And believe me we are no different than the rest of the countries in the world where there is racism. This great America u see had civil war, the only reason it didn't get supper destructive is because all those belonging to it the so called America were criminals and poor people England filtered off its grounds, and they knew each one stood for himself. Hence the carelessness.

Anyways, I would rather you mark this blessful day as a blessing and not label it as being a dark day. Its not. The War in Somalia is a curse but 1st July has nothing to do with it. You should infact appreciate those heros who have suffered to achieve wat u now call home.

Somerican:

You are entitled to your own opinion but don't talk for everyone. like my sister here said, talk about how you feel not how others feel.

FYI I am Somali and I don't watch CNN or Al Jazeera... I listen to Somali BBC. It tells me enough about the world as well as my country in my beautiful mother tongue, maybe you should try it too... kind of reminds u that u have identity or u like the label " Black American"?

Rudy: You should be the first to think positive. Coz Salada sida ay u kala horeyso ayaa loo kala tukadaa. So start the optimism with you, then talk to others ;)

shyhem   

Niicima

Somerican...ur name I guess says it all

What do u mean by all,......all consist of what ?Actually this ain't my name,it's my nickname and it may or may not stand for what it means,but that has nothing to do with u'r interpretion

But let me tell you something you cant be both Mali and American you gotta choose. Plus am sorry to say this but what your saying makes no sense at all.

Honey i agree with you on this one,i can't a Mali and an American for i have never been to Mali or anywhere with such remote name.However i'am a Somali and an American.I don't have to choose one and i don't necessarily need to be loyal Somalia in order to be a proud somali. Furthermore,where is it written that i should make sense to you and who cares whether i made sense to you or not.

At the beginning your saying Who cares about the problem facing our beloved country, next you say that others malis do not care about their motherland and then you finish off saying that Somalis in Somalia need to do something about the futures and the future of our country.

And your point is?

What YOU should have said...that YOU dont care about Somalia b/c YOUR too busy trying to worry about other problems (such as Palestine and Iraq) like YOU mentioned.

I can't remember saying i don't care about Somalia and that i'm busy worried about palestine and Iraq.I do know for sure that i don't care about Iraq and Palestine.As for Somalia,I STILL BELIEVE FOLKS IN SOMALIA SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THEIR BUSINESS.I wish them the best and hopefully they get their acts together.

Also you should have added that YOU dont want to do anything about helping our country become the great country that it once was because YOU too busy trying to be something YOUR not.

I never tried to be something i'm not and i can't help but wonder where you got this aasumption from. what do u expected me to do for Somalia,roll on the floor and cry till the warlords stop the bloodshed.

ANYWAYS plz ppl dont post for all Somalis just say what you feel like saying and do not feel like you have to speak for the others aight specially to Somarican

I didn't not speak for other Somalis and "we" part u have issues with was refering to me,myself and i.

Remember i didn't start the civil war in Somalia.All i did on this thread was use my POint of personal privillege to express my discomfort with the way things are in Somalia.

Anyway,thanks for the lecture,and i must admit it was alittle bit boring and same as usual.

Miskin   

1st July is a day to remember for us Somalis, it was a day where the dreams of our forefathers came true, it was a day where Somalia became an independant nation (for the somalis by the somalis). It is really a day to cherish and remember what the real brave Somali men and women have achieved.

As for what has happened afterwards, i dont really see the relationship

Miskin

I don't really see the relationship

The relationship is this is the day our lives should be trasformed, but instead what happened is it is gone wroste and people gone backward instead of farward, at least there was security when there was colonisation, at least people were not daying of hunger and deseases, WHAT IS THE POINT OF INDEPENDENCY IF IT DOES NOT CHANGE PEOPLE'S LIFE FOR BETTER, SCREW IT, BRING THE ITALIANS AND THE BRITISH BACK, LOOK AT SOMALIS IN ******IA AND NFD OF KENYA, THEY LIVE UNDER COLONISATION BUT THEY AT LEAST LIVE PEACEFUL LIFE AND THE SO CALLED INDEPENDANT SOMALIS FLED TO THEM AND LIVE UNDER THEIR MERCY, SO TELL ME WHAT IS THE POINT OF INDEPENDENCY. I SAY NON AT ALL.

Niciima   

SOMARICAN>.....

UR just another qaxooti with the wrong perceptions and understandings on who you are and where you came from. Also not to mention who has lots of free time to write up bunch of crap that just repeats itself and might I say again does not make one sense at all.

Hey fiirii I dont have time for your sillyness so I am gonna stop right here. PEACE TO ALL.

Originally posted by Ali_BaBa:

1st of July 1960, The day The Republic of Somalia was born, The day our brothers from the north came to us and proposed to unit with us. The day the blue flag with the white star was born, The day Somalia started to be ruled by Somalis, No more white man, no more slavery, no more colonisation, no more impirials in our soil.

But this is also the day our moral decline started, an ugly form of tribelism was born, a power strugle and power hunger,Agressive form of Nepotism, favouritism, Cousinism, Corruption, Was also born that day, It was a timed bomb, it was ticking for 30 years,5 morths and 25 days Until ...BOOM.... it EXPLODED in Our faces in December 1990.

So 1st of July 1960 is it a day to celeprate and dance, or is it a dark day in our history which we should mourn and feel regret.????

Yes indeed it was a sad day..... for residents of European and N. American countries because on that day our ****** govenrments opened the doors to REfugees without consulting with the people in the form of a referendun as to whether we wanted refugees or africans or even worse Muzzies. Now our tax mony is going to welfare receiving refugees who want us to make changes to accomodate THEM.