Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Fasting exemption for football team kicks off debate in Egypt

Sophist   

This is a joke, no? It seems these "Shekhs" have very little understanding of Maqaasidu Shareeca or usuul Fiqh.

Ngone, the two issues are different, I mean the Saudi and the Egyptian. Why? Because the only time you are permitted to forgo an obligatory deed is when there is a Daruura- Laa darara walaa diraara! Now, playing a footie is not daruura, the player can decide not to play the game and fast whereas the Saudi residents if they fear that their life will be in danger they can forgo the fast- remember the hadiith that permits those who are sick not to fast?

Having said that, you could argue , why not move then to an area where there is electricity? I guess, you would be right as the Qaacida says "Maa laa yutimu waajibu ilaa bihi fahuwa waajib". But then it will depend whether they have the means to move to another city where they could perform the deed.

Walahu Aclam.

S.

Poor Egyptians. They could fast and play for the greater glory. Your professional job shouldn't come against your faith.

They should take example as Frederic Kanoute, Karim Benzema, Lassana Diarra, Mahamadou Diarra, Kolo Toure, Yaya Toure, Hatem Ben Arfa, Frank Ribery and Bacary Sagna. All these players play while practicing fasting the Holy Ramadan and as we all know, all of them are stunners. Great stunners, indeed.

^How do you know they fast? I know some of them are said to be practicing muslims, but you never know, and I am not negating your point, though.

If we listen and heed to everything that any Mufti or non - Mufti for this matter says, we will be confused. It is for this that we muslims should LEARN our deen so that we suffice ourselves of the basics of Islam, you know. So that we don't run off to the nearest Mufti everytime we're faced with a dilemma.

I would have thought that If the Egyptian team would go into the match fasting, they would perform much better, I think. Everytime one's performing 'ibaada for Allah's sake, Allah will be by his side. Remember, Muhammad (SCW) use to fast for two days consecutively, and prohibited the Ummah from doing so, because he said, 'I am being fed by Allah'. I'm not saying surely they'd been fed by Allah, by you never know. Allah might have given them that extra oomph they require to win the game.

Mufti isku sheegani maanay Alle ka baqayn, horta?

Originally posted by Dhagax-Tuur:

^How do you know they fast? I know some of them are said to be practicing muslims, but you never know, and I am not negating your point, though.

If we listen and heed to everything that any Mufti or non - Mufti for this matter says, we will be confused. It is for this that we muslims should LEARN our deen so that we suffice ourselves of the basics of Islam, you know. So that we don't run off to the nearest Mufti everytime we're faced with a dilemma.

I would have thought that If the Egyptian team would go into the match fasting, they would perform much better, I think. Everytime one's performing 'ibaada for Allah's sake, Allah will be by his side. Remember, Muhammad (SCW) use to fast for two days consecutively, and prohibited the Ummah from doing so, because he said, 'I am being fed by Allah'. I'm not saying surely they'd been fed by Allah, by you never know. Allah might have given them that extra oomph they require to win the game.

Mufti isku sheegani maanay Alle ka baqayn, horta?

Most of the players he quoted have already mentioned they will fast, and their have been articles regarding their intentions to do so. There's been also articles regarding their coaches reactions to their decisions, as well as their training regiments.

NGONGE   

Sophist,

This is Saudi Arabia. Surely the matter should be clearer! I mean, for hundreds of years the people that lived in that part of the world had to fast without the luxury of electricity and air conditioning! Why complain now?

In fact, it could be argued that the Egyptian case is more accurate. They are playing away from home and the Mufti that issued that fatwa might have taken the 'travel' aspect into consideration when issuing that fatwa.

Dhagax-Tuur,

A few years back, when the Egyptian team was taking part in an African Nations Cup in some African country (that I can't recall right now), they did it during ramadan and the entire team were fasting and playing. In fact, even Amer Zaki (a Christian) was fasting!

Still (and this is for ALL who are reading this thread), when a sheikh issues a fatwa he does so to the best of his ability and his aim (hopefully) is to make life easier for those that request clarifications on certain issues.

We are Sunni MUSLIM and we do not believe in the infallibilityof our scholars! Marka, if you come across a fatwa that you believe is wrong, do not badmouth the scholar that issued it but rather praise him for doing his best (he is human after all). In addition, a fatwa after all is nothing but a considered opinion. So, by all means chuckle at some of the absurd fatwas you come across but don't let it go any further than that. smile.gif

(Argh! Must be all the fasting that got me this serious).

NGONGE, bro, I am not having a go at the Mufti, if my writing has come across as such, I take it back, but the point that I was trying to make was that I would rather that the Mufti err on the side of caution (Shaafi'i sort of way) than make it easier for us to the point of dilluting the deen. Don't get me wrong, I am not in a position to criticise a Mufti at all. But like the other Sheikh in the article said, Rasuulu-Laah laid down the conditions with which one can forgo from fasting clearly, and this does go beyond that. Correct me If I am wrong. Deen is 'ibaada, sometimes it is not suppose to be easy, but not detrimental to your health or wellbeing either. Allah is Rahman.

Aniga iyo chuckling at fatwas maxaa iskaga kaaya dan ah!

NGONGE   

^^ That was a general comment, saaxib. The part with your name was about the fasting. I read about it when it happend a few years back and was just informing you that (it is said) all the players do fast during ramadan. smile.gif

The good thing about such fatwas is that there are always many more sheikhs who counter it and, almost always, the opinion of the 'jamaca' ends up making more sense.

p.s.

Chuckling is good. It removes any hard feelings or bad thoughts that may (accidently) cross your mind about a fatwa or sheikh.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Sophist,

This is Saudi Arabia. Surely the matter should be clearer! I mean, for hundreds of years the people that lived in that part of the world had to fast without the luxury of electricity and air conditioning! Why complain now?

In fact, it could be argued that the Egyptian case is more accurate. They are playing
away from home and the Mufti that issued that fatwa might have taken the 'travel' aspect into consideration when issuing that fatwa.

Dhagax-Tuur

A few years back, when the Egyptian team was taking part in an African Nations Cup in some African country (that I can't recall right now), they did it during ramadan and the entire team were fasting and playing. In fact, even Amer Zaki (a Christian) was fasting!

Still (and this is for ALL who are reading this thread), when a sheikh issues a fatwa he does so to the best of his ability and his aim (hopefully) is to make life easier for those that request clarifications on certain issues.

We are
Sunni MUSLIM
and we do not believe in the
infallibility
of our scholars! Marka, if you come across a fatwa that you believe is wrong, do not badmouth the scholar that issued it but rather praise him for doing his best (he is human after all). In addition, a fatwa after all is nothing but a
considered opinion
. So, by all means chuckle at some of the absurd fatwas you come across but don't let it go any further than that.
smile.gif

(Argh! Must be all the fasting that got me this serious).

Agree with the general gist of the post, but where did you get Amr Zaki being Christian from??? He's definitely Muslim, just listening to any of his interviews in Arabic would confirm the fact. You might be confusing him with another player, not sure whom though.

It is Egypt guys .... you can find the strangest Fatwa there.

I remember once an Egyptian minister called the Aathaan should be harmonized. He said some them have ugly voices and we need to select the sexiest voice, record it then turn it on where it is the Athaan time in all the Mosques ,,, :D

NGONGE   

The good news is that he Egypitan team won their game despite not having at least five of their main players in the team. Ahmed Hassan scored the winning goal and declared it only happend because he was fasting. :D

(It is reported that only four players did fast).

Abtigiis   

In the end, Ahmed Hassen's goal will not be that important, as it is Algeria who will go the World Cup. Under veteran coach Rabah Sadane, the Desert Warriors are now in pole Position, and provided they beat minnows Rwanda at home, will only need to avoid defeat by more than 2 goals in their last encounter with the Pharoas in Cairo. That is of course if Egypt can win in Zambia, which is not a formality.

N.O.R.F   

^Does this look like a WC2010 thread to you saxib. Save your predictions (you are banned from making them remember)

Originally posted by NGONGE:

The good news is that he Egypitan team won their game despite not having at least five of their main players in the team. Ahmed Hassan scored the winning goal and declared it only happend because he was fasting
:D

:D

Did I tell ou yI played on the weekend? It was good.