Sign in to follow this  
Animal Farm

PACE on Somaliland

Maf Kees   

It was emailed to me by the editor.

I don't know wether it was positive or negative towards Somaliland, but certainly not negative. All I know and many people agree with me that this issue was the worst ever published by Pace Magazine. Pace can do better than this. It was interesting and insightful to see and read about Somaliland, but come on now. What's up with the boring articles about land issues, government television or port mismanagement. Where are the (life)stories, poems, jokes and interviews that we used to read? Pace's charm is totally absent in this issue. Especially compared to the 9th issue that was dedicated to the Tsunami. That one was a lot better and memorable. So many people (girls) fell in love with the cover image of the 9th.

The question you asked also reflects that Pace is on the wrong track. There shouldn't even be a discussion wether or not Somaliland is portrayed negatively or positively in this mag. This issue was dedicated to Somaliland: Somali youth (and some not so youthful) from that area presented Somaliland to us and what to think of it after that is up to the readers.

Pace has a promising future, so let it get rid of the politics and focus on more social/cultural topics. We don't even care about politics. Pace has to stick with what it started out in 2003 which was to inform young Somalis about their culture, and get them interested in what goes on within the Somali community in the Diaspora. I for one look forward to read Pace's next issue in the summer.

N.O.R.F   

Kudos to Pace magazine for holding a neutral position on the issues involving Somaliland. A very enjoyable read covering the visit home, the Govnt TV station, the false notion of nation-hood (which was started by Somaliland, an objective look at the 'real' reasons why TFG Prime Minister Geedi stated a Somaliland recognition can be acceptable, the 'unity' campainers and their shortcomings,,,, bravo i say

take this to the politics and lets discuss

Farah Blue you are right, politics can be boring, but we figured we wanted to connect people to those back home, we changed routes in the past couple of issues to expand peoples perception and knowledge in those areas.

We are going back to our roots, and we have received many comments, the thing is, Somalis aren’t happy at any given moment about anything, but I understand where you’re coming from ---- and you opinion is well received and much appreciated for your honesty.

Northerner I’m glad you liked the issue, we worked damn hard on it, we tried to stay objective, while giving people their say – many of our contributors were neutral, they weren’t blinded by overt nationalism, instead they reported what they saw, and took pictures of it as well.

I liked this issue. It didnt seem so somali-canada-youth-centric and reached out to a wider audience than before.

Thumps up AF and the whole gang.

Animal Farm was this about Somaliland or Hargeisa? icon_razz.gif

Nicely put together though. I liked the choice of articles published there. *Thumbs up*

LOL @ the Brandning of Qat :D

We used to put up pdf versions before, there still some, hopefully we might upload pdf's again, they chewed bandwidth, people would always download them again and again ---- but we are working on bring them back.

Secondly, the issue was on Somaliland, although we may have neglected certain areas and focused heavily on urban centers.