Sign in to follow this  
SkyWalker

Admin: I AM NOT NOMAD

Deeq A.   

Maroodi Jeex: A Somaliland Alternative Journal

ISSN 1097-3850.Issue number 10 (Fall 1998)

MEMOIRS: THE UPROOTED NOMAD OF THE EARTH

By Abdilahi Haji Mohamed*

Ottawa, Canada

[*] "I was a typical Somali nomad who modestly in winter time when there was no rain and arrogantly in spring time when there was rain perceived himself - of course along with our beloved camels - as a species part of nature, in harmony with nature, but never a master of nature"

[*] "Life has its ups and downs"

[*] "The very nature of a nomad is mobility with survival skills but the survival skills one needs in the jungle world of New York are a lot different than those for the jungles of Africa"

Our definition of a nomad ain't no different from that mentioned by the author. Play with your definition of a nomad, but we all(atleast most of us) must agree on couple of things

Mobility (act of moving around).

Survival skills.

Love for our beloved camels (probably true for majority of Somalis if not all)

Arrogant (Think positive here!!! We are Somalis)

Nomad is a Somalia Online term used for the Somali internet users who belong to this site. Soon, all Somali internet user will simply be called a "nomads" Insha Allah. It is an idea that we are trying to popularize and put into the upcomming Somali computer textbooks. The "internet citizens" of many nations have nicknames so why not give the Somali net users a common nickname.

This term also unifies the Somali people whether they are from NFD, the OGADEN, Djibouti, Somaliland, Somalia or from any other nation.

What does it take to have the nomad title here? Well, when you reach a stage "in your life" where you have posted enough, we will recognize you a nomad. smile.gif

As for your title being changed for you, Sorry bro. We can't do that. That is just the way things are here.

guys I raised little issue, but I wasn’t expecting the issue to be me, but I thank your criticism, I ask you to think one thing are you nomad and if you are what makes you nomad? and don’t say is about your ancestors, cause they have nothing to do what your are or what you become today. if you are doctor is that means your ancestors were doctors, than why r u nomad?

Admin: thx for your respond, “Arrogant (Think positive here!!! We are Somalis)” is the only thing I agree after all I don’t fit the rest.

“As for your title being changed for you, Sorry bro. We can't do that. That is just the way things are here”. Is what answers my Q. that’s all thak you,

ps.

Tagane.....Dude No one here is nomad per se.....This is merely a tribute to our past , culture and ancestors. We can safely say, everyone in here is the descendent of reer guuraa.

Can't i see how could one be insulted by honoring his/her past.

Gediid   

Interesting indeed,

Tagane

I am a second generation reer magal before that I hail from a long line of proud nomads who had tradition,respect and utmost pride unlike the Somalis of today who possess none of the virtues of a nomad.I think this word exemplifies what Somalis were and aren't today.Markaas Tagaanow not only you but all of us in here aren't worthy of the title nomad but at least its the thought that counts.

tagane....ok, maybe not everyone here is a reer guuraa, but iam pretty certain majority of us here are descendents of Somali Pastoralists aka nomads.

Gedid.....True , people of the past stood for something , the so called reer magaal that replaced them stands for nothing.

Ladiif   

Hey fellas, excuse Taagane, he been smoking some herbs lately. Taagane,I tell you stop geedahaas son!!! Bear with us here and be gentle on him pls!!

Adios!!!