Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Learn 2 Knit

Curly   

I'm determined to knit something of use, I taught myself to knit and a little crochet during the last Christmas holidays. I've managed to master two stitch types which is such an amazing achievement for me but I'm frustrated about not being able to make anything useful, other than a few ipod/phone covers which everyone loved.

So I've got some more supplies and I've decided to make a hat of some sort and to keep a blog of it on SOL as motivation. I'm determined to take pictures of my project in progress and hopefully the final product.

Anyone else who'd like to follow is welcomed to join in! Here is a link to get you started if you're a beginner like me.

Learn 2 Knit

The pattern I will be attempting to follow is...

3180370452_aff015b460_m.jpg

Slouchy Hat

Curly   

I got home and started knitting something... what? I'm not entirely sure, so that wasn't a good start! After one attempt to use those damn circular needles I got in a muddle and gave up. But never fear I’ve managed to get on Youtube which is filled an infinite number of wondrous ‘How 2’ tutorials has spurred me on and I hope to begin the Slouchy hat over the weekend.

So for now I’ll build my courage and continue with knitting the project I started which I think I can turn into a beautiful cowl , so not all is lost!

IMG_2075.JPG

Isn't it just amazing!

Indhoos   

I tried to learn knitting at work with a group of old ladies who used to do a knitting class every Thursday. They gave me needles and yarn and after few failed attempts on my part, they declared me a failure as a knitter and told me that some people are just not born to knit.

I still have my supplies and now I even try to crochet. Last night I crocheted a very distorted looking bottle cover for my daughter's bottle.

Keep up the good work, I will watch your progress and maybe try again. That Cowl looks awesome and if you can make that you are a master at this.

Aaliyyah   

oh my god I wanna learn too. I always did, I just never managed to get up and buy the supplies. But, whenever i see on tv or outside someone knitting I wanted to learn it...

sis thanks am just gonna start from scratch too I have no clue how to knit icon_razz.gif ...thanks for da link.

salaam

Curly   

Update:

I've been pretty busy this weekend trying to knit something useful and it hasn't really worked out as I hoped. One piece of good news is I've finally got to grips with ribbing both 2x2 and 4x4 so I started knitting some fingerless gloves. However to my dismay the pattern is for someone with anorexic hands lol, although not all is lost as they'll make cute gloves for one of my nieces smile.gif .

As for my cowl :( I followed the pattern with what little skills I had so that means no garter stitch that was before I learnt how to switch stitches from purl to knit.

P1010750.JPG

Here's a picture of my 1st attempt at knitting a cowl....

P1010749.JPG

Not a bad attempt though, if I do say so myself :D , but I am half tempted to unravel the whole thing and start again, with a garter stitch this time. I believe the garter stitch is what gives the cowl the much needed stretch it needs to fit over your head. So I haven't been able to graph the piece together due to it's stiffness.

The plan is to continue with the other fingerless glove and adapt the pattern to fit my real size hands, I'll keep you all posted!

Let me know how you all get on, I'm glad I've inspired you all to start knitting. I find knitting really gives you patience, focus and hopefully some trendy winter warmers.

This is so nice smile.gif

Please knit some socks for me for the winter. In exchange I'll offer you my real life friendship smile.gif (if you live in London)

Curly   

lol socks I need to learn the basics first GG, but thanks for the offer.

After updating you on my knitting developments over the weekend. I decided to unravel the green wooly table cloth and do it properly this time round. I've managed to knit atleast 10 ridges/rows in garter stitch *woohoo* and it's looking the part! the pattern instructs you to have 44 ridges/rows so loads to go.

Curly   

I'm so proud of myself...I spent most of this weekend indoors and knitting but not just knitting the cowl but I managed to finish it and I started back on my fingerless gloves which are now complete!

:D My only annoyance is that the yarn I used for the cowl isn't as stretchy as the one used in the original pattern...so it doesn't have any of the give the cowl is suppose to have. I think I could risk it by washing it but I risk shrinking it instead.

I also think I should have thought through the idea of fingerless gloves in the first place...I'm now wondering what to wear it with and would it keep me warm? BTW they did fit I was a little too hasty with my initial judgements.

Enough with the moaning, I'm proud that I've completed them and the pictures will follow shortly.

I idly started knitting the hat now using my circular knitting needles have I haven't mastered...so this is going to be a slow and frustrating attempt at a Slouchy Hat. I'll keep you posted!

Curly   

Apologies for the long wait! I didn't think anyone was all that interested smile.gif .

But as I promised here are my knitted fingerless gloves which I'm so proud about and I hope to make some actual normal gloves or those cute little detachable mittens.

P1010762.JPG

And my cowl, I don't know what to do with just yet because of the colour I suppose. I think a soft grey would look amazing with just the right amount of stretch.

P1010756.JPG

My next slow and tireless project is the slouchy hat that I'm making in the same wool as the fingerless gloves...for practice sake. I think once I'm confident with it I can attempt it in a much more palatable colour.

Curly   

BTW here is the Youtube video tutorial if you want to try the fingerless gloves...

I suggest writing down the pattern as you watch because she's so fast!

Indhoos   

Wow lovely, maasha-allah...You did amazing with both. My fave so far is the Cowl, very cute. Anything that has a turquoise color will look good with it. Keep up the good work and keep sharing your work with us.