Sign in to follow this  
Instinct.Poet

Hip Hop...Afro-American Culture Or...

People seem to attribute Hip-Hop's success among the masses due to the assumed fact that Hip-Hop is black culture. It's a mistake that I can understand, since most of the faces one sees involved in Hip-Hop seem to be of African-American descent. But then again, when you watch the television, you don't see much Hip-Hop, or even rap. Only BET and MTV will play rap videos, and it's not like they've got real Hip-Hop on these two channels twenty-four-seven. So, when the casual observer walks along the "Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B" section of their local branch of Elecric-Fetus, Sam Goody, or K-Mart, all they seem to see are black faces. Therefore, it's only natural for the casual observer to think that Hip-Hop is black culture.

I'm here today to challenge this myth. And that's precisely what it is: a false myth. Sure, most of the exposed rap artists and emcees out there are African-American, but what about us? What about the somali hip hop artists, who express in real

poetical ways,like the forefathers of beloved somali,only diffrence being "ENGLISH".If one could count all the hip hop heads, one could easily see that Hip-Hop isn't black culture. Rather, Hip-Hop is a part of black culture and Hop's universal, dammit! It's universal because members of practically every society out there's rockin' to this shyt!!

But anyway i just wana hear what ya'll think about the idea that hiphop is Afro-american culture when it really is world wide.In the somali community they make it outragious like is the lost Ones culture.To me hip hop isn't clothes you wear,or music you listen to, or even the way you talk,Hiphop to me is way of life,just incase you didn't somalia was similar,with the poetical ways of the nomads and the proverbs based on reality and many other similarities.

I wana hear your points, on hip hop to being so afro-american or internationally shared view.

Put two cents in here.plz

Of course its their culture. They started it, how can you deny them that.

Hip hop is a culture that has 4 elements. Those elements are Mc(rap), breakdancing, grafitti, Dj. Its unirvesal because it has an aura of subculture. Japenese youth were tired of their strict customs so they adopted hip hop because it stood for rebelling. That doesnt mean that its their culture now. Somali youth started to rap yesterday that doesn't mean its theirs now. Everybody who enjoy hip hop owes it to those kids in the bronx who were told that hip hop is just a fad that will pass.

Come on dog rock n roll was stolen from black people now you want to steal hip hop too

If you go back to the history of hiphop..you will know it was for the african-american culture!

It originated from the bronx by black people..and back then Hip hop had strong messages about the black community and their socioeconomy.

Now...its just became mainstream and the only message in hip hop is to get more rims in your car...or more chicks! It's become distasteful really!

But like you said Instinct...Hip Hop is for everbody...just look at how successful Eminem i s..just don't forget who it came from ! and Why!

hip hop is american... rap can be traced back to africa.

but hip hop doesnt discriminate, every and anybody can join the culture...the movement.

Hip Hop has born in the African American community, but is now global. Almost every culture/people/country has their form of hip hop. For example, Somali hip hop. Its been inspired by Afrikaan amerikaan hip hop.