Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Facebook - The Good and The Bad

The Good: Being invited to parties and social events.

The Bad: Being tagged by your co-workers in photos you would rather not see, let alone anyone else. And if you untag yourlself, they take it the wrong way :( .

Continue..

The Good: Being in touch with friends and family members.

The Bad: Hmmmm ..... It is hard to trust some friends specially those you never met them in real life.

peasant   

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

The Good: Being invited to parties and social events.

The Bad: Being tagged by your co-workers in photos you would rather not see, let alone anyone else. And if you untag yourlself, they take it the wrong way
:(

Continue..

were you a victim of a bad kodak moment? I guess so :D

Pacifist   

Serenity I have a solution for you about the tag photos, on your setting you can set it to where you are the only one and the other person taging you can only view them. No one else can view it if you set it like that.

The Good like JB its an easy way to keep in touch with friends, family and classmates. I have recently found long lost friends and people I grew up with.

The Bad it can be addictive and I hate the endless invites of applications.

^ Pacifist, thanks! I actually already have that setting since last week, except I dont mind some of the ones I'm tagged in... and would like them to be viewable, but because of the ones I dont.. now no-one can see the pics.

The good- seeing others tagged (in an awful position) and having a good laugh at there expense/finding my kindergarten friends

The bad- mini news feed

NGONGE   

I see NOTHING good about that wretched site. It's called a social website but I could never think of anything more anti-social than that miserable place. Deactivate your accounts forthwith, people.

I remember a while back, someone posted a link to a Somali site on here where the infamous Andrew/Prince Kamal had put a collection of photos of Somali girls (in various poses and dress). There was uproar and people were talking about contacting his ISP provider and getting him banned! Yet, now, everyone is happy to setup a Face Book account and fill it with their most intimate photos and information!

If you have good friends you should keep up with them via e-mail (or even snail mail). Those that you would call 'old' friends are people who fell by the wayside and you either can't be bothered to get in touch with in real life or don't want to. Let history be history and don't waste your time trying to keep up with a million and one people.

N.O.R.F   

Ngonge,

What if you have a million and one family members and live abroad? Different time zones, high tariffs to call home, busy schedules etc. Emails are all well and dandy but the ‘interaction’ between all ‘friends’ on a website is a different experience all together and one that isn’t all doom and gloom (you old man).

Ibtisam   

Often I think about dropping off FB, (They call it FB commit suicide would you believe) But every time I go to close it, I find something new, someone I have not seen for yonks, who I can’t remember why I stop talking or why we no longer keep contact, or I reply to a message and I say, after that I will close it, but then I think, but if the person replies they will think I’m ignoring them. Then I always think of family and friends littered around the world, I can see their pictures, see what they are up to, when they sad, happy or have some news. I will NOT find out all these small things on e-mail, because often they are so small they are not worth the effort it takes to send an e-mail.

But one day close I am going drop off Facebook, SOL, and blogging. I am going to back to basics and do things the old fashion way. The bad thing about FB, MSN etc is because you start to think it is a substitute for seeing people, there are people I have not seen for ages, but it feels like I see them all the time, because I’ve viewed the billion pictures they post, further more you end up spending more time on people, in real life you may spend about 3hours with a good friend, on face book on average you may spend 2hrs on someone you are not particularly friends with, reading their random updates and checking out their pictures. I grantee you in real life that person you would spend about 20mins with them.

I have another problem with FB in particular, you add someone as a friend, they in turn sit on a computer with their friends and checking out your pictures, I mean what is that about!? Then you get a message and a friends request from a random stranger, saying hello, Your on my friends list etc. :eek: :mad: Or how about when GUYs say “have you got any pretty girls on your FB, lets check out their photos”. Say WHAT?! No you cannot.

Pheeeew redface.gifRant over

NGONGE   

You're voluntarily giving up information about yourself in such websites. Some people go as far as revealing everything and anything to do with their lives. It's as if Big Brother is here but he's a benevolent, caring being that we all love and would happily allow to monitor our lives! NEVER says I.

ps

Ask your family and friends to join SOL and then you can 'interact' with them through PMs.

Ibtisam   

^^^Since it is voluntary Ngonge, you can limit and monitor what you put out there about yourself.

P.s. WHat makes you think SOL is any better?? It is just missing the over dressed and photo-shot pictures of members. :D

NGONGE   

You can do anything you want. That's not the point. The point is that since that place is supposed to be a social networking medium, others will expect you to follow their example and broadcast anything and everything about yourself. It is similar to that ID card argument. The contention goes: if you don't have anything to hide, why are you opposed to it?

As for limiting and monitoring what you put in there, why would you do that if everyone else is openly hanging their washing in public? You would not want to be the only house in the street with its curtains closed (my Dutch friends in here will know what I’m talking about).

I don't want to go into a long lecture about personal freedom. It is silly to volunteer information about yourself that freely.

ps

North, yes I am paranoid. I don't need to get in touch with people via FB.

Reminds me of the incident of a girl I once met. She was all excited and over friendly as she sat on my table in some University canteen and shouted: hi NGONGE, don't you remember me? Of course, I did not remember her and I said so. But she was still very forward and extra friendly as she spat out the names of my entire family (and some of yours, heh). I wanted rid of her so I told her: you must have not been that important! Like a typical Somali, she assumed I was flirting with her. :(