Sign in to follow this  
AminaTammy

Half Somali Food Blog

Assalamu alaikum my brothers and sisters,

I would first like to thank blessed for inviting me. I created a blog that showcases traditional and modern Somali cuisine. I am a Canadian woman that has been married for 15 years to a Somali brother. We have 5 kids and 1 cat.

Now that I have introduced myself, I'd like to invite everyone to check out my blog. I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions.

Amina

http://tammyssomalih ome.blogspot.com/

Aaliyyah   

oh my god you'r that lady am speechless... smile.gif

I love your website...you are so awesome.

Keep up the wonderful work.

wlc to SOL...

salaam

Hassan_B   

A very Beneficial blog! Thank you Amina/Tammy. Even as a male I don't cook that much, at times I do get the urge to have a somali cousine.

This kind of a blog is wonderful. I'm already digging your very methodical sabaya recipes!

Wow!

Aaliyyah   

I have always known that bananas were an important part to most Somali diets. I just never realized exactly how important until I had a guest over for dinner.

I had just put a large helping of pasta onto a plate when I noticed that we ran out of bananas. My guest exclaimed

"Oh my God! God forbid there aren't any bananas!"

This person was dead serious. I on the hand hand couldn't stop laughing. What is it about bananas that the majority of Somalis love to eat it with many of their dishes? I can still remember the day I saw someone eat a banana with pasta. I remember thinking that it was utterly disgusting....until I tried it. Let me tell you, you have never experienced real Somali pasta or rice if it wasn't eaten with a banana.

lol Yeah we can not survive without banana. :D

Hassan_B   

A banana goes very well with the salty sauce and cools the spiceness of the bisbaas. Very taste. Here in seattle, other local muslim communities such as the cham from loas/cambodia, have started eating their meals with bananas...

Originally posted by Amina/Tammy:

Yes I agree to an extent, but, any food can be made healthier. Just by limiting the oil and ghee will reduce the amount of fat.

ghee used moderately is very healthy for you, not only does it fill you up with little food, but it also as many nutrients that are missing from the very processed oils we normally use.

Moos bariis iyo soor ama sabaayad ku macaanyahay. Baastada xataa kuma xumo in lagu cuno, but kuwaas ka horeeyaan.

Oobis, I guess the sister can't read Soomaali.

Eniwey, welkam to SOL.

canjeero2.jpg

canjeero3.jpg

*Sigh* Caloosha i yeereyso, it is trying in futile to establish a communication with those dishes, methinks. Fresh canjeero iyo fresh beer with koob kuleel shaah caddeys ah. Xaax.

Kool_Kat   

canjeero3.jpg

Just what the heck is on the left side of the plate? Indheheyga miyaa mise waa hilib ceyriin ah?

Amina/Tammy, welcome sis! Love your blog...

Ps, for some reason, I feel like there's a celeb in the house!

I like your blog as I introduced it to some girls I know and hey

the meals they've been cooking me lately puts a smile to my face :D

Besides why do you consider yourself Half somali as when you marry into a somali and I think you've learned the language by now then your somali as much as everyone else. If your children call you hooyo then your definetly somali too :D

Aaliyyah   

lol wacdaraha aren't you just lucky, bt am sure it would be a whole lot better and more convenient if you made them yourself ;)

Aaliyyah   

Wacdaraha, mashallah as long as you put some efforts to cook. cooking is fun..

Just what the heck is on the left side of the plate? Indheheyga miyaa mise waa hilib ceyriin ah?

Kool kat, wa ila eeeka hilib adhi oo qaydhin laakin isma odhan in ay waxaas qof usoo dhigeeso walasheen. Saan filayo wa tamaandho ama qudrad kale..bal aan ku dhawaaado oo sifiican u eego

salaam