Sign in to follow this  
Baluug

Something that got me thinking.....

Baluug   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5107360.stm

I was in another forum where I saw this BBC page posted along with the poster's opinion that some humans have become so "pathetic" they are worse than animals. While I don't really know the poster, I do believe he is a racist who most likely just as pathetic as the people he talks about in this news article. But anyways, I looked at the page, and it deals with women in Cameroon, Africa who perform something called "breast ironing" on their daughters, where the little girl is held down and forced to undergo "pounding and massaging the developing breasts of young girls with hot objects to try to make them disappear", in an attempt to "protect their daughters from the sexual advances of boys and men who think children are ripe for sex once their breasts begin to grow".

Hmmmmmmm......does this sound familiar? Sounds a lot like FGM to me. Now, when I read the page, I didn't see a Muslim name anywhere. No Xaawo's, Safiyah's, Khadija's, Maxamed's, none whatsoever. Just a bunch of "African" names. Now how likely are you to associate this practice with the prominent religions in Cameroon, which are Christianity and "indigenous beliefs"? Probably never even crossed your mind until I mentioned it, right?

So, why is it that when Somali people perform FGM(female circumcision), the practice is instantly associated with Islam? Why are we letting these people do it in the first place? What is wrong here? I believe that if the majority of Cameroonians were Muslims, this "breast ironing" practice would be immediately labeled a "muslim thing". Something for you guys to think about....

P.S. If anyone thinks I approve of FGM, they are sadly mistaken. I am against FGM in all forms.

U right MC Cattle ranger, they are very quick to a lebal a regional culture as Islamic just to damage a deen they so much fear.

Even FGM is practised by many non-muslim Africans, not to mention that it originated from that Kufaar of all Kufaars Fircoon himself.

Like many cultural practices it is difficult for people just stop practising it but amxumdulilah FGM is fast becoming unpopular within our society as we all become more knowledgable in our deen.

And in the meantime the enemies of Islam will continue to associate bad culture traits with Islam but u can only supress the truth for so long.

Actually, it's Muslims who associate FGM with Islam. A fair number of Somalis still believe it's part of the religion as most did at one time or another.

I know people who still believe that it's a religious duty, that uncircumcised girls are unclean and, therefore, should not pray or touch the Qur'an. That's how bad it is and always was.

FGM has always been associated with Islam, not by the West, but by the people who practice both. You can't blame everything on the West or Anti-Islam feelings, however convenient it may be.

Female gential mutilation is something not condoned by Islaam at all! It's a pharaonic practise but I've something important to add.

Female circumcision is something to be encouraged not in the form of the pharaonic one but cutting a bit and letting some 'blood' is sunnah and good from the islaamic point of view but the pharoanic mutilation is bad really bad and anti-islaam.

Actually the pharaons had other ancient traditions, which was that they used to throw young girls into the nile because they believed, that they had to give the river nile some sort of sacrifice in order to prevent it from flooding, I believe!

Islaam eradicated that bad practise but for some other reason we ended up not throwing young girls

into the river but FGM, it's really sad!

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

Actually, it's Muslims who associate FGM with Islam. A fair number of Somalis still believe it's part of the religion as most did at one time or another.

On the head.

Xoogsade   

Sakhar, It is not proven that circumcision for girls is sunnah.

Once I tried to convince my grandmother that islam has nothing to do with circumcision for girls, she replied sheekh hebel(who is well known and respected) said there is the sunnah kind. My word didn't count against the sheekh of course and instead of telling her the sheekh was wrong on this I had to drop the whole conversation. The sheekh had other good qualities and I didn't want her to see him in a different light so she abandons other good works of his. It is very unfortunate.

We need to give up age old traditions that have no roots in islam.

Nephissa   

perform something called "breast ironing" on their daughters, where the little girl is held down and forced to undergo "pounding and massaging the developing breasts of young girls with hot objects to try to make them disappear", in an attempt to "protect their daughters from the sexual advances of boys and men who think children are ripe for sex once their breasts begin to grow".

Subhanalaah and they call ^ protection? Why don't these retard boneheads flat iron young boys penises? In my books that's what's having your daughters best interest as your priority means.

-Lily-   

Isn't that cancerous? Not to mention dangerous. How sick.

Female circumcision is something to be encouraged not in the form of the pharaonic one but cutting a bit and letting some 'blood' is sunnah and good from the islaamic point of view but the pharoanic mutilation is bad really bad and anti-islaam.

Sakhar, where is the proof please? This is unfounded.

Originally posted by Tyjwania:

Why don't these retard boneheads flat iron young boys penises?

Ironing penises...lol

Come on now, wat woman would wanna a man with retarded minnie johnson..Besides two wrongs don't make rite.

Da story reminds of the Padung women in Burma/Nepal & Thialand web page and Chinese foot binding web page . Young gals are made to wear brass rings around their necks in the case of Padung women. The brass rings elongate their necks. The Chinese foot binding once considered as status symbol in imperial China was crippling practice. Still today, elderly Chinese women can be found with severe foot binding deformaties, ironically a lot of them in western China where there is significant Muslim population. There are many wierd cultures in this world. They are all diffirent but they share one thing in common. They victimize women just to amuse men. lucky, times are changing for the better.

MC Xamar...You are beginning to sound like typical Muslim. Blame the infidel instead of owning upto our crimes/faults. True, there is western bias, but Muslims do little to dispel these biases. If anything we reinforce these prejudices by proclaiming Allah sanctioned a practice like FGM.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Yo-Yo Ma:

If anything we reinforce these prejudices by proclaiming Allah sanctioned a practice like FGM.

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't say such things!! An ignorant minority of Muslims believe this is an Islamic practice, while the other 99% don't, and many Muslims have spoken out against it. Yet, it's still the ignorant minority who the media listens to and talks about on the news and in the paper. Why?

Som@li   

Some of strangest cultures, which is more damaging than all the above is carried out by Surma people in Ethiopia.

DSC_1003.JPG

050615-QZD06041_ART34004p211_labret%20of

The bigger the ring, the more attractive. :D Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder!!

More>> Surma People.