Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

So I'm reading Essence......

and it says the top 25 most inspiring black women I'm reading through Katrina relief inspiring Oprah Winfrey,WHO women and children Ambassador/Supermodel Liya Kebede,Medicine researcher and female surgeon pioneer Lisa Johnson,Child programme focussed Jill Scott

And.......

Ayaan Hersi Ali

Here's what they featured about her.....

"BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL-Reason?'For daring to speak up for Muslim women.'

Ayaan Hersi Ali is not the kind of woman you'd think would inspire death threats .But she's also not the kind to hold her tongue.A Somali native raised in a devout Muslim family,Ali 36 fled to the Netherlands in 1992 to escape a arranged marriage ,and found work as a translator for social services agencies.There she heard troubling stories from Muslim women enduring abuse at the hands of their husbands, and realised she couldnt remain quiet about their plight.In 2003 she won a seat in the Duth parliament and championed measures to protect Muslim women.She even made a short film Submission which condemns the treatment of women in Islamic societies .Death threats followed and the director of the film was murdered.But she continues to speak out "We have to be able to examine our religion as a way to embrace that which leads to progress"

Loool,hilarious but then again I'm not surprised.

Did anyone else read this month's issue of Essence?

^ No, I don't usually read Essence (Glamour is my pass-time of choice).

Well, about Ayan, yeah she's flying high these days. But that was what she was working towards all along. I'm always surprised by how much attention she gets, both from Muslims and Non-Muslims.

Oh well.

Ps: Good to see you back!

Jacpher   

I just checked the Essence page and I can’t believe they listed Ayan Hersi in the same column as Oprah, Jada, Senator Obama’s wife and That’s So Raven. It must be very humiliating for these ladies to have their names next to Ayan Hersi. I wonder what criteria they used to make the list.

While Ayan uses fame for her own benefit and shame her culture/country/family, other women in the list fund & support organizations and networks that make differences everyday.

-Lily-   

The information is incorrect, but then again I always thought ppl wastedd precious brain cells on that women and her doings.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

I just checked the Essence page and I can’t believe they listed Ayan Hersi in the same column as Oprah, Jada, Senator Obama’s wife and That’s So Raven. It must be very humiliating for these ladies to have their names next to Ayan Hersi. I wonder what criteria they used to make the list.

While Ayan uses fame for her own benefit and shame her culture/country/family, other women in the list fund & support organizations and networks that make differences everyday.

LOL - at the whole ridiculous mess. Essence doesn't know anything about Hersi. It's always dangerous when Americans(and American publications) venture to comment on world matters. And I doubt most of the other ladies has heard of Hersi either.

Naden   

Never mind that Ayan Hersi heffer, I can't believe they put Jada Pinkett-Smith on the list. The woman is a two-bit actress and a vomit-inducing singer. She's been on a different sort of list in my book since she and that big-eared husband of hers butchered my favourite Luther Vandross song, Never Too Much :mad: .

ElPunto   

Originally posted by naden:

Never mind that Ayan Hersi heffer, I can't believe they put Jada Pinkett-Smith on the list. The woman is a two-bit actress and a vomit-inducing singer. She's been on a different sort of list in my book since she and that big-eared husband of hers butchered my favourite Luther Vandross song,
Never Too Much
:mad: .

Huh! Whachu talking bout? Jada is a responsible, still married, well-spoken, non-drug/alchohol taking, black woman. Don't you know blacks have low expectations of other blacks :D:D

Naden   

^ I'm just sayin', if she'd kept her grubby little paws away from Luther's song, she would've been on my good side and I would have ignored her happily. But noooooo, they had to do it. They had to take my favourite love song and defile it like that. :mad: :D :mad:

Howdy people,

Ahura,Glamour?I guess I can kinda say I was obsessed with that mag at one point.Especially after all their features on the Tsunami survivors and the alarming articles they used to do on women's health and such.Oh and the fashion features were delicious too :D

Anyways you're all right not alot of people are familar with her and the real flow of her game.I mean she may be pulling the wool over these people but the only bitterness I had was that someone who has made a honest and clean REAL difference should have had her spot.(Preferably someone with decent hair too) icon_razz.gif but then again it is a magazine that is aimed at displaying bold black women and I guess that she is :rolleyes: