Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

For those who returned to gurigii hooyo

Ms DD   

Ngonge

Do think things thru my friend before you jump in with both feet and hands. I presume that you havent been to Somalia for a while whereas Xanthus and I have been. JacB is still there (I assume). This isnt anecdotal. And by saying Islam is strong in the west, I didnt mean that we are more vocal or loud. I meant muslims, I saw in the west, practice the tenants of Islam more than those back home. Those rioting against Rushdie/Cartoons doesnt necesarily indicate the strength of Islam but the limited freedom muslims have (in the west) in expressing their views.

Ibtisam   

^^I could not agree more. First take a trip back home Ngonge: oops I forgot, you are scared to go! :rolleyes: if you did you will see how easy going people are about religion and they are less conscious of sins and they are more scared of what people will say than Allah, and they are not constantly not thinking can I do this or that, is it hala, because in many cases they don't have to ask this, so they are less determined then us in the west who have to constantly question ourselves.

Most people pray because everyone is praying or because they can hear the adan or because it is part of their every day life, do you know how much one has to shift and struggle to pray five times a day, on time, it is not like we have the adan to remind us! nor does our manager close work while we all go and pray!

Ms DD   

^^ May long it continue :D

I think Islamic education is what is needed in that country.

Another reason Islam is flourishing here is the continuous attack on Islam (yes there is) from every angle which is uniting the people. The attendance of an Islamic lecture back in 2000 is considerably higher than lecture held nowadays.

Maybe I am generalising it too much but this is from my prespective.

Maybe I should go back to my Saudi Reports :D

Originally posted by Xanthus:

^^Pakistan recently bombed a school with 500 students in one go! not to mention the numbers in prison, the worse place for ulams!

Yeah, you right, things quite changed since then. Especially under Musharaf's. laakiin what I was referring to was at least they can gather in the public places, come out in a mass demonstrations, burn flags if they want to :D , these kind of things is impossible in other mentioned countries.

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

Islam is stronger in SOL
:D

Where in SOL, duqa? No dawa programmes amongest SOLers. The only active person I see in SOL is br. Nuur with his amazing eNuri publications in the Islam section.

N.O.R.F   

'Islam is in the west'. Any truth in this?

There is some truth in that and it depends on how you look at things. Would your kids become better Muslims in say Dubai or London? Allahu aclam but some of the things I see here in a Muslim country/region I simply do not like. Not to say it doesnt happen in London but,,,,

First take a trip back home Ngonge: oops I forgot, you are scared to go!

:D

In agreement with Cambarro and Xan here ya NG.

The difficulties in maintaing in the west makes one that bit more determined (if he/she is determined).

Just the bad manners gets to me more than anything,,,,,,

Malika   

I have heard some interesting stories of what goes on back home behind close doors and under those Nikhaabs..subhanallah!

My poor cousin went recently back home[wont say where,so to save myself from being lynched].It was his first time to set foot in Somali soil,his perception of Somalis,from back home in East Africa and those he had encountered in the West,were shattered!..Apparently there are brothels,prostitution is the norm,chewing,drinking seem to be the socially done thing,and many, many more horrifying stories..especially the scale of the killer disease AIDS/HIV..sexually transmitted disease seem to be at all time high..

Anyway's as always we will blame the current state of moral corruption on lack of proper governance,and chaotic situation,trauma[seems to be the excuse for unruly somali kids in the west].. :(

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

Yes ,, they practice less i tell ya

Mosques are everywhere, Maktabah's are every corner, Sheikhs are full and Kutubs are everywhere but ppl practise Islam less ,,,,,,

It is only those who came from the west who cry and excited when they hear the Athan and prayers ,,,,

Ms DD, Xan and North :D

JB is there right now and he's given some facts and some opinions in his quote above. Could you guess which is which? Come on, give it a try smile.gif

Ok. Sarcasm aside, can you PROVE to me that Islam is stronger in the West?

Ps

I’m not picking a fight with you, just trying to make this thread a bit juicier.

PPs

I don't have to visit Somalia to know that some Somalis aren't that religious. In the same way that I don't have to go there to find out that most are primitave icon_razz.gif

N.O.R.F   

^^Nothing can be proven akhi. But by observations only. Maybe Islam is not 'In the West' (mosques/scholars etc) but is there an argument in the practice of Islam being better practiced in western countries than in Muslim countries?

Ibtisam   

Mosques, Shikhs and Kutubs does not make a society more religious dear Ngonge. Can I prove Islam is stronger in the West, depends on a number of things, but overall, no one can prove such thing because it is hard to measure faith, but we can judge from the out look.

Also Jac has not seen the west, I, Ms DD and north has seen both sides, hence we are in better position to judge. in addition I am not attached to either side, so I am not as emotional as you guys in my judgment and can see it all objectively :D

you are just looking for a fight!

Well, the person can easily know about the west even if he/she is not there ,, it is easy to observe the west from distance even if you never lived there u know ,,,,,,,,

i think 70% of my family are living in the west and most of my friends too ,,,,, i know them better, i know when they were here and when they went to live there ,, i mean the difference ,,,

Ms DD   

Salaam

Has anyone been to any of the major masjids in London on Sundays? You see 100s of Somalis taking lessons (female and male). Just visit the masjids at Whitechapel, Tottenham high street, Regency park, Startford, even when I popped in Streatham masjid one day to pray, there were kids and ladies having lessons. I tried to compare this with Somalis back home, and all they talk about was the latest phone (I do mean the very latest) and where the next cash is coming from. YOu may say that quudkeeena is secured here and theirs arent. But they do have time on their hands. As North said, it is just an observation that we made, having seen both sides.

NGONGE   

Heh. Not looking for a fight. What I'm trying to do here is to show you how futile this discussion is.

You are talking out of your own observations and perceptions. Could it be possible that when you're in the West you mix with religious people (for obvious reasons) and that when you're home you mix with ALL sorts of people?

North,

No. There is no such argument. It's not a healthy argument. It's divisive and relies too much on my pet-hate: waxa la yedhi!

JB

Once you've seen one Somali, you've seen them all.