Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Why Women are more miserable than Men

Jamster   

Though I am not one to give much credence to these sorts researchs but I though I should share this with you laddies and gents.

Why do you think this is?

----

There's a dangerous sickness stalking the streets of Britain, invisible as the plague. I see it striking people down all around - boys and girls, men and women alike, whose wistful, pained eyes plead: "What's it all about?"

They've been bitten by the happiness virus - which guarantees a life of dissatisfaction. Because this "illness" isn't simply about being happy. This bug eats away at the soul because it tells the victim that he or she has the right to be happy - and that happiness lies just over there, perpetually out of reach.

What's more, it seems that women are affected in greater numbers than men by this affliction.

Before male readers turn the page with a snort, accusing me of crying pity yet again for poor, victimised women, let me assure you this assertion is based on solid academic research.

Two separate American studies have just concluded that women are unhappier than men. Meanwhile, here in Britain, research has established that women are ten times more likely to be severely depressed than they were 50 years ago - and twice as likely as men.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3658660

chubacka   

Whats interesting is that in da studies they done in the 70s it was the men who they found to be unhappier!

"The study found that women feel they have too many choices and too many responsibilities, which adds to their feelings of sadness."

Ha ha jst tell women what to do and all their unhappiness will disappear!

-Lily-   

"women are unhappier than men"

I wonder who is to blame for this? :D

I read something similar about people in general, that they expect to be happy at all times, if they feel down or upset they should rush to their GP for Prozac or to their nearest psychiatric ward for treatment. Any unpleasant emotion has been neatly categorized as a potential mental illness which is simply not true.

As for the article,

"The study found that women feel they have too many choices …which adds to their feelings of sadness"

Total Rubbish! It's because you are told you should be a well dressed, smiling, model look alike, executive of a billion dollar empire, ginger man baking mother of two, who when she isn't on romantic get aways with her hubby likes to fill her 'spare' time with charity and...who are they kidding! You're only one woman and you can only do so much. Prioritising what's important to you and what can be accomplished realistically without a nervous breakdown seems an obtainable goal. The same can be said about men.

Naden   

Another new study, conducted by Princeton University and released in August of this year, found that since the 1960s, men have cut back on activities they find unpleasant, but women have not.

Score 1 for men for removing unpleasantness from their lives, no wonder they've been getting happier since then.

If some women stop being such people-pleasers and control freaks, they too will score high on these happiness scales. Of course, the manner in which life proceeds may be different but who cares, beating men in the race for happiness is more important.

Cara.   

I'd watch out if I was the guy in the picture. The blond looks like she wants to stab someone's eye out, preferably the guy to her left.

Naden, we could just make them unhappy instead. Much less effort.

Chimera   

Talk about getting hit with the Irony stick i bet the ''staying at home dads'' are reaping the benefits

Those depressive women are probably like that mother of that old show Malcolm in the middle who wants to do everything, everywhere while the pops is relaxing and re-living his youthfull days

or they like Monica too uptight and always seeking to beat the next person while most men are probably like Phoebe or joey hehe

Chimera   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

^^^
off topic
but such beauties in your sig pic, Masha Allah.

actually my sig could be considered on-topic smile.gif