Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Tough question

You discover your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mixup at the hospital, not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the mistake?

I saw this question surfing the net and thought it every interesting. I've heard of cases where this happened and the parents discover the mix up years later...when the children are grown and then it's too late. However...when the child is still relatively young...would you exchange in that position?

I cannot imagine anyone doing it after bonding to the baby for a year (or more)...however I can understand them wanting their own child too.

If anyone answers yes to the above questions...what age is the cutoff for the exchange? And why or why not?

Chimera   

If my baby was mixed up with a Eritrean or Ethiopian baby i would return him/her because i want a ''Somali'' baby and i'm sure those Eritrean/Ethiopian parents would want the same

but if the child was parentless i would keep him/her and claim my bloodchild aswell

Ibtisam   

I would claim mine and keep the other regardless of what background they had. If I cannot do it legally, I would steal my baby back and move to my mothers hut in the Miyi or something (after I sue the hospital)

If they are nice people/ Muslim or I don’t turn out to be so selfish, I would ask them to move next door so we can all be together. It will be very inconsiderate and greedy of my to take both kids and leave them hanging. If they are bad parents, I’d knock them out before I run off :D

Malika   

This is a tough one!

I would want my baby back,but would like to be in a mutual agreement with the other parents to keep intouch with the other baby.I would learn to love my bloodbaby and yet still have the love for the other baby regardless of the situation.

Chimera   

It's not a tough question or decision unless your selfish, i would never forgive my biological parents if they had left me at the Gabresellasie's when they could have taken me back, correct the error and spare me the confusion of being a Somali on the outside and feeling Eritrean/Ethiopian on the inside

if they had left me at the Hirsi's it would still be akward and painfully confusing to meet your biological brothers and sisters one day yet not know a thing about them

that's not right

Elysian   

So easy it seems for the guys, emotions are something you easily can switch huh...

It is a tough and difficult question to answer, and I think it's impossible to know how I would react unless I've been through it. In the end I think I would want to be part of both children's lives.

-Lily-   

This is why it's the hubby's/sisters/mothers/best friends or whoever is with you job to guard the baby at all times and never let it leave their sight, if all else fails, you should hang on to it until you leave.

Or you could always have your own neon tag on it?

Zafir   

^^ :mad: @ neon tag. The questions were would you or would you not?

I would keep the one I got, screw the other one he/she don't know me like the other one does.

-Lily-   

^^LOL, I'm just trying to say, silly ppl let their spanking new babies out of sight.

I think I would think about keeping the adopted child...this is silly, I hate making excruciatingly difficult decisions that are hypothetical...goodness!

Chimera   

Elysian i have a nephew who's almost a year old(19sep) and i'm very attached to him that doesn't mean i would allow that to stand in the way of ''preventing'' a life full of confusion and doubt later on for this baby (if he was my wrongly mixed up son)

at least that's what i would have wanted if this happened to me as a baby, you just have to move on and embrace your true blood

btw i asked my sister and wether she would return her son if she was in this situation and her answer was....a BIG FAT NO!! lmao i don't get it, it's not like you carried him/her for 9 months lol

Buuxo   

This is not a simple yes or no answer ,obviously. I watched awhile back on 60minutes a similar case. in which the women decided to keep their babies(ones they raised) and to have contact with one another. It was sad in the end one of the women ,won both of the boys(when they reached their teen years).One was rich and the other was poor and a single-mother, imagine not living with your biological mother and also wondering the life you could of had,a financially stable one. difficult indeed, Ilaahay naguma keeno.

Wow. I don't know how people can exchange after being with a baby for a year or longer. That's so tough....

And pray tell...what is wrong with an Ethiopian baby? Is the beef with the country included with the babies as well?