Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Australia detains terror suspects

Australian police have arrested four people in the southern city of Melbourne after uncovering what they say was a plot to launch an attack.

The group was preparing a suicide attack on an army base, police said.

More than 400 officers were involved in searching 19 properties across the city before dawn on Tuesday.

The suspects include Australian nationals of Somali and Lebanese descent, and those arrested are due to appear in court later in the day.

Those arrested are aged between 22 and 26, police said.

This can't be good for our Aussie Malis

Worst terror plot on Aussie soil foiled

Counter terrorism raids have foiled what could have been a deadly suicide attack on Australian soil.

In a seven-month joint investigation, police uncovered an alleged plot by men of Somalian and Lebanese descent to storm the Holsworthy Army Barracks in Sydney, home to several thousand troops, and launch a suicide shoot-out.

It is alleged there had also been suspicious activity around other Australian Defence Force bases, the details of which have yet to be revealed.

"The men's intention was to actually go into the army barracks and to kill as many soldiers as they could before they themselves were killed.

"Potentially this would have been, if it had been able to be carried out the most serious terrorist attack on Australian soil."

Some 400 AFP and Victoria Police officers launched raids at 4.30am (AEST) on properties in suburbs in the Melbourne's north, inner city Carlton and Colac in the state's southwest.

They arrested four men, who are all Australian citizens, and are interviewing several others. The arrested men are a 26-year-old Carlton man, a 25-year-old Preston man, a 25-year-old man from Glenroy and a 22-year-old man from Meadow Heights.

They are expected to face the Melbourne Magistrates' Court later on Tuesday.

Mr Negus said the investigation involved a massive electronic and physical surveillance operation. Further investigations were being conducted both in Australia and overseas and more arrests have not been ruled out.

The men were seeking a fatwa, or religious ruling, to justify their plot, and it is alleged some of them had travelled to Somalia, Mr Negus said.

He said police believe the men were linked to a group called Al-Shabaab in Somalia and had been supporting the Islamic insurgency there.

Al-Shabaab has been declared a terrorist organisation by the United States.

Police will use Commonwealth anti-terrorism legislation to charge the men.

The Australian newspaper learnt of the investigation last week and agreed to hold off on publishing the story until Tuesday.

But the paper hit Melbourne streets about 1.30am, some three hours before the raids began.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland said he was disappointed with the newspaper and state and federal authorities would investigate the leak.

"This, in my view, represents an unacceptable risk to the operation, an unacceptable risk to my staff," he said.

Mr Overland said police would speak to Islamic leaders in Melbourne on Tuesday to reassure them of their continuing support.

"It's also important that I reassure the broad Islamic community here in Victoria that we understand that the overwhelming and vast majority of people of Islamic faith are not terrorists," he said.

Mr Overland said the 19 search warrants being executed could take more than 24 hours to complete.

The counter-terrorism operation, dubbed Operation Neath, involved officers from the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation, AFP, Victoria Police, NSW Police and the NSW Crime Commission.

Source: WaToday, Aug 03, 2009

SeeKer   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

They arrested four men, who are all Australian citizens, and are interviewing several others. The arrested men are a 26-year-old Carlton man, a 25-year-old Preston man, a 25-year-old man from Glenroy and a 22-year-old man from Meadow Heights.

.......it is alleged some of them had travelled to Somalia

:eek: :eek: That narrows it down considerably. I wonder who they could be?

I like the fact that they always assure the Muslims that they are not being profiled yet thats the first thing that the media latch on. :rolleyes:

Buuxo   

^Amiin.These draconian anti-terror laws are impossible to get by for average folk.

Alshabaab my foot.

N.O.R.F   

Wouldn't be surprised if the case is thrown out later in court. Seen it happen so many times where the Police arrest someone and leak details to the media. After the initial hoo haa gone they may discover that the evidence is all circumstantial.

chubacka   

^Lets hope so inshallah. Even in those cases though the police are usually reluctant to admit they were wrong and all the while these ppl are shut away from the world.

I heard this on the radio this morning and straight afterwards came a report about the awful conditions suffered by somali's in some refugee camps in Kenya due to overcrowding.

depressing and a half. :(

Paragon   

They were seeking a fatwa? Oh, I am so humour-done now.

What the heck does 'they were seeking a fatwa' mean exactly? Does writing and debate Islamic topics in forums make one automatically a suspect? Not that some of us are not already.

Does going to Somalia for a family visit make you automatically an Al-Shabaab fighter?

What about receiving calls and speaking lengthily to actual Al-Shabaab members on the ground in Mogadishu? A big big suspect?

Well, I am so-humour-done now then.

Allah u gargaaro? Are you kidding me folks? You want allah to watch over a gang of people that were planning on parting with hundreds of innocent lives?

Are you kidding me? What will it take for you folks to see that these terrorists dont deserve your sympathy?

Yesterday it was Germany and MN, today Australia. Can't you see that your lives are in jeopardy and we could be attacked at any moment?

THESE HOOLIGANS DONT CARE ABOUT YOU FOLKS BECAUSE THEY DONT VALUE HUMAN LIFE, WHY CALOOL JILEEC FOR A BUNCH OF HOOLIGANS EH?

PS: North, waxa sifiican u aqri inta aa meelaha si orod leh usoo galin, waayo, germani sheekadeeda aa ilaa iyo hada wadaa.

Orodoo aqri The authorities were warned by Somalis

U mean to tell me 4 guys where trying to attach military bases! Thats the lamest theory that i ever heard of to in prison some one.

May be they should locked up the kangaroos 2! they attach and punch aussies on the head daily.

^ How will we ever if that was there intention.

This folks were arrested on the their intentions , there is harldy any tangible evidence, boms, guns etc.

I have a feelings this is just a phase to prepare an all out attack on Alshabaab.

an intent to harm is a crime, what do you suggest, they wait for a helo of smoke and death? Further more, I am confident that there is evidence for this plot, oral, written or physical.