Sign in to follow this  
Sincere

U.S. grabs Canadian's $116 gift to friend.

Sincere   

This is an old article i found rather disturbing.The patriot act should be changed to the paranoia act.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003 A Britannia man's attempt to wire $116 to a friend in the Netherlands has been caught in a U.S. net designed to intercept money to terrorists. Said Ali, who came to Canada from Somalia in 1991, now has his money frozen by the U.S. firm Western Union because the recipient's name is Mohammed Ali -- a Dutch citizen who is also originally from Somalia. The name "Mohammed Ali" appears on a list of names linked to terrorism produced by the U.S. Treasury Department. According to Danielle Jimenez, a spokeswoman for Western Union, if either the sender's or recipient's name appears on that restricted list, the money is frozen until the person with the name appearing on that list can prove his identity. Mohammed Ali refused to surrender a copy of his passport to Western Union because he "did not want to give his passport number to the United States for fear of what they would do with that number and for his dignity," Said Ali wrote in a letter to Bay Councillor Alex Cullen, to whom he was appealing for help. "We are talking about a Canadian citizen sending $116 to another country and those funds are being impounded by a foreign country," an angry Mr. Cullen said yesterday. "I'm offended by a company holding the funds illegally." He said it is ridiculous to freeze money because it's being sent to someone with a name as common as "Mohammed Ali." "That's as common as 'John Smith' in the Islamic world," Mr. Cullen said. "He's a citizen of Canada and he's not a terrorist and he wants his money back. It's mind-boggling. It's an affront to Canadian sovereignty," Mr. Cullen said. "This is Said Ali, a Canadian citizen who lives and works in Canada and wants his money back. That's appalling his money is being withheld." Said Ali, 37, said he has known Mohammed Ali for 20 years and that his friend is employed by a shipping company. He is no terrorist, Said Ali said yesterday. "That's discrimination," he said of the situation surrounding his money. He also said he knows of three other people in the Somali community in Canada who have had similar problems. Said Ali said he wired the money on March 7. "I had sent money on previous occasions through another bank and had no problem," Said Ali wrote in the letter. "This was the first time I dealt with Western Union. The reason I chose this bank is that they could send the money quickly. The bank said there would be no problem in sending the money." When the difficulty arose in the Netherlands, Said Ali asked for his money back. "They refused to return the funds," he wrote. "The staff at the bank said she agreed that this was not fair, however she could not return the funds."

The Canadian government has protested vigorously against the extra-territorial application of U.S. law, but more research is needed to discover if this is the situation in this case, Mr. Doiron said. On the other hand, Mr. Doiron said the Canadian government wants to co-operate in the global war against terrorism. "It's a very peculiar time," he said. He encouraged Said Ali to contact his department again. Said Ali, meanwhile, is waiting for a reply to a letter he wrote to Western Union asking for his money be returned. Ms. Jimenez said Western Union is required to freeze the funds under U.S. law by the Office of Foreign Assets Control -- part of the Treasury Department. The restricted names are provided by U.S. and international authorities. "We need to comply with government regulations," Ms. Jimenez said. In March, the U.S. Treasury Department forced First Data Corp. to agree to pay a $3-million fine and review its Western Union money-transfer operations. That action followed an $8-million fine that First Data agreed to pay in a separate action in December. New York regulators accused Western Union of widespread violations of U.S. laws designed to cut the flow of terrorist money. The Treasury Department found problems with the methods used by Western Union to handle suspicious transactions. In another example early this year, Muhammad Ali, a New York-born Muslim, went to a Western Union in Brooklyn to send $80 for schoolbooks to a Connecticut friend. Shortly after, he was told that his transaction had been blocked because his name had appeared on a U.S. government list of known terrorists

Mhhhhmm, "Patriot act" ruling against other countries citizens and US Citizen?

It only takes a couple minutes and they clear your money. They never refuse to deliver the money once its cleared. Its just a process that takes minute. It happens to me all the time

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

This incident happened to one my cousin too ,he had to send a copy of his passport otherwise ,they wouldnt get his money back.

I do understand Americans being concerned about their safety but I wish the Canadian government would sometimes get involved in those incidents to protect its citizens ; and believe me their involvement doesnt happen quite often , which clearly shows who rules internationally the political arena ! :mad:

Sincere   

DA

I was under the impression their witch hunt was in the “unconventional†financial routes ( xawalaad and such) It never occurred to me Western Union was being scrutinized as well, especially when it comes to small cash like 150$ in this case. I’ve used this service on occasion, and I’ve never had a problem. And to think they have repeatedly refuted that the patriot act is a form of racial/religious profiling.

Section6er,

The couple of minutes wait doesn’t bother me, but the selective screening irks me. You can’t help but ask yourself what next? Electronic tracking implants for everybody with the name “ali†or “muhammedâ€

Bambina, didnt you know Canada is just another state of america.