Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

London Place Name Origins

Polanyi   

Shepherd Bush was originally called Safar Bush. It was founded and first settled by sheep herders from the Hawd region. They were later expelled when the anti-Spanish pact between the Ottomans and Britain collapsed. This can be verified by Oral Rastafarian historians who study outside the market.

:D @norfsky & :D @ Oral Rastafarian historians who study outside the market whilst smoking ganja.

Lambeth horta khalad baa ka fahanteen - let me tell you some of famous land marks in lambeth:

London Eye

Lambeth Place

Mi6

Kings College

St Thomas

Brixton Academy

its historical place and its has historical and current significance for the BME community in UK.

E.g.

Brixton riots

history of immigrants first residing in Lambeth

Jewish immigrants

Windrush immigrants

Polish

Somalis

and so forth and so on

nuune   

Lambeth horta khalad baa ka fahanteen - let me tell you some of famous land marks in lambeth

Meel ka cayaal suuq badan maan arag Lambeth, waan yaabey maalin dhaweed, maxaa cayaalka darbiyada wada fadhiisiyey, iyo odayaal sniffing bahashii udgooneed!

Halkaa ha iga joogto.

N.O.R.F   

There are:

Black Boy Road

Somalia Street

Would like to know the origins of the names given to those streets.

Sayid, Sowf London is nice.

B   

Originally posted by Norfsky:

Black Boy Road

Derived from chipney cleaners from the victoria era.

There are:

Black Boy Road

Somalia Street

There is no Somalia street in london - however there is Somali Road in Camden, surrounded by Menelik Road. so you can see where they are going with it.

B   

This is pure fabrication. What is this cover you speak off my friend? It is common knowledge that this name doesnt connote any racial overtones, but is a refence from the chipney cleaners from mary poppins musical/film.

chimneysweep-mary-poppins.jpg

You are a good man ninbrown, I dont want to add you to my growing list of people I will destroy. Please cease from personal attacks. This will not be tolarated.

On your other question, Seven Sister is derived from Greek Mythology my friend. They were the seven female spirits, who were the concubines of Greek gods. Many Somali people think though it was derived from the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers which was shown around christmas time in the early 1990s on BBC2 and sometimes on channel 4.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

Shepherd Bush was originally called Safar Bush. It was founded and first settled by sheep herders from the Hawd region. They were later expelled when the anti-Spanish pact between the Ottomans and Britain collapsed. This can be verified by Oral Rastafarian historians who study outside the market.

loooool.......what a history lesson.

Abwaan   

There are:

Black Boy Road

Somalia Street

For the Somali Road and Asmara Road, I once read that this was named after the World Wars and that was for the recognition of the soldiers from East Africa who were part of the British forces and also the support received from those communities.

N.O.R.F   

^Maybe but I doubt it.

Elephant and Castle:

The "Elephant and Castle" is derived from a coaching inn of that name on the site. The earliest surviving record of this name relating to the area is in the Court Leet Book of the Manor of Walworth. This local court had met at "Elephant and Castle, Newington" on 21 March 1765. Previously the site was occupied by a blacksmith and cutler – the coat of arms of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers features an elephant with a castle on its back, which in turn was used because of the use of elephant ivory in handles.

Coaching Inn means:

the coaching inn, sometimes called a coaching house or staging inn, was a vital part of the inland transport infrastructure, as an inn serving coach travelers. Although many survive, and some still offer overnight accommodation, in general they have lost their original function and now fulfill much the same function as ordinary pubs.

wiki

There I was thinking Elephants roamed the streets under Queen Vic.