Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

One Small Problem

Nephissa   

He has this thing he does with his nose. It's honking. About once every hour, he gets out a Kleenex and just starts making these god-awful noises and his eyes kind of pop out of his head. It sounds like a semi truck, I damn near ran off into a ditch last Saturday when he started honking in the car.

I know it is a minor problem, but it kind of bothers me for some reason. Is there someway I can tactfully approach this subject with him? Is this a medical condition, I am not familiar with and one that perhaps I should be more sensitive to?

Jacpher   

^That's too personal.

It depends on the relationship. I once worked briefly with a man who would make involuntary noises. Sometimes a high pitch sound. We had a working relationship but I didn't want to be in an awkward position so I asked others. I was told he had a medical condition that causes him to do these noises. I think they said Tourette Syndrome or similar disorder. Speaking of medical mysteries, I saw 20/20 Medical Mystery segment the other day. They showed hablo timahooda rifaaya. Gacmahooda ku rifaaya timaha madaxa whenever they feel bored. They can't stop until madaxooda qeyb ay yuul noqoto. It's a medical mystery that many people suffer.

You're too kind - thinking about how to approach the subject :D

I would just say 'dude, do you have some sort of a medical problem? 'cause that thing you're doing is a little annoying (and gross)'... then take it from there.

If its a condition, and there is no cure, just live with it. Otherwise, make him sort it out!

I've a relative who comes around sometimes and sleeps in my room with me - except, she snores. I know it doesnt bother her, but it bothers anyone who sleeps with her - and its inconsiderate when people dont try to sort out problems like that.

So when he honks, does anything actually come out? Sorry to be so explicit but I have a friend with a huge sinus problemo and she normally leaves a room to do that sort of thing, ocassionally she does it when it's just me and her. I have yet to develop an immunity to it; it curdles my brain. It's not so much a honk; with her you know there's fluid involved. An op. could help but she won't do it.

Maybe it's just a habit. There's only one way to find out. Take a peak into the discarded tissues. LoL.

Malika   

Sanboor baa wilka hayaa, he either has allergic reaction to something[YOU]..Lol am kidding hadee.. :D:D

Just ask him politely if he is allergic to something,what causes the constant need to blow his nose,has he seen anyone about it..and its up to him how he deals with those questions,its not like your insulting his manhood[God forbide].. smile.gif

STOIC   

Just imagine the embarrassment he might be going through with this condition. I doubt if it is something he enjoys doing it. I’m sure he is feeling ghastly when he is sneezing and dripping that ceaseless phlegm. If you approach him he might not feel good about it. You might make him restrain himself if you Try to pull away with facial expression every time he makes that noise (girls are good at this ;) ).Just try to be diplomatic whatever you do and don't dislike someone for something beyond their control.

Nephissa   

eheh, like euuuuw facial expression? or this [ :rolleyes: ]? can't just go right ahead and embarass him like that, dee. I'll just mention that he shouldn't blow too hard because he can burst his ear drum.

It's gonna be a hard subject because he probably has NO idea how often he does what he does! It could very well be a sinus condition.

Jimmy: I've seen that show. Hair pulling is common obsession, I do fal-falaad with me hair too when I'm stressed. Luckily I don't have huge chunks missing, for now atleast.

Sheh: I'm laughing so hard, I just snorted! What do I say: hand over the Kleenex aan fiiriyee? Akhaaas. :D .

NGONGE   

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

^ Why, because I like to get a good night's sleep without feeling like I'm sleeping next to the train station?

You have a cure for snoring? :D

Zafir   

Neph, learn to live with it, the sooner the better.

W: eeaw! That is disgusting.

M: It was involuntary reaction.

W: Can’t you see we’re eating.

M: have a talk with the dust mites then.

It’s a Sinus/Sanboor (as Malika pointed out) problem and I also suffer from it Ladies and gentlemen. Lucky for me, mine is only born when I have a cold, living with me then really becomes hectic despite my good efforts. I sneeze about 10- 14 times in every two minutes, and then I start to bleed. Heck, I even wake up sneezing half of the night.