Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Somali Christians

chubacka   

Morning ppl, need your intimate knowledge of the somali ppl.

I was talking to this lady at work about religion (she talks of little else) and she asked me if there were any Somali Christians, I replied I dnt know any to which she replied in a knowing way "Its probably because you do not mix with them."

I told her I dnt think they formed significant community in Somalia otherwise I would probably have of them, although there were some Churches in the capital in the past I assumed they were for the Italians.

To appease her I said "I am sure there are one or two"

Not satisfied wid my answer (not that I blame her) she went on the internet and she found this website that said Somalia's population is 90% muslim and 10% Christians. Which I found quite surprising. Call me niave but I really have not heard about or known any somali christians. So I am doing my own ameteur research, jst wanted to know if you guys knew of any somali christians, is there any particular place they live any tension b/t them and the somali muslims etc...

Thxs in advance

Baluug   

Somalia's Christian population is far, far less than 10%, more like 0.001%, but I would guess there are around 2,000 of them in Somalia(just a guess I pulled out of my @$$ :D ). But I have met a Somali christian(also the gay guy I mentioned in the other thread), he didn't try to convert me or anything, at that time I had just became Muslim. I have also seen Somali christian websites, and according to my ex, she said there were "a few families" in Muqdisho that were christian, but not very much. From what I have heard, there's not much tension between them and Muslims. Basically in any part of the world, people won't bother you unless you bother them first, so they must keep to themselves.

If you live in London then I would direct you to shepherd bush near the market gate you will find Christians preaching the word with Somali translated bible, I once spotted a Somali man with them who was preaching deliverance in the name of jesus.

looooool ,,,,,

I know some of them in Somaliland but they are just few. There are some well-known Somali christian families like Michael Mariam who was a femous somali politician.

Biixi   

"this website that said Somalia's population is 90% muslim and 10% Christians"

"jst wanted to know if you guys knew of any somali christians, is there any particular place they live any tension b/t them and the somali muslims etc..."

It is a fact that Somalis are 100% Muslims, what percentage of that practices the deen is any body guess. Having stated that fact, Somalis looking for an asylum have used many claims to gain it. Tribe, Religion, sexual orientation, Forced marriage...etc.