Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

How Many Somalis in UK?

^^ I know bro. Usually, I choose "others" or precise Somali when filling all these forms...

PS: I don't think most Somalis view themselves as "Black Africans" thanks to all the claims to "Quraish, prohetic ancestry" etc.

Jacpher   

^Why not black or Africa?

Isn't "Quraish prophetic ancestry" more of a myth and "Black African" visibly evident?

Jacpher   

I don't know how can one remain oblivious to the fact their skin color is yelling 'black' 'African' yet they choose 'other' or 'none' category. Do you need any more evidence than your own skin color?

What's there to gain? A new race called 'Other'? :confused:

Sorry for going off the topic.

Well, to simplify things, I lately chose "Black African", but Somalis, and generally, East African Cushitic nations are hard to define (not that the concept of "races" is not itself a very simplistic one, at any rate).

For instance, Somalis may simply be muslim Oromos ("Somalised") with an Asian element, and genetically close to Egyptians (themselve a mix of Berbers, ancient Cushitic Egyptian and Nubians, Arabs etc), Yemenites etc while many "Arabs" have been more or les "Arabized"...

Fabregas   

@Jimcaale, waa xiliyada lagu jiro(wadaanki)!

icon_razz.gif

Somalis are confused as hell with regards to their ethnicity or race( if there is such a thing). Black African describes them perfectly...lakin waa dad kibray......

Jacpher   

I'm better with African names.

I think African/black is the most suitable choise in the selection. However, If I had Carab, Cadaan, Madoow or Other. Choosing Cadaan or Carab is just as good as Madoow. Other is just out there for the confused ones with identify crisis. It's open to any interpretation like half human half alien or mixture of daanyeer & doofaar. I think anything would be appropriate except 'Other'.

NinBrown   

estimates from late 90s was 90+ thousand, then there was the influx of Somalis from EU. I would guess 150+.

Anyhow where ever you go in London you see one...and every area is got Somali presence.

LX...r u working on a secret project.

Norf...Emirates is more suitable...since most Somalis are Arsenal fans

Laba-X   

Salaan Sare hamaan...

North, A Cadaan friend working on a project with the Somali community has enquired about it.

NinBrown, lol Maya ina-adeer, no secret projects at all.

Jimcaale iyo Abu-Salman, the Somali Quraish isn't a myth at all guys. I am Hashimi by the way! :D You must be the Bani Zuhra!