Sign in to follow this  
FatB

uk honour killings

FatB   

I was just reading the paper on my way home from uni, were the large heading splashed across page 8 of today's paper heard "dad kills daughter in honour kill"

the article when on to say 25 women have been a victim to honour kills with another 100 cases being examen!

what is going on uk? is this true or just another media hype?

N.O.R.F   

^^Kurds are Asians? Yes the father who killed his daughter for having a boyfriend.

There was an Indian girl who was taken to India on holiday where she declined to wed her cousin thus bringing shame to her family but never returned.

If i remember correctly.

NGONGE   

^^^ In your opinion and that of fellow readers, what should Somali families do if they believe that their daughter has brought shame to the family?

Ps

Shame could be anything from sleeping around to wearing a tube top bearing the Ethiopian flag.

N.O.R.F   

LoL at Ethiopian flag.

Each to their own ways but one would obviously be inclined to think things through first.

What your take on it?

In Burco ,, they will shoot her or karbaash her

In Hargeisa ,, they will send her to the jail or throuw her out of the family.

In Borama ,, they will only give her some canaan

In Berbera ,, they will throuw her out of the house and let her live in the streets (punishment) ,,,,,,,,

:D:D:D:D

NGONGE   

Very diplomatic reply there, North. ;)

My personal preferred treatment is to disown her and get it over with. This would also apply to a boy/man that brought shame to his family. Of course, before getting carried away with the whole notion, one has to define shame! In this instance, I would class it as something that does not meet with the familial principles and ethics.

N.O.R.F   

For some people a girl not wearing her xijaab or a boy with a funky hairstyle is shameful while for others its not really that bad. I suppose it depends on the family and their strictness.

Educating them when young will not always lead to them being model kids/adolescents. Its all in how one handles any given situation when it arises.

Ms DD   

I personally would disown them and forbid them to never darken my door. But killing them..subhaanallah..these people are mad!

Aaliyyah   

^^^I don’t believe disowning your child is the solution.

One should raise their children to the best of their ability. That is the responsibility you have as a parent. How one turns out in adolescence is totally up to them, if they start dating, take off their hijaab, and what not, you will to live with it. What is disowning them gonna solve?

I recently heard an Indian man, who tried to kill his own daughter by running his car over her. I think she was over at her bf's house for a week and that must have been a shock to him. I mean hey that would have been unacceptable by us somali folks as well, it doesn’t fit our culture nor is it religiously tolerable.

However, what would one gain from killing his/her own child?

Obviously you would gain nothing not to mention that it is haram to take a life.

wa salaamu alaikum

Ms DD   

No sis. You misunderstood me. If all else fails, then I would disown them. Disowning comes after I do everything in my power to make them see sense. By the way..Taking off hijab, dating etc wouldnt be a reason to disown them. But the things that would make me disown them is when they kill innocents, change their faith, their sex or become gays. I am sorry but I couldnt tolerate any of this. This may not be PC to say but it doesnt matter.

Aaliyyah   

^^ now I see what you meant sister.

You do have a point. However, I would hope when I have kids my parenting methods would not fail me insha-allah.

There is no way I am going to tolarate a child who would be any of those reasons you mentioned above. subhanalaah May Allah protect us from raising such kids.

wa salaamu alaikum

Malika   

They say its honor killing, but now days, hardly anyone even knows what honor means, or what it once meant. Is honor killing permissible in Islam, I believe not,in this context. I think honor means a good opinion of the people who matter to us. In this case their superiority complex of the family over the alleged boyfriend’s clanship. Honor differs from morality, the principle of morality are universally true, in all times and places. But what is honorable depends to some extent on the composition of the honored group.

This young girl was severely mistreated, not only by her family but by the justice system. The police ignored her cries for help on four occasions…May Allah rest her soul, he is the only judge of her!

The family could have put their pride aside, and marry the two love birds...whats wrong with being the wrong clan? Subhanallah!