Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Racism in Mosques: Modern Bilaal’s

Abtigiis   

After praying in two dozen different mosques in some Southern African countries, it came to my attention that something seemed so similar in all of these mosques. They are run by Indians, the Imam’s are either Indians or Arabs but in all of these mosques the Mu’azzin’s were black Africans. Whether this was by happenstance or that the Indians took the Bilaal role in the Saxaaba quite literally was not clear to me.

Until one day a letter sent by a chairperson of rural mosques were delivered to my friend Sheikh Ahmed who works for the IIRA (international Islamic Relief Agency). The letter read:

“ Dear xyz,

The construction of all the mosques is near complete. We have enough Imam’s but please assist us with five Bilaal’s.

I saw that by my own eyes.

I have also noticed that most Indians smoke cigerrettes inside the mosque perimeter but talking to one another is frowned upon. Of course, when the blacks and non-indians commit this mistake, they are scolded vehemently more than when the culprits are Indians.

Malika   

A&T,

The history of these places will shade some light into how things operate in these areas. If you look at mosques in East Africa you will find the Imaams are black- as history tells us these area had black muslims for centuries..Now it is different for the southern states,as perhaps Islam came with the Indian Merchants/workers etc..

Malika   

^LOL,troll laguguma arkin..I am around my dear friend..time is running away from me and am chasing it around..Otherwise all is good.

heh@the swahili.

NGONGE   

Reminds me of the Somali madman who whilst we were cleaning the mosque, went to the microphone and started hitting it and saying 'testing, testing, 123'. Once he realised his voice was loud enough and could be heard all over the mosuqe (even in the toilets), he started singing 'magic moments when two hearts are caring'. :D