Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Literature Quiz

Mowgli   

lol@nudist & Blake, I think that was Byron? Wasn't Blake the religious one

"prisons are built on the stones of law, brothels with bricks of religion" from Marriage of heaven and hell

Blake was anti established religion...but still believed in Jesus...oh yeah, as he couldnt be nude in public...his wife and him used to enjoy it in the privacy of their own home or garden. AS for Byron...never studied him in depth...dont know if he had nudist tendencies too

Nurudin Farah won’t republish his previous works, because he had close ties with the Barre regime and he wrote in their favour. Even so, I find his work inaccessible for many people, and many Somalis, because his work contains intense vocabulary – he writes for western academic elites, not for Somalis.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Animal Farm:

Nurudin Farah
won’t republish his previous works, because he had close ties with the Barre regime and he wrote in their favour.

AF, i was under the impression that he was against the Barre Regime, If my memory doesen´t fail me , i remember him criticising the Barre Regime right in our living room.!!

^^ I’m talking about his earlier works, because his publisher tried to republish his earlier works, and because he had a connection with the regime he said some positive things about them – that is why he refused to republish his earlier works, because he was exiled afterwards, and yes you are right he hated the regime afterwards, I’m talking about his work before the exile.

Viking   

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

^^ Very good and close Hecuba, anyone care to fill the rest in?

8) In ‘Things Fall Apart’ what is Okonowo’s great flaw that leads to his downfall?

Okonkwo was a complex character with many flaws but I think his biggest flaw was his rage, was it?

winnie   

i could only answer a handful of these q's and i'm actually switching to english lit.

i feel ashamed. :(

STOIC   

So who wants to whet his intellectual curiosity? I know I am.I remembered this topic I started some time ago.One completely fascinating thing about litreture I have noticed lately in my readings is the magic that surrounds characters in a book.I am currently reading Victor Hugo's LE Miserable.The thing I like about my lately habit of reading litreture text is that there are no deadlines that are presing me unlike when I was in school.Sometimes I wonder why I never started reading this texts long time ago.I have found a great old bookstore that sells books far cheaper than Barnes and Nobles.

Its time to test the incredible wisdom of SOL'ers. If all the questions I am asking to you is merely a review then excuse my mental handicap of the world of litreture.

1. Raisin in the sun by Hansberry was a play about what?

2. Despite his abusive nature toward his wife this poet was declared as an embodiement of romanticism.

3. What is the name of the heroine in Ibsens A "Doll House"

4. who was the Herlem Reinaissance poet who asked "What Happened to a dream defered"

5. What is the name of the main character (Who was jailed for stealing a loaf of bread) in Victor Hugo's Le Miserable

ALOHA!!!

Naden   

1. An African-American family in 1950s Chicago comes into some money through a life insurance policy.

2. No idea :confused:

3. Nora

4. Langston Hughes

5. Jean Valjean

STOIC   

Naden, you got 4/5.You are Smarter than most .Now go ahead and become the genius one by figuring that answer ;) .